1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would like to modify drivers seat.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by joeman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm six feet tall and my 2002 drivers seat does not go back far enough for me. I'm not a large man, just tall for this car. It's not too uncomfortable, but for longer trips it's nice to stretch out more.

Has anyone had any results in having the tracking for the seat modified?

Just one more click back would be enough. :D

Joe

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Joe, wow, I am six feet, and I just put my seat back all the way and I can't reach the pedals! You must be long of leg! LOL! Just kidding.

On a serious note, modifying the seat track could be dangerous as those points are used to secure the seat in the event of an accident. This could also compromise the function of the WILS (Whiplash Injury Lessening System) feature built into the 2001-2003 Prius' seat. I was told that the WILS feature of the seat lead to the design of it, and explains why it is so uncomfortable. The only thing I can suggest is what I did. Buy 4 steel washers with a 1/2" opening from Home Depot (cost was $1.40 for all 4). Put one underneath each of the front tracks and run the bolts through them on your front seat to secure. Add one more if you need a bit more adjustment. Tighten them as hard as you can, I can't remember the torque specs, but I just tightened it really hard. This will incline the seat a bit, and provide I determined about 1/4" more legroom and also what I find to be a proper incline to the seat bottom found on conventional vehicles. This might give you that "one click" you are looking for! Also for some reason helps to address the lumbar support issues. I can send pics, but I did it to the passenger seat too and my wife loves it. Feels similar to our 2002 Chrysler Neon. Though our Neon's Leather seats are mountains more comfortable! : )

2 people like this.