1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would I regret getting a C 1?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Dark0rb, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Dark0rb

Dark0rb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey All. First time poster. :)

My local Toyota dealer has finally got some C's in. Unfortunately, they are both C 1s (but in probably the two best colours--orange and light blue). For anyone here who has purchase the base model, have you regretted not getting a higher trim? I'm a tech guy myself and like the idea of having push button start and such, but I'm not sure if I wan to wait months to order one.

Cheers!

2. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Get what you want. Don't short yourself I don't know why people do that. I wanted this but all they had was this. Just wait it will come. I'm glad I got the 3 trim I love it.

iSphinx and ftl like this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't buy the C 1 because it lacks cruise control. I would regret that.

Smart key system rocks but if someone doesn't want to pay for it, ok... get the model 2.

If the OP really wants the features in the c 3, then he should try to arrange for a dealer trade or go to a dealer (might not be local) that has one. Worst case is to go to someone far and have it shipped.

OP: Where are you located?

minkus likes this.
  4. Dark0rb

Dark0rb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am located in Nova Scotia. At this point it seems as though I'd need to travel out of the province in order to get a C3. The Prius line in general is not that popular here (rural country--lots of people with bug trucks who don't need them--lol), so it seems as though the Toyota dealerships only keep a barebones inventory of them.

5. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Deal breaker: I got a C2 for the cruise control and split folding rear seat. Otherwise I would've settled for a C1.
    X

minkus likes this.
  6. iheartnewwave

iheartnewwave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It all depends on what you can live with/without. I had originally planned to get a One due to the price and the fact that my previous car was a bare bones model so I can live without a lot of the fancy stuff but ended up getting a Two because my local dealer was going to charge me as much to bring a One here as I could go drive 70 miles and get a Two for. Plus, the Two they had out of town was in the Summer Rain color I wanted. I'm kind of glad I got the Two now for the split rear seats, 6 speakers, center console, cargo cover, and two tone seat color. Yes, I could deal without any of this stuff, but it is nice to have.

hcpc and ChinchillaGirl like this.
  7. Dark0rb

Dark0rb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the more I do some reading the more I'm convinced that I wouldn't want a C 1. I think a 3 is the most up my alley.

There's a used fully loaded Lexus CT200h about 4 hours from me that is tempting me too. Not as good fuel economy as the C, but it's not terribly far off. Plus the technology package on that model is pretty insane. :) Thanks for the help! I think I am going to keep looking. If I do with the C, I probably should just order it.

8. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c

Are you looking at the 2013 model year? As you are in Canada, the 2012 base model is similar to a C2. The 2013 base model is closer to a C1. For $500 more, I think the 2012 model offers much more. It might be worthwhile to hunt down a 2012 model and it should be cheaper as well.

However, not sure Prius C is all that suitable for rural drive. Might as well get a Prius which get better highway mileage.

9. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you can afford a used fully loaded Lexus CT200h why would you want a bare bones C1?
    Buy a regular Prius instead of the C1. I couldn't live with a C1 after owning a C3.

10. hcpc

hcpc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I initially got quotes and test drove the C1, but when it came time for me to finally purchase the car, it had sold just 1 day prior. I ended up with a C2. I just needed a bare-bones commuter. I hardly used all the bells and whistles with my last car.

11. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sort of regretting buying a C2 instead of a C3 or C4, just because there's a few scratches now around my ignition keyhole (me being stupid and not looking where I poke the key), I wouldn't mind having a start button. I rarely use cruise control (even in my long 4hr+ trips), I sort of do want a in dash with a screen, but from all the problems I hear about entune, I'd probably be better off getting a nice aftermarket in dash, but...

everything I want atm to change about my 2 is more for a cool or lazy factor (1st world problem category) and would do little to no improvement to the car to justify the price, so I guess I'm happy...

12. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The thing I like about a C2:
    1. Driver seat height adjustment. Really necessary for me. My head was touching the roof with my old middle size car and the demo C1 I tried. However, I was able to lower the seat enough to be comfortable with a C2.
    2. Center arm rest. My elbow is almost always on it.
    3. Variable Intermittent Wipers. I honestly don't know how I can driving in the rain without it. I actually would like more settings on the speed.
    4. Tonneau Cover (that little thing that covers the cargo area). I initially thought this was useless, then I realized that it provides privacy for your cargo area. I also keep my maps in it.
    5. 60/40 folding seats. This is important if you want to have a rear passenger, especially for car seats.
    6. Cruise control. Great for long drives.
    The 6 speakers and better cloth are just icing on the cake.

minkus likes this.
  13. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

A C1 is really bare bones, no cruise or electronic gadgetry. A C2 is the minimum you want to buy.
    And if your dealer says they don't have one there are plenty of other dealers. My dealer model chase yielded more than a dozen. The reason your dealer has only C1's he ordered them and cannot dealer trade one with anybody.
    You might get a fantastic price for that reason, something like $18k out the door. They are hard to get rid of.

14. Dark0rb

Dark0rb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The CT200H I referenced is pre-owned with around 40k kilometres on it, so it's already taken quite a hite in its depreciation. Dealer is selling it for $26k, where it would retail new for close to $40k here.

And yeah, I could afford a much more expensive vehicle. But I'm thrifty by nature. ;)

15. The nice thing the C1 has that is lacking in the other packages is a conveniently-placed, between-seats cup holder... :rolleyes: gosh I have to reach forward to put my cup down, and if it's a really tall thermos then it won't fit!
    Oh well.
    I say get the best model that you can afford, if you really like it.

16. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2012 Prius C TWO. I recommend paying the little extra money and upgrade to the TWO. It is well worth the little extra cost!

17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It goes both ways in terms of trim levels. I have the equivalent of a Prius Three. If they had offered a more barebones version of the PiP, I would take it. The Entune navigation is an atrocious pile of garbage. The auto climate controls are extremely tedious to use for me. (I know it's standard on all Prius but I still prefer manual climate controls).

All I can say is if I purchased a C1, I would regret not having smart key and 60/40 seats. If I purchased a C3 I would regret having paid extra for some luxuries that are not that great, like the backup camera for one. This is true about all cars and trim levels, not just the C.

In other words, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Just make sure you get a good deal on the car. C1's and mayr C2's should be loss leaders for some dealers.

18. wmo168

wmo168 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    C3 or C2 at most... you will be happy with C3.

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Cruise control...

20. Sunkiss'd C

Sunkiss'd C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    40k km = just under 25k miles here in U.S., which is still pretty low, probably 1-1.5 years of usage for the avg driver in my area. $14k off for 1.5 years of usage sounds like a descent deal. Still 5-6k more than a C2 new, but you are getting more car for your money. BTW is this a CPO?