1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you be happy with this Body Repair?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by arewethereyet, Feb 2, 2015.

1. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Am I being too picky?

I realize i have a v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) p.

Right Fender and Door was replaced after rubbing a light pole. In my opinion, the fender and door don't meet together right. At certain angles when you look at the car, the gaps look wrong. I've circled or arrowed the areas to help you see what I'm talking about.

Too picky? The repair was over $3,000. Insurance covered most of it, but they may get back at me with higher rates later :)

Also, there is a piece of rubber trim they destroyed during the process. I am going to make sure they replace that.

IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2816.JPG IMG_2821.JPG .

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that is not flush and that is not even so until it's both continue to bug them your insurance may have paid for it but the point is the work should be done correctly until you are happythey'll tell you any excuse in the book but until you're 100% happy keep doing it until

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did they use OEM or aftermarket parts? Aftermarket parts generally don't match up perfectly. I had a similar complaint about some repair work that was done to my Prius, but my cousin that works at a body shop said its normal and that most people just don't notice.
    Are you sure that the gap wasn't that way before? I would stop by the dealer and double check.

kithmo likes this.
  4. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a photo of the car prior to the accident and it wasn't there before. I think they said they used OEM parts as aftermarket wasn't available.

5. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion?...I'd take the car back to the facility and simply announce your concern about their craftsmanship. Years ago, my wife was slow-speed, rear-ended at a stop light by one-of-many idiots on a cell-phone. The rear bumper cover was demolished...but the back-end structure was fine. It was a strictly bumper cover replacement. Anyway, the the other party's insurance footed the bill.

When I went to pick up the car, I noted that the bumper cover didn't seat correctly (obvious gaps which weren't to factory spec, NO color sanding/buffing of the cover (?!)---resulting in a fish-eye, bubbly paint appearance--, and a couple of loose fasteners in the wheel well area).

Once I voiced my extreme annoyance (... believe me, I was seriously annoyed, and I seriously voiced it) and pointed out several of the deficiencies, the problems were quickly attended to. I picked up the car the next day without further issues... and a lifetime warranty (for me, as original owner).

The repairs were fine and the car has since been sold. So, it all worked out in the end.

Sometimes, you have to be a squeaky wheel. Take it back and complain--if you don't, they'll just perform the same questionable workmanship on the next guy. Be a Hero.

6. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope... needs to be redone. Here's a link to the thread of my similar repair and I don't have any fit issues like that. Bodyshop "Price is Right" | Page 2 | PriusChat

I did have a loose/dangling mudflap trim piece in front of the rear wheel that didn't get attached properly that was quickly fixed. The bottom trim below the doors has to be removed to get the fender off.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Worst body work I have ever seen! Did you go to a toyota/insurance approved bodyshop?
    If the answer is yes, they should be removed from the approved list!
    Just crap workmanship!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the other side look like?

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where have you been? I've seen much worse! But I do agree, poor workmanship.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The last time we had bodywork involving door replacement they never got it right. The first go was terrible. The next attempt was marginally better. I finally got involved, got it a bit better. But the doors on that car are still a little reluctant to latch properly. Door alignment is tough. But yeah, pros should be doing better.

11. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    contact your insurance co. and tell them you will if they won't fix it right.

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1 on piss poor attention to detail. Can only imagine how much worse it looks in person.

Perhaps take a picture of a flawless Prius vagon on the dealer lot, using a centimeter ruler on the same areas as your repaired car. This will be proof of how bad the job was done. Then go to your fixed car w/ the mgr so he can see how bad the gaps are. You could even use the undamaged side as a reference too.

13. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Poor repair , show the insurance co the crappy work , they paid money as did you , to get it right