1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would lane keep assist have prevented this accident?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 26, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Second person dies after accident on I-65 in Scott County | WHAS11.com | Louisville News, Breaking News | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky

Would lane following have prevented or made more difficult the Prius hitting the van?

Would the accident avoidance system have mitigated the impact?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Would lane following prevented accident?

In my experience, yes. I have LKA & RCC enabled in traffic and have allowed the computers to control the car, taking control around 20mph.

If the camera could see the lane markings the beeping should have focused the driver's attention to veer away from the parked van on the shoulder. If he took no action LKA may or may not have kept the car in the lane. More likely if the road is straight. Less likely if sharply curved.

The RCC does a very good job of maintaing distance to a moving object. The Prius will slow with the lead vehicle. IMO the Prius maintains speed longer & brakes harder than I like. This is why I take control. In this game of "chicken" the car always wins.

When PCS calculates that the car isn't going to safely stop the alarms sound & the brakes are applied. I experienced this once when an unseen car two ahead of me made a quick turn off the highway.

So, IMO, if LKA didn't keep the car in the lane (avoiding the collision) then RCC would have started braking (reducing collision speed) then PCS would have "jammed" on the brakes.

The collision may still have occured but I don't believe the force would have been hard enough to spin the van around.

A famous NASCAR driver died when his car was tapped & the collision didn't look too bad. It all depends on just how things are hit.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Or would the car beeping loudly at the driver confuse them?

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Assuming they can still hear the beeping.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I can see them adjusting their hearing aids.

Tom

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe not mitigate but lessen for sure (only the A-PCS systems on Lexus models will bring the car to a complete stop).

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With all the huxters running around the landscape, why didn't they claim the prius was out of control?!? UA I tell ya! ... what's wrong with those people! Had it not been for the media being on high alert for all things Toyota ... this story would have likely not even made the news. After all, there are 10's of THOUSANDS of fatal collisions every year ~

FARS Encyclopedia

Yet somehow it's now all about the Toyota

8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tens of thousands of Americans DO die in auto accidents every year. And just about every one of them are covered by local news, which loves fires and car crashes. You will notice that Bob picked this story up from a local station's website--exactly where you might expect to find it.
    Although the Prius is prominently mentioned, I don't think this is Toyota-bashing. It was the car whose driver caused the accident. . . .

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in my neighborhood. Two crashes I've stumbled upon, a clear pedestrian fatality just around the corner from my house and a likely pedestrian fatality a couple miles away -- went unreported. The former was less newsworthy than a non-injury accidental firearm discharge in school in another state.

A head-on double fatality a mile down my street was not important enough to report on its own, but only as one reason why a major intersection rebuild with new left turn lanes was being funded. A couple years later.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why did the model of the Toyota (i.e. Prius) have to be mentioned so frequently in the article? If it was a Hyundai Accent would they keep referencing "ACCENT" in the article? Or how's this for a sentence, "the driver of the C30 sustained minimal injuries" Come on already.... enough is enough!!!!!!!

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's expected as the Prius is as common knowledge as the Mustang or Corvette.

12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I lived in your corner of the world--and not just for the reason that things other than death and destruction can make the local news.
    I grew up in Washington, D.C., where you would think there would be more things to report, but I remember when the Washington Post did running tallies of how many people were killed in auto accidents in D.C., Md., Va.

Well, we've got land on the Olympic Peninsula saved up for retirement . . . whenever.