1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth it to replace headlight for minor water spots?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Mar 30, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have some spots and drips of water dried up inside my left headlight from a few high powered car washes, that the dealer has agreed to replace for free while I'm under 36k miles. Well they now have the part in stock but I'm still a little apprehensive about getting it replaced. Will the headlight bulbs match color? Will this "cosmetic" repair change the condition of my vehicle (ie it's resale value)? Will they have to tear my bumper apart for this? Is it overall worth it?

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That leak may be minor now...but it won't always be and why risk having to pay to have it dealt with? Just have it fixed...

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I don't think you can be conservative in hopes of something not getting worse. Or Non-Repair your way to happiness.

If it's OEM parts? As far as headlights go, there shouldn't be any difference. You could ask them to replace the bulbs in both...just to make sure the brightness is uniform..but as far as the casing? I'm assuming they should be identical, except hopefully the new one won't leak...and won't have water spots.

I can understand being nervous about any repair, but you are under warranty. What do you do? Once past warranty, you become responsible for the bill. A headlight casing that shows obvious signs of leakage or holding water WILL reduce your resale. I think you have to get it fixed...and if they don't get it right? Take it back.