1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would a hybrid make sense for me??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by des101, Jul 18, 2007.

1. des101

des101 New Member

Hi!

This is my first post. I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla, and am thinking of getting a new car.
    I have no idea why. :) (Actually so far, knock on wood, very reliable and I have 99,000+
    miles and not much in expenses on the car. Knock on wood again.)

I have been lurking around here for a day or so. And also read up on Cartalk.com
    and about hypermilling, which I think can be done on a regular car to some extent.
    And also looked at Blue book prices (funny that a 2006 costs more than a new one?!)

I rode in a first gen Prius once, and it was so darn cool. So I was hooked right there
    and then. Every time I park near the Prius at work I think "Thou shalt not covet thy
    neighbor's Prius." But it is hard work.

Anyway here are my driving patterns:
    I drive about 15 miles in one direction to work. The drive is about 2/3rds highway.
    (right there I know that the electric engine really only works on stop and go type driving,
    at least on the Prius.) On weekends I go about 5-45 miles of stop and go driving only.
    During the summer, I do mostly stop and go driving. I use the A/C.
    This is the desert Southwest. (I got my car painted white after I moved here.)
    Average speeds are 35-40 on regular streets and 65 on highways that I travel on.
    (There are 70 speed limits but not where I am.) I tend not to take long trips. I
    am an average driver and have 0 tickets and a single back up accident last year
    (first in ages).

Other stuff:
    I am a teacher in the public schools-- so that means I am not rich!! I don't carry loads,
    bikes, etc. The size of the Toyota Corolla is usually no issue. I am short (5'1"). I am
    a treehugger. Half my bulbs are compact florescent and I am converting.
    I have a digital thermostat. I am thinking of putting up solar thermal panels(not photovoltaic cells)
    on my roof someday (might wait on for spray on solar cells).

Did I mention I am a geek? Ok, I am a geek.

One more thing, can a teacher afford a Prius??

Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.

--des

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, the electric motor works all the time, at every speed...it's the only thing to drive your wheels (sort of). The ICE runs most of the time as well, but certain very low speed conditions are good for the electric only running. A lot of people thing there are 2 distinct modes...slow speed electric and high speed gas...and it's just not so.

Next, whether you can afford it or not is b/w you and your accountant. Yes, a teacher can afford it, but not if you have a huge debt, high cost of living, big mortgage payment, 3 ex-wives you're paying alimony to, etc. If there's a teacher's credit union you might be able to get a good interest rate on a new car loan. Also, used '04s/'05s are pretty easy to find these days even in medium size markets, probably for prices in the mid to upper teens. They should continue to be quite reliable.

Your 15 mile commute should be very good since you'll have plenty of time for ICE warm up. What you describe is similar to the route I used to commute...but I changed my commute to utilize side roads instead of the highway (avoided completely now) and to allow me to keep my speeds in the 30-40mph range the entire time. I get around 60-73mpg in warm weather now days. Without changing your commute I'd say you'd be around 50mpg pretty quickly if you drive the speed limit and use good sense.

Finally, the Prius is the current champion of geek mobiles. You'll be in good company if you buy one.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honestly - it sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. Evan covered all the other details. I just wanted to vote. ;)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a teacher. I got an excellent loan from my credit union. If you do direct deposit and can also do instant payment that might help with the interest rate also.

My commute is 12 miles one way, mostly freeway.

I'm getting about 45 mpg or better.

I'm getting PV installed on the roof in a few weeks.

If you can afford to buy the car, it sounds like a good fit. Like you, I buy a car about once every ten years.

Do you have a niece or nephew, son or daughter to "inherit" the old Corolla?

5. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi another teacher here.

Well we traded in a completely reliable and sound 98 corolla with 145,000 on for the Prius and didnt regret it for a moment.

got an immediate improvement of about 18mpg.

But if you are a geek, you have to buy the prius, its the best gadget on the road !

6. des101

des101 New Member

There is an educator's credit union. I have a small home equity credit line with another credit
    union, and my house is paid for. I have no wives or anything . I have a dog and two cats and
    they are not going to college-- though I have encouraged them. :)
    I do one major home renovation thing a year (last year windows, this year swamp cooler, etc.)

I do direct deposit.

I guess 10 years might be about right. Some of them didn't last that long.
    Though I actually bought this in 2000 I think. However, I am guessing that this might be awhile.
    I usually think a logn time and then do something. I couldn't drive
    due to medical issues that have straightened out. I have had several compacts in the past-- Honda
    Civic; a Datsun; another Toyota as well as a couple beaters. I have never bought a new car.
    But I have had a couple cars with loans. The Honda was the newest car (at the time) and was
    3 years old I think. A city truck hit me and it was never the same after that.

I think I would get very good gas mileage as I think I am actually getting better than the fake
    EPA mileage, though I don't really know. I am a careful, annoying driver. :)

My nephew (only one) only drives macho trucks.
    Kelley Blue book rates my car as having a trade in value of $1775-2325.

--des

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]480747[/snapback]</div>

7. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wether you know it or not, a hybrid makes sense for everyone. Think past yourself and think about the environment. We need to get away from big oil, and a hybrid can get us in that direction.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The biggest question is whether you are ready for a new car. The most cost effective transportation is to continue with your current vehicle, but if you have decided it's time for a new car, then by all means a Prius is perfect for your driving.

Tom

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Then there is always the argument that the Gen 3 Prius is due out in a year or two. You might want to wait for the shiny new model, with better gas mileage and all of the good things you could possibly desire (well except LiIon batteries and a plug-in charging system....)

10. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bc104 @ Jul 18 2007, 06:01 AM) [snapback]480828[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this, but you have to decide if the Prii is fiancially feasible, especially with the finance charges, which would increase the time you would get your investment back. Realistically you can get a 40+ mpg car for thousands less, which would buy a lot of gas, and would probably be less to insure and register. Don't get me wrong the Prii is great, and it seems it would be a very good fit for you, but you have to make the decision what is right for your situation.

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that a Prius would serve you very well as long as you don't break the bank to get it. The people who tend to be disappointed with the fuel economy are those who a) drive very short trips only or B) like to drive well above the speed limits. Sounds like you experience neither one of those things so you should be good to go.

On the other hand, you are 100% correct that you can hypermile a regular car, and a Corolla is a very good candidate. If you don't want or need a Prius right now you could spend ~$170 on a Scangauge II in order to learn a little more about how driving habits impact fuel economy. (It's basically a computer that calculates fuel consumption in real time and over the course of the trip, the day, or the tank. Highly recommended for anybody with a "regular" car and an interest in saving gas.)

12. des101

des101 New Member

When I come back from vacation, I'll see if I would "break the bank". That's worth thinking about.
    I'll also see if I get any money off the sale of some real estate (not actually mine, but a long story).
    I'll be reading here meanwhile.

I might get a used one so I am not waiting til the next gen come around necessarily. (In fact, it might
    be time to get an 07).

If I plan on keeping it, I might get that Scangauge toy.

--des

13. Ehash

Ehash New Member

Hi there, fellow geek here, and stay-at-home mom and wife to a public school teacher - so I know the budgeting woes.

Yes, you can afford the car! We went through the educational credit union, and got a great rate on our loan because he's a teacher (and we agreed to use the "automatic payments" where they take the money out of the checking account every month automatically). We then went to the dealer, played the "underpaid teacher / stay-at-home-mom" card hoping for a bit of sympathy. We ended up getting a better deal than others I'd heard of in our area, so MAYBE it worked (??). Then for the financing, we played our great Credit Union rate off of the dealer's financing, and of course Toyota beat it for an even better loan rate. To sum it up - using the fact you are a teacher gets you a few more perks than you might realize! And if you play them off of each other, it can get even better!

Listen to what these folks on here say about the technical aspects of the car, the mpg you'll get with your type of commute, etc. But I do know this - it is so nice when those mediocre paychecks come thru to be budgeting so much less on gas!

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    des101, you may want to rent one for a day or two to ensure that you are comfortable in the car. The Scangauge II can be plugged into any car so if you buy it now you can plug it into the Prius later. Read through www.carbuyingtips.com. If you want a "new" car then keep looking for a new 2007 or a used 2006. These have an upgraded MFD, backup camera, and a few other changes. (Nothing wrong with older models though.) If you can't find what you want then you may be looking at a new 2008. Federal tax credit expires Sept 30 for the new car. I am sure we can all agree that you will be happy with whatever model, year, option package, and color you finally choose. Good luck.

15. des101

des101 New Member

Thanks for your words of wit and wisdom. :)
    It's certainly good that manipulating the "underpaid teacher card" gets you anything these days.
    And how to play one off the other. I used to do this with airline rates, back when I had
    a choice whether to fly anything but Southwest (which I don't anymore).

So I will definitely check all this stuff out. I'll even read the stuff the credit union (that I have
    the home equity loan with) sends me. I usually trash it, but who knows?

Thanks for someone re: suggestion to rent first to try out. Not sure how much I would find out
    in a day or two though. Did anybody find this really useful? There have been cars I hated thru
    renting "The Rio!!" and many cars I was just plain neutral to. I always am happy to get back to
    my Corolla just because I am kind of used to it. IMO, I have to be kind of used to something.
    Ok, kind of a lie. I drove an Audi one time as a test drive. It was an amazingly good deal.
    I was nuts about the Audi then I talked a car repair guy I trusted. He said he loved Audis too
    and repairedmany more than usual. That settled that. I'm not knocking the idea, just wonder if
    you would really get that much out of it?? Mom has a Taurus and I like driving that though, and
    a friend had a Jeep that I liked. OTOH, I have driven those many more times that one or two days.

Thanks.

--des

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ehash @ Jul 18 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]481276[/snapback]</div>

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(des101 @ Jul 18 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]481419[/snapback]</div>
    I rented one for two weeks, using it for both my commute and weekend trips. If you can rent one, even for a day or two, it's great. You can drive your roads the way you drive. If you're parking in a garage, does it fit? Will it fit your family? Also, not everyone is comfortable with the seats. I have no problem, but others are in pain after 30 minutes. Driving a Prius for a few days would help discover how comfortable (or uncomfortable) it is.

17. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

Yes, definitely rent it! If you rent it for a week, it's about the same price as if you rent it for 3 days. Depends of the rent-a-car company though. Also check the rates of renting the Prius from your Toyota dealership.
    I'm right where you are right now. I've always liked the idea, was never sure, decided to finally rent it and now I LOVE IT! If you can't afford it, don't rent it, because you'll definitely want to buy it, after you try it!
    On the highway, you'll get 50 mpg easy! I just did 700 miles in two days, 65-75 mph, temp in the 100s, driving up steep mountains, A/C, passed a few cars, pretty much driving like I stole it and it did beautiully! I wanted to test it in every way possible and it PASSED!

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I was very comfortable in the seats during my 700 mile, two day trip!

18. bankshot

bankshot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 18 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]480905[/snapback]</div>
    Also, if you start making a "car payment" now into a savings account you should have a nice fat downpayment ready when the 2009 model rolls out. Like qbee42 said - as long as your Corolla is doing fine that will be the cheapest transportation you can get.

My previous car was a 1995 Buick Regal which I was happy with. 127,000 miles and still doing fine. But 6 weeks ago I got into a low speed accident(I was turning off the main highway to a side street, she was exiting a parking lot past the "wrong way" sign and smacked into me) and my car was totaled so I was suddenly in the market for a new car.

And because I hadn't had a car payment for quite a few years, I was able to write a check for my new Prius. It was a wonderful feeling.

Oh and you may want to test drive both a standard sedan and one with the touring package - they do drive a bit differently.

19. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Why rent it? You already know you want it. The only question I see is how much to spend, which is basically a question of what year/mileage to buy, what tax incentives you'd get if you bought new, and whether you'd buy less insurance if it was yours and not the credit union's.

We've got an '01 with 75K on it and all is still terrific with it. If owning outright would save you money (do you have comprehensive insurance now, or just liability?) then the per-mile variable cost of an older Prius may be lower.

OTOH, these cars hold value very well, making the used-Prius market less attractive vs buying new. If you expect 130K from the car, then a new Prius costing twice what a 75K car costs has a lower per-mile fixed cost.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're maxing out your retirement accounts(ie doing your 403/401k and then doing a self directed Roth ira) and you can still afford it, then go for it.