1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would this work on a prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by farmwrecker, Jan 8, 2004.

1. farmwrecker

farmwrecker New Member

Has anyone ever used anything like a Davis Carchip (http://www.davisnet.com/drive/index.asp) on their Prius? I'm curious about if this would work with a vehicle that essentially has two 'engines'.

2. jimvitz

jimvitz Junior Member

The 04 Prius is not compatable with the present OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) protocol of the Davis CarChip. Instead, it uses the CAN protocol (Controller Area Network). I have contacted Davis Instruments and they hope to have the CAN compatable CarChip available sometime this month. I'm not sure how it will deal with the two engines, but there are enough variables to collect data for that you should be able to get just about any info you'd ever need, especially with the larger memory units that are capable of 300 hours of data storage before downloading to your computer..

Silver BC wait now at 77 days and counting - Jim

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Great post! I, of course, understood none of it but three things came to mind:

1) We're both named "Jim"

B) We both have Silver BC's on order

3) We both have resorted to "counting the days"

3(a)) We both live in Illinois

4. jimvitz

jimvitz Junior Member

I just received this reply from Davis Instruments concerning the comaptability of their new CAN protocol Car Chip (not yet released)

Unfortunately the CarChip is not compatible with hybrids. I do not have a
    date for when CAN protocol compatibility will be available at this time. I
    don't think that a CAN protocol CarChip implies hybrid compatibility in
    itself. The hybrid incompatibility is due to the fact that we monitor RPM to
    determine trips. On a combustion car, RPM goes to zero when the car is turned
    off marking the end of trip. With hybrid cars the gas engine and the
    electronic engine alternate and so the RPMs are not consistent with what we
    require. As such hybrid will not work with our CarChip's present design. I
    will pass your feedback along to our development group. Thank you for using
    Davis Instruments.

Guy Penna
    Tech Support Rep

:( Too bad, it would have been cool to monitor speed, acceleration, braking, etc and be able to decipher any check engine codes. Oh well, maybe their R & D people will work on it.