1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would This Change People's Gasoline Buying Habits?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cycledrum, Dec 4, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a Shell station nearby that has no trigger clips for the gas nozzles. You know, the things that hold the trigger to go hands free while the gas is pumping. I'm sure you know where I'm going ...

How about if all non-commercial stations do away with clips to hold nozzle triggers. Do you think that would make some people more tired of pumping 25 gallons in their full size pickup?

I don't see a point of making life hard for commercial operators, but for those sporting the family of four around in a Chevy Tahoe for the holiday party, should their hands get a workout at the gas station?

Whatchya think?

3 people like this.
  2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In Australia they have been removed for some years for safety reasons. I.e stops spills where people walk away and leave it but the auto cutoff doesn't work.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    because people walk away... and build up static.. and forget to touch the car and get rid of the static before touching the pump..... so.. the solution is to pull away the items that allowed people to recklessly walk away. it's like driving.. you have to be behind the wheel with your hands on the wheel and your feet on the pedals.. anything else is negligence.. well... walking away from pump is negligence... good ol' U. S. of A... punish the 99% because the 1% is too stupid to figure anything out (even if instructions were provided)

ok.. guess it isn't a usa thing.. maybe occupy is getting to my head... hehe

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would need be universally done away with otherwise the stations where it was removed would just lose business. Unfortunately, it won't help in states where self-serve gas is illegal, like Oregon.

Sporting the family around in a Chevy Tahoe? Fat chance... most of the monstrosity class SUVs I see driving around are being driven or with minimal cargo and passengers. It's even more disgusting to see extended length versions like Escalade ESVs, Yukon XLs, and Suburbans driven solo, not to mention Hummer H2s...

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It might work for a while if, as has been said, if were universally
    adopted.

But I am afraid that because most Americans "want it now" and feel
    their convenience is paramount even to safety, in no time at all folks
    would find a work around; some kind of string/rope, metal/wire, plastic
    clip.

It takes little imagination to see where a plastic electrical cable clamp
    could be used. Then, like previously, the driver can leave the car. But
    now there is no auto cut-off which will lead to more spills at the pump
    with the probability of some quite large ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Not extracted from Joy of Sex :nono: )

6. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've always just shoved the gas cap in the handle to hold the lever in place.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If I have to hold the handle, my windows are sure going to get dirty...

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen trigger clips for years. People here generally have to prepay for their gas, too, and that hasn't seemed to have changed the amounts of gas purchased.

The only thing that will effectively and permanently change our oil addiction is to charge the full cost at the pump. No more subsidies!

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The auto cut-off still works.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm afraid you're right. $40 per week on gas isn't breaking most people. But, I'd hate to sock it to businesses. Wonder what would happen if commercial stations had cheap gas like now, but non-commercial stations went way up. I guess a ton of people would be putting together fake IDs to pose as businesses and get access to commercial fueling stations.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't remember how long it's been since we had trigger clips. i did miss them etil i got my first pri, now it's fill up and go! oh, and my gas cap strap doesn't reach the trigger. no lack of suv's and trucks around here tho, they just go to full serve.

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same over here. Haven't had them for years. Not sure if truck diesel pumps have them but I know they're fast fill pumps usually.

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a stupid state, it seems to be competing for the dumbest state award. The current front runner is Arizona for not observing DST!
    C'mon, no DST really? :eek:

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I carry a strip of double sided Velcro....it wraps around the handle and holds it nicely. I am not dumb enough to walk away during the filling process however ! :D

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many years ago, I asked a farmer in Saskatchewan why his Province didn't change their clocks along with the rest of the country. He said it only caused confusion and car accidents, plus the cows had to be milked at the same time, no matter what number the little hand pointed at.

I had to admit, his explanation made perfect sense, and my all-too-logical young mind gained a certain respect for down-to-earth wisdom.

A contest for the dumbest State probably isn't a good idea, but I wouldn't rate Oregon - certainly not just for outlawing self-serve gas stations - anywhere near Florida or Texas. :p

1 person likes this.
  16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe self serve gas is also illegal in New Jersey.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Arizona doesn't use DST so they can show the Feds who's boss
    The Navajo Nation in Arizona does use DST to show Arizona who's boss
    The Hopi Nation which is inside the Navajo Nation doesn't observe DST so they can Show the Navajo Nation who is boss.

3 people like this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in DC region most stations have the trigger clips, I am thinking partially due to the DC sniper incident back in 2002 or so. People were getting picked off while filling up. So not having them makes you more vulnerable (recently I heard DC police chief saying cars get stolen during fill-ups). Would be interesting to know whether best practice is to have the clips, or not have the clips.

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nobody I know with a monstrosity class vehicle actually fills it all the way up. Because the limits are set to $75USD on most gas station pumps, filling up a 20gallon tank at $4/gal trips the limit.

So they just fill up every day, or every other day for a few gallons. It also makes them more disillusioned because they are only putting in a few gallons. However it is a few gallons every day. So I don't think it will really help, just annoy.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't seen those in ages that if I do come across one that has the grooves, I probably don't notice it (since the flap is still there on the pumps, they just removed the grooves). Plus, those people are probably only pumping $10 or $20 into their tank, not a full tank so I doubt it matters.