1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would I be a fool to buy a Prius C if I don't drive much?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Dogwood2, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My next car will probably be a compact hatchback. And I'm an efficiency nut. So Prius C is an obvious choice.

The Prius C would cost at least $4000 more than a similar car. That's affordable, but at this time I'm not driving very much. To pay extra for the Prius C is a no-brainer if you're putting on the miles. It's wasting money if not.

If I didn't buy a Prius C, I might be looking at the (not yet released) 2014 Fiesta with a new 1-liter engine. That will be a nifty car at the top of the non-hybrid MPG list. Makes sense.

On the other hand, if there's another gas crunch (not unlikely), it could be nice to have the king of efficiency. (Would be even better to have a plug-in or the like, but that costs more serious money.)

I do not know.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how often do you drive and how many miles per year? these cars don't like to sit around unused.

4. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Last year I drove about 8000 miles. My car might go unused for as much as 4 or 5 days sometimes, but rarely longer. Just to be safe, I tend to add an ounce of Sta-Bil when I fill up, so as to keep the gas a bit fresher. Is the Prius any more prone to unhappiness from inactivity than other cars? I figure the electrical systems don't have any problems; it's just the lubricants that may go stale. And of course concern about the battery discharging.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keep in mind the Prius is low maintenance. They only car I would say is lower maintenance if you drive very few miles is the Nissan Leaf (there is a 2013 leaf that is a cheaper version that would compete with the Prius C though it still might be more expensive).

Assuming you qualify for the tax deductions and depending on your cost of gas and electricity the Leaf S could be cheaper than the Prius C both out the door and cost per mile. But could you stand being range limited?

Personally I'd be happy to drive either car but I'm not you.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 12 volt battery can become unhappy in 3 weeks when new and one week when near end of life. The big battery is good for 3 months when new.

7. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    8k miles per year is not insignificant. Most "toy" cars and most motorcycles rarely see that much use throughout the year. With that many miles, you're cycling through fuel often enough that you're just wasting your money on Sta-Bil, honestly. Just change the fluids by time instead of distance. Oil once a year, brake fluid every 3, etc. It's all spelled out in the owners manual. If you were only driving the car 3k miles a year, with weeks between operation, there'd be more to talk about.

Do you simply want a new car, or is the MPG attraction enough to offset the new car cost. The Yaris is the same platform underneath the Prius C, but without the hybrid powertrain, it's much less expensive to buy new, and their resale values are still strong.

8. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe you didn't notice the price increase on the Yaris? It's not as cheap a car as it used to be.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    8,000 isn't bad. i only have 7,500 and i bought mine last april. i drive 5-6 days a week tho. as jimbo said, the 12v is the main worry, but you shouldn't have any problem with it. take a long test drive, if you love it, go for it!

Lukey51 likes this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove my car 1200 miles last season. If the C is what you want, buy it. I wanted my car and bought it even though it sits more than driven.

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

Lukey51 likes this.
  11. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, it's interesting that not all Prius drivers are piling on the miles; I see that some here are happy enough in moderate use. The Nissan Leaf looks like a neat car, but probably best in a 2-car family where the second car isn't of limited range. I'm currently driving a '95 Saturn, and am torn between the inclination to keep it going forever and to join the 21st century before my old car falls apart. I actually live pretty close to a Toyota dealer (Toyota of Pasadena), which would be convenient -- except that this dealer's Yelp listings are abysmal. Been perusing this forum -- lots of useful stuff here! -- and I see a SoCal dealer who seems to be spoken of in favorable terms (Dianne Whitmore); perhaps I'll give her a call if I get serious.

12. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    8000/year is not that low. I say go with it and don't sweat the details.

13. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    $14,370 is cheap in 2013 money for a functioning new car, especially compared to $19,080 for a Prius C. If you look at the math, that's 32.8% more expensive, hardly a trivial change in price.

Even the OP pointed out the big price delta.

14. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'll probably have just over 6,000 miles on my car when my first year is up in March. No, I'm not saving that much money on my 3.4 mile commute (about $0.40 per trip says the car), but you know what? It's the car I wanted. I was drawn to it, I love it, and I wanted it. So it's the car I bought. I plan to keep it for a number of years, so perhaps my commute will increase, and I'll save more. But regardless of that hypothetical, I bought it because I wanted it.

People always focus on whether a Prius is "worth it" over other cars. If the fuel savings are really the only reason you're considering the car, and those savings are minimal, then maybe it's not. If it's the car you truly want, and you can afford it, it is worth it.

Rob.au, WE0H and ftl like this.
  15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Unless "new" is a non-negotiable condition, I'd suggest a compromise and get a used, factory certified Prius.

16. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a lot more to any car than sticker price. US News rates the Yaris 7.1 and the Prius C 8.2 overall, with the critics ratings at 86. vs 6.8. Comparing a C-1 to a base Yaris is not apples to apples. A Yaris 5 door auto LE is closer, and is then only $2500 cheaper.

17. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    14,370 is for the 3 door version without delivery fee (or any other fees/taxes).

15,395 is for the 5 door lowest trim version.

I don't know about your location but in my neck of the woods they add $795 to those prices for "delivery fee".

Prius c "one" is more expensive off the lot but it'll save money on gas, maintenance, and repairs vs the Yaris at hardly a trivial change in cost.

18. griain

griain New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I totally agree. This is the car I wanted and I have no regrets. I only drive about 8,000 miles a year, but could not personally justify buying a car that got less milage. Although, regardless of the milage, I have to say that I love, the interior layout, comfortable seats, the decent stereo, the quiet ride, road feel, and I have no problem at all with acceleration. Although, so far, I am only achieving a realistic average of about 46 MPG, it's always a thrill to see the computer tell me I'm getting over 60 MPG under optimal conditions. Because those really short trips kill the overall milage I find that I walk a lot more, which is a good thing.

carolD likes this.