1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would it be a smart move for toyota to make all future corollas as hybrids?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Jul 20, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    and eliminate the ice corolla line, and price them 1k-2k more than what the typical corolla costs today?

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 20 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]482389[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. However what answer did you expect from here. :D

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not really. People who want cheap transportation (initial cost) will buy something else (Aveo, Honda, Hyundai, whatever is cheaper than hybrid Corolla for more than regular ones). People who want Prius will buy Prius. Where is the market for a Hybrid Corolla? Tha sales figures show that the Hybrid Camry, Accord, and the SUVs are disappointing because they are not a unique car line with Hybrid power. Why would Toyota mess with a good thing? Life and selling cars is all about choice.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If they made the Matrix as a hybrid, I would have bought it instead of the Prius, mainly because it has more headroom. The Prius is marginal for me. The Corollas are worse for headroom, so I wouldn't consider one unless they improved it.

The problem with raising the cost of the Corolla is that it competes with a lot of low cost cars, like the Hyundai and the Honda Civic. A lot of people shop on the basis of initial price alone.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The car business is about selling cars and making money. The environment is only of secondary importance for Toyota and any other car maker. Otherwise, they would make a 70 mpg Yaris and sell it for a marginal profit.

So, whether a hybrid Corolla make sense or not depends on whether it would sell.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no...they should still keep an ICE Corolla (esp. one that can compete with the Civic Si).

plus, people still need an affordable compact sedan.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No. Here's why.

The price an individual or family pays for car(s) is around 75% of their yearly income (with wide variations of course). In America this puts most Corolla puchases as the first buy car or second/third car in a family. Usually, this is NOT the high end car that the present hybrids are. Note that the average age of the Prius buyer is 40 to 50 (ouch). To make a profit on the hybrid Corolla, the car would have to be considerably more expensive and Toyota has a much smaller market here than you would expect.

If and when Toyota gets the price of the hybrid car even lower, the desire will be to present it as a NEW car line, not just another Corolla. It's becoming clear that a hybrid needs to be different than it's sidekicks. Toyota, Honda, and others are realizing that HYBRID needs to be plastered all over.....except the Prius which speaks for itself.

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    in my opinion toyota could use a hybrid line in their truck department, slot it between the Tacoma and the Tundra.
    They also could use a van.

The reason hybrids dont sell well in vehicles that also have a traditional ICE is that they usually have a significant price premium, yes you say so does getting the V-6's and V-8's which is true but when people pay more for that it is a more power macho thing, whereas Hybrid to most people means "Slow" which translates as "boring". They could change that easily by showcasing them for their performance benefits at racing events instead of always touting mileage.

9. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Jul 20 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]482485[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 20 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]482480[/snapback]</div>
    Wasn't that the idea behind the Accord Hybrid. Or should I say .......demise of the Accord Hybrid?

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 20 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]482610[/snapback]</div>
    I meant more along the lines of just because hybrids are designed to be easy on gas doesn't mean it drives like a crusty little Metro. Sort of how engines with a turbo charger are usually small 4 cylinder cars that get about typical 4 cylinder mileage but give you the performance of a much larger engine. Except the word turbo translates to "fast" for the general public.
    i'll use my previous car as an example 1997 EAGLE TALON
    2.0 L non turbo 140HP EPA 31 MPG
    2.0 L TURBO 210 HP EPA 30 MPG
    funny though alot of people would still rather drive a 3.0 L or 3.5 L and take a 25% hit on mileage because (we have been fed V6 means more power)

my point being that I think alot of people look at the engine size and say that must be slow, just look at 90 % of the cars on the road, they have 3 badges usually to brag about the size of their engine.

13. des101

des101 New Member

No, because the technology for hybrids cost $4000+. If they get to the place where hybrid technology
    is maybe $100 then it would be reasonable. As someone mentioned a Corolla (and I have never
    regretted getting that car) is a very good reliable car with fairly good gas mileage. What would you
    have-- choices be between SUVs and hybrid ( I realize that those aren't mutually exclusive)?

There is still a need for a cheaper car.

Also this is a business with real competitors. I realize most of them are in the dust right now.

--des