1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would there be any Damage after a new Prius was left running (engine on) for over 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MysticDalek, Sep 4, 2014.

1. MysticDalek

MysticDalek New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new here so not sure if this is the right place.
    I decided to buy a 2014 Prius (regular base CDN Prius [Approx Equiv: Prius II USA], not C or V) since there is a factory incentive of $1000 off and the 2015 is just a carry over again (really wanted a Gen IV been waiting for it to replace my current car). I was ready to take a test drive (having driven a 2013 before) and put my hand on the hood while waiting for the sales person to return with the fob. I quickly had to remove my hand because it was roasting hot (it was a cool dull over cast day that was getting ready to rain). I tried the door and it opened. I stepped on the gas pedal and I could hear the engine rev up, put it in gear and it drove forward (I never touched the start button, fob was probably in the car somewhere). Around 2 minutes later the sales person showed up with the fob apologizing for the delay because he couldn't find one of the fobs. I asked about the car being left running and he said "engines are designed to run it will be fine" I took it for a drive it ran okay but the inside of the car had a bit of a weird smell to it. The sales person commented that is just "new car smell" and excess plastic protective wrappers being burned off the engine because it is new and the wrappers help prevent scuffing in the factory. I pressed the concern by asking when it was last test driven which the sales person said he can't divulge that information without authorization. The sales manager gave the okay it and it turns out the car had been last test driven a little over 5 weeks earlier. The car had not moved from that spot in all that time so it wasn't just re-positioning cars on the lot, that car has been in that same spot since it arrived last fall and it is the same place the 2013 had sat the year before. The sales manager said there would be no damage to the car having run all that time because "engines are designed to be ran, and some industrial engines never shut down until they need repairs" The car also has almost 300 km on it despite being brand new so I am not so sure if that is still new car smell and "excess anti-scuff wrapping" burning off or if it was the smell of important things being damaged. Dealer offered no extra discount for the potential damage. $28,950 -$1000 Factory incentive + fees and taxes. Comes to ~$32,500 OTR + 0.9% Financing. (I would try my darnedest to get that admin fee off it though)

My current car needs a massive repair due to it getting rammed in a parking lot (a hit and run while I was getting groceries with no witnesses and no cameras, would be out of my own pocket as the insurance wrote it off giving me next to nothing for it since it was 18 years old) so I am buying within the next month or so before winter sets in. Prius is the car I have wanted for years and the 2014 is even the colour I wanted. There is only one Toyota dealer in my area and the next city over that has a Toyota dealer is at least 8-12 hours away.

tl;dr
    Would being left on for over 5 weeks do any real damage to the Prius? Is it still fine to buy, or should I scrape up the extra ~$2000 and get the 2015 Prius when it arrives next month?

2. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something isn't making sense in what the dealer is telling you. Do you have another dealer option in your area?

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Damage? Probably not. It would mean you need an oil change sooner than later. And once the engine was up to temperature it would maintain that temperature and everything runs fine.

However the dealers seems shady and I would just go somewhere else. If they can't shut a car off, why would you trust them in any other aspect of a vehicle? Drive the distance and go somewhere an hour away if you have to, but I wouldn't use them.

4. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    He/she stated that there is only one Toyota dealer in his/her city, and the next closest is 8-12 hours away.
    If you aren't comfortable with this dealer and/or the condition of the prius (why drive something that may bother you in the back of your mind?), then either drive the long distance to the adjacent city, or wait for 2015 models to arrive (which may lower the price on the 2014's; if the one you want is still there). Try looking up the price difference through different zip codes via truecar.com (if you have not already done so). I got my local dealer to price match one of the lower-priced dealerships' truecar quote that was about two hours away. None of the options are perfect, so pick your poison.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could be perfectly fine with that deal...BUT...

My philosophy is that you should start your life out with a new car, as happy and unconcerned as possible.

It would be worth it to me, to NOT have the worries, even if they were unfounded.

You're investing into a new car. I'd let the dealership worry about selling the car with the questionable history sitting on the lot. It's their problem until YOU buy it. You don't have to buy it.

The deal isn't so great that I think it makes taking any risk worth it.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've bought many vehicles on the other side of the country. A $200 plane ticket can sometimes be worth not having to deal with local ineptness. A plane ticket to BC or ON and a nice drive back might be in order.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I don't quite understand, is USUALLY my observation and experience on a dealership lot is that they keep most vehicles with a minimum of fuel in them.

I think this is to discourage long test drives.

But even with the cycling on and off of a Prius engine, I don't see how it could run 5 weeks, A: without anyone noticing and B: without running out of fuel.

chrisj428 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it'd had been running a fair while, but not 5 weeks?

I know when we first test-drove ours, I suspect it'd been sitting on the (covered) lot for donkey's ages, and consequently had a dead 12 volt. I was a bit taken aback when we showed up: it was sitting in Ready, the engine cycled on while I was standing beside it. They "explained" they just wanted to warm it up.

That fell apart after the test drive, when we tried to start it again, forget what for. At that point they conceded it was dead, authorized a 12 volt replacement as a condition of sale.

9. MysticDalek

MysticDalek New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I did try calling a few places in Winnipeg since I will be there next week but they seem to only carry the V or C (or maybe that is all they are left with of the 2014s). Funny enough their price for the C and V there is a lot cheaper than the C and V here. Same features. I might just end up getting a V in Winnipeg even though it is bigger than I need and has less fuel economy just because it's about the same price as that sketchy regular one here. C's roof is too low for my husband despite the book saying it is the same as the regular Prius. He fits fine in the regular Prius and probably even better in the V anyway.

I think I will listen to The Electric Me and not have the nagging worry in the back of my mind. It's been bugging me.

@The Electric Me They said it was last test drove 5 weeks earlier, I suppose it is possible one of the employees used it between then and when I went to test drive it. It was very hot to the touch and I had arrived at the dealership before it opened in the morning on Tuesday (they are closed Sundays and Labour day), so in the very least it ran from the Saturday before hand. The fact it had uncrushed grass in front and behind it and a dead patch under it made me believe the 5 weeks was a true length of time for it. It was parked on the field between the main road and the dealership with those stupid giant neon stickers on the side saying 0.9% Financing as well as the MPG. (always wondered what kind of damage those things do the paint/sun fading filtering when they are on there for months at a time such as the ones that stated the MPG.)

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, five weeks does seem like a stretch, even if the car was FULL of gas. Honestly though, based on what you posted I agree you should hop on a plane and take your business elsewhere. Why buy something that is going to worry you for the rest of the time you own it. There will be other Pri on the horizon for you. Just look elsewhere.

IMO, The Prius V is a fine car, but it does not perform in the MPG area as well as the regular Gen III Prius does. I would not buy the Prius C unless I was a small person and just starting out. (buying first car). But everyone has their likes and dislikes. I would say that is why all the recent start ups of vehicle manufacturers have been so successful.

FWIW, your question is valid and pretty much posted in the right place. The only place that it might fit into this forum would be the main forum for the Gen III.

Last but not least "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You must be kidding.

The engine has over-heated, end of story. Do NOT buy that car. And for everyone's sake, refuse to put a penny in the pocket of your scummy salesperson.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is 5 weeks possible (irrelevant but amusing trivia question) ?
    The car consumes about 200 watts when awake
    5 weeks is 5*7*24 = 840 hours
    So car consumed 168 kWh
    Assuming 33% thermo efficiency, that would require 168/0.33 = 504 kWh of petrol, or about 15 gallons_US.

This link is amusing and informative, regarding a Prius left in 'ready' mode

#12 SageBrush, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would go to another dealer and the dealer you are referring to could keep that car or do whatever he would like with it. I certainly would not buy it or do business with him.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This scenario would mean nobody cleaned, opened or looked at the car for 5 weeks. Unless you live in a town of 100 people, this is highly unlikely. I would think they would check to make sure cars are locked at night before going home. ..... At least once a week if not daily

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would pass on it. every time you hear a funny noise or smell something, you're gonna think you bought a lemon.

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dealer wasted a tank of gas, but other than that I don't see any problems. If the car had actually run out of gas, that would be a problem.

A number of people have used their Prius as an electrical power source for days when the electricity was out. The Prius is designed to run the engine only when necessary, which means that most of the time it was off. I'm really impressed that the car could keep running for the whole 5 weeks. Any idea how much gas was left in the tank?

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is the hood of your car too hot to touch on a cloudy day after it has been driven for say an hour and left to sit for a while ?

Does it smell of something burnt after each drive ?

My car sure does not.

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Come to think of it mine doesn't either. And it gets pretty hot down here. I even check my oil at every fill up. Rain, Shine, Sun or Moon. Never felt a hot hood on our Prius. Now others cars? YES, but not the Prius...

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the engine is hooped, think the dealership won't be selling it to someone else?

20. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    That salesmen is pure BS. he should change career and become a politician!

I have worked in a lexus dealership in my college years as a detailer. We prepped brand new cars for customers and had to peel that protective white plastic sheet off the paint, wash, clay bar and wax all new vehicles. NEVER do they put that plastic inside of engine bays or underneath the car. They will put them over interior seats and interior panels that are more susceptible to scratching (ie drivers side door)

So him telling you that something in the engine bay is burning off is a total lie. I know it's tempting but I would not buy that car.