1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth it to buy the service plan?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bendial80, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Bendial80

Bendial80 New Member

Is it worth it to buy and pay interest on the service plan? Seems like after a 5 year loan you would end up spending MORE money on service than you would if you just got the service done and paid for it when you needed it.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bendial @ Aug 2 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]489334[/snapback]</div>
    If the prepaid service plan was a bargain for the purchaser than the dealer wouldn't sell it. This car needs less maintenance than others.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Prius maintenance consists of oil and oil filter change, tire rotation, and inspections every 5000 miles. At 15K intervals, throw in new engine and cabin air filters. Minimal cost, you can do the air filters easily yourself without getting dirty. The car even reminds you when it's time for service.

The only time prepaid service might be worthwhile is if you are the kind of person to delay maintenance based on cost and you may screw up your warranty. Don't finance it with the dealer in any case as part of the car loan, that would just be um, not smart.

If you want to get prepaid maintenance so you can pay once and forget further payments until your warranty is up, buy it here at PriusChat/WarrantyShack. Genuine Toyota Financial Services warranty, good at any dealer, just cheaper, available from the same source as the extended warranty. When you fill out the online form you get a quote for both.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is a thought. Take the money one would spend on a prepaid service plan and put it into a money market account paying 5% interest. I bet you come out ahead. :)

5. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 3 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]489807[/snapback]</div>
    I told the dealer I could get the extended warranty for under $1000 through some "connections" and he offered it to me for $800... So I took it...

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I have to pay $100-$200 extra over the life of the car to never have the dealer hound me for a "transmission flush" or a "fuel injection cleaning" or some other superfluous service, I'll pay it.

It's so nice to just drop off the car, and pick it up again, and be done with it.

After owning a maintenance-hog Porsche, I was seeking something that was completely self-contained and mindless and even appliance-like...this suits me perfectly.

I know it's not the best absolute deal for the work done, however.

But (like shopping at an expensive boutique)...on rare occasions, the experience itself does have some sort of value, at least to me.

7. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I negotiated 3 years servicing as part of my package. Also got free mats and £1000 off (about $1900 I think). It ensures a free courtesy car and no hassle. Did the same with my wife's Aygo.