1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

worth it to buy service manual and DIY?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Encalibur, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Encalibur

Encalibur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a v, delivery on the coming Monday, and already looking into accessories and what not. But, the extra costs do add up!

I am wondering, is it worthwhile and doable, to obtain a service/technical manual for the Prius v and perform the less intensive maintenance work yourself?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Theres not much to do besides oil, filters and rotations. And then only after 36k when the dealer stops doing it for free. Maybe if your going for 300k miles.

3. Sience2011

Sience2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased 2005 Prius manual $500 Hybrid section or parts are all connection between blank box. not much help you to modify purpose.

4. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You also get full access to all Toyota service manuals through TIS (Technical Information System) for Toyota, Scion, and Lexux here; https://techinfo.toyota.com . You can sign up for a 2 day subscription for $15 and view and save (print to file and convert) sections of the Prius v service manual to your harts content (for 2 day at least). I would use the these service manuals for more complicated modifications. Normal service stuff is covered in the PriusChat forums.

Bill the Engineer likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur with all above.
    Toyota probably covers the first 2y/25k with their "ToyotaCare", although I don't know about Canada. The warranty might be different up there as well....you'll have to noodle that out for yourself.
    Whether you let them do this or not (if you're covered by ToyotaCare) is up to you, but given the high cost of the oil and filters......I'd probably do it...maybe.
    After that, as stated above, it's mostly filters and fluids out to 100K.

I would not buy the OEM service manual. The G3 has been out for a few (3) years and so there are aftermarket service manuals as well as electronic sources (OEM and otherwise) that will get you through all of the easy maintenance and repairs WELL past the warranty period. The only thing that's a little goofy are the brakes, but there are work-arounds for this as well, and unless you're a moron (or you just drive like one) you're not going to have to swing wrenches on your brakes until you're well past 100K miles---0r 160,000 clicks if you're still clinging to the metric system.

You're going to have to save for school for the crumb-snatcher---even in the frozen North.
    Start out now by not giving your money to the dealership's maintenance department, unless it's for a major repair.

Good Luck!

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was fortunate and found a CD with the Service Manual on line before it was pulled. I think there are quite a few items that I would tackle DIY with the help of the Service Manual that I probably would not without.

Of course, I can always go to Toyota TIS and download the particular section that I need at any time. I am not sure that I would pay $500 for the hard copy manuals with the TIS service available.

7. Encalibur

Encalibur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My thoughts exactly. I've already splurged leasing the new car as oppose to going used, so i'll be penny pinching for a while. The little pooper is a money pit as he is... thinking about costs for sports, lessons, summer camps, college, +++ keeps me awake more than his crying do at night

Unfortunately ToyotaCare in Canada don't come with free oil changes and check ups unless a hefty premium is paid for the extended package. And even then, regular maintenance work are only covered to a certain, limited, point.

Thank you for the tip! I'll get the purchasing the 2 day access and will print off the manual should i need to (see if i can print it off at work for free :) )