1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

would really like to know how to feel/hear the regenerative braking cutoff limits

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by supernova87a, Dec 6, 2008.

1. supernova87a

supernova87a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    hi all,

I'm trying to learn how to drive my new Prius the most efficiently, and one thing that I'm working on is how to brake in city driving. I've read the posts on maximum regeneration braking, but I have no way to translate that into what force I should apply to the brake pedal, or how soon before a red light I should start braking -- because there are no practical numbers in those threads, aside from the diagram about energy regenerated vs. braking time, something like a braking time of 22 seconds from 45mph, or "gentle, but firm braking".

I wonder if there is any useful way to tell how much you should brake -- is it by the high pitched electric whine you hear? How can you tell if you've gone too far and the friction brakes have kicked in? Does the car still regenerate when friction braking is used?

Thanks!

2. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've ever heard or felt anything so the only thing I can offer is that you're running just the friction brakes when you're under 7 MPH and if you're at higher speeds and brake fairly hard you'll generate more electricity that can be stored in the battery. You'll need a scan guage to see when you're generating more than 80 or so amps, but you can hit that faily easily when your driving over 50 MPH.

Panic stopping also kicks in the friction brakes.

As a side note, it's a bit funny to think that when you're under firm braking that you're generating enough electricity to power your home at its peak load...

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends how sharp your ears are I guess. There are (or were) two methods that I used when I was learning. Hopefully they can help you.

1. Electric whine. Yeah I noticed it was a bit louder as I braked hard and then gone when it switches to regenerative braking. I don't use it too often because it requires that the radio be off and that traffic around you isn't too noisy.

2. This one is a little more consistent was my primary method of learning. "B" mode uses max regen under 20ish mph (32ishkm/h). So what I do is I brake normally and when I'm under 20mph, I switch to "B" mode. The smaller the difference in braking power between your normal foot braking and switching to "B" mode, the closer you are to the threshold of regenerative braking. If it almost makes no difference when you engage "B" mode under 20mph, that means the pressure that you're applying to the brake pedal is nearly as much as needed to engage maximum regenerative braking.

It takes time and you're not gonna get it right after 5 times. Be aware of how much pressure you're putting and try to learn from there. After that, you won't need the "B" mode technique any more since you'll know whether you've neared or exceeded the threshold.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's really hard to quantify it without added instrumentation. There is a certain amount of brake pressure considered maximally efficient, but without the instruments, about all we can do is use vague terminology like "moderate" or "gentle but firm." The "22 seconds from 45 MPH" guideline comes from someone who actually has studied and quantified regeneration, so that's probably the most objective method, though a little clumsy to apply.

Are you looking to brake most efficiently, or to drive most efficiently? The latter involves staying off the brakes as much as possible. Best is to use available kinetic energy, allowing the car to glide to slow down (search "pulse and glide" for more). Next best is regenerative coasting, with the foot off the both the accelerator and brake pedals. Less efficient is regenerative braking, and least efficient (of course) is friction braking.

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've noticed something with my Pri. I've experimented: when I soley take my foot off the accelerator, the car goes into charge mode (obviously) and I note a deleration rate of about 1mph every 1.5 seconds. But when I depress ever so slightly on the brake pedal - enough to make the brake lights come on), I notice an increase of deleration up to 2-3mph per second. I know I'm not pressing hard enough on the pedal to apply any appreciable braking force, so I presume the added deceleration is due to the regenerative braking kicking in. Further, when I utilize regen braking, the traction battery seems to charge quite a bit faster.

Check it out for yourself. But remember, when you step on the brake pedal, you step ever so slightly... hardly any pressure at all. You'll know your'e there when you see the car rate of deceleration increase - about double.

6. grannyg@twinvalley.net

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    EZW1 has my method. Tap brake to start regeneration early when forced to slow down. Use brakes sparingly at turn of last few feet.

7. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 to that!

I try and drive ahead of myself. When I know that there's something coming that I'm going to have to slow down for, I get off the Go pedal and try and get into a glide or regen coast. If that's not sufficient, light pressure on the break pedal usualy does the trick. Because I'm slowing down gradually, I've never worried about whether the friction breaks were kicking in.

This can be a challenge in heavy traffic. Traffic or no, always I let safety trump any other consideration, and do what I need to do to say safe. The difference between a friction or regen breaking becomes really archane if you hit something or someone.