1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy a hybrid station wagon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Jun 13, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what I really want. I love my prius don't get me wrong. With the middle seat flipping down capability, it's almost a station wagon. But the hatch back still slants and will close on the bulkier stuff that wouldn't be an issue with a fixed roof station wagon. If they're going to build hybrid sedans, why not make a station wagon option? Don't the sellers of hybrids know yet that hybrid owners want functionality? And don't even suggest a hybrid suv. They get better milleage than the typical suv's, but they won't get better milleage than a typical hybrid sedan.

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe you'll have to wait for a hybrid version of the Matrix...

3. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]270791[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't found anything that I couldn't wrangle into my Prius yet, and I certainly couldn't image them building a less aerodynamic, larger, and taller Prius wagon when it already is a very functional and efficient wagon. Raising the roof line and creating larger areas of drag behind a flat liftgate on the Prius would kill at least 3-5mpg when you consider nearly 40% of the car's energy is used to defeat drag and wind resistance. If it's tall objects you are trying to load, maybe put them in through the back doors on top of the folded rear seats which would provide as much headroom as a conventional wagon(Thats how my Ellie brought home some trees).

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

It would have to *quite* bulky not to fit. And for those rare cases, just bring along some rope to tie down the hatch in a partly closed state.

We went to Lowes today and picked up some garden stuff, and a large fan that fit nicely by folding down 1/3 of the back seat. Then we picked up our two teenagers who shared the remainder of the back seat. Slightly cramped, but no big deal for 15 minute ride home.

Unless you are moving a lot more stuff than usual, a lot more often than usual, the Prius will handle the transporting with aplomb.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 13 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]270917[/snapback]</div>
    I could barely fit a dismantled baby swing and a snap and go. Of course, it would have fit with the seat down, but the baby seat had to be in the back seat. I know that would have easily fit in a station wagon.

6. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with you burritos. I think a hybrid station wagon would be a great addition to the line-up. It would be unlikely to receive the mpg of the Prius, but I could definitely see the benefits of a wagon with more of a straight roof vs a curved roof like the Prius. I would imagine it would get mileage around that of the TCH. If there was a hybrid station wagon and hybrid minivan, it would be a tough choice (unless we had more than 2 kids).

7. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

yes, if it was a Lexus

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would love a station wagon.

Having to german shephrds works in the back seat but that means we're limited to two peple in the car. I would prefer a prius sized station wagon. The trunk is deep enough for our pack to fit, it's just to low.

9. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never wanted a station wagon and still don't. My dad had a Ford LTD wagon in the 70's, and a gentle breeze would blow it all over the road, especially the back end. My mom had the same vintage Ford LTD sedan - no problem with it blowing off the road. But that big ol' car wanted to go STRAIGHT - you practically had to slow to 10 MPH on a curve. Fortunately, we lived in Chicago - straight streets, no hills, just an occasional curving ramp on a freeway or a downtown hi-rise parking garage.

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would like a hybrid senna van er~ wagon as they are classified as stationwagon through the DMV.... B)

11. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 13 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]270917[/snapback]</div>
    :( Your experience is quite different from mine, or am I the only Prius chatter who tries to carry a US standard sized building supplies. There is no way to fit a 4' wide piece of plywood(or paneling, or sheet rock, or whatever, unless you have a saw with you) through the hatch of the Prius, and forget about carrying four people and their golf clubs. Even carrying three requires making the third person in the back ride in the small half of the seat.

The Prius is a great little vehicle, and I fit an amazing amount of stuff in the back of mine, but its no substitute for a small SUV or a full sized mid-sized car.

Vince

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I would buy a hybrid wagon if it were plug-in. Hell, I'd buy ANYTHING if it allowed me to plug in. But a wagon would definitely be my first choice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(v.jones @ Jun 14 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]271503[/snapback]</div>
    True... but you need to think outside the box...

True... but you're still thinking inside the box...

Actually, it IS our substitute for a small SUV/ mid-sized car. The secret to this and the above comments is roof racks and a cargo box. Between those two, you can carry everything you mentioned without even using the cargo area under the hatch.

[​IMG]

13. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I'd love a hybrid wagon exactly the size of my '98 Honda Odyssey. The '95-'98 Odyssey was really a jacked-up station wagon, with four regular swing-out doors and no sliding door. It was enough smaller than the current bloated Odyssey to be powered by a 4-banger. It had comfortable seats and rode like a dream. It'd carry most of what a new Sienna or Odyssey will. It was first with the third row seat that folds flat into the floor. Good vehicle.

14. Clar

Clar Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]270791[/snapback]</div>
    Prius or camry hybrid wagon? either way i'll take one. i still got an 80's corolla wagon.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

What I really want (as we've talked about on a few other threads here), is a small MPV-type vehicle that will carry 7 or 8 people. My wife loves her Pilot but I would love to trade it for a hybrid. She would not drive anything that looks too much like a conventional minivan, and minivans today are much larger than they need to be. Something like the first generation Odyssey, or the Toyota Verso sold in Europe. The closest thing sold here would be the Mazda5. If they took the Prius, elongated it just enough to add a third-row seat, and squared off the roof a bit; they'd have it (ironically, I think I saw a vehicle that looked just like that in the "South Park" episode).
    A hybrid just big enough to carry our kids and their friends (luggage, I can carry in a roof box when needed)- that's what I want. Make it a plug-in; I'll put down a deposit today!

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]270791[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on your baby.

I have four kids the oldest of which is 23 now. We got our first minivan about 15 years ago - the Dodge Caravan - had only ONE sliding door for the back passengers. Today we are motoring around in minivan # 4, a Toyota Sienna AWD XLE - it is the best of the bunch. There is no beating a minivan with electric doors, electric hatch, back-up camera, AWD, DVD NAV, entertainment system with wireless headphones, etc -- for those with families with kids. My wife who is 5'2" won't let go of it.

Would I get that in a hybrid version - without hesitation as long as it had AWD - The AWD is essential for safety here in New York even if we only need it a fraction of the time.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hatchbacks are sort of like small station wagons, very handy unless you have a lot of stuff to transport. My friend just bought a Camry Hybrid and I don't think he will be able to get much more in that than I could in my Prius, maybe less. The Camry Hybrid's trunk is partly used up by it's battery. But that's the kind of thing that happens when you try to convert an existing design to a hybrid instead of designing it from the ground up. It sure has nice seats in front though.

What I would like to see is a hybrid sports car. It wouldn't need a lot of power, the Prius HSD system and 76 HP engine would be just fine. I would like to have it a bit smaller than a Prius, a two seater that has a fair amount of luggage space, really good handling braking, etc.

18. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 15 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]271614[/snapback]</div>
    I'd love a small hybrid roadster. I used to own a '78 Triumph Spitfire which had the same size engine (1500cc) , but less horsepower than the Prius (around 71 HP if I remember correctly). With the extra HP from the electric motors such a car would be kick to drive. I wonder what kind of fuel economy you would get? I imagine such a car would be several hundred pounds lighter than the Prius, but much less aerodynamic especially with a ragtop.

Give up the luggage space, a roadster is a fun car not cargo hauler :) Good handling is a must though.

19. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Burritos,

Toyota recently bought a large share in Suburu and there has been discussion of an '08 Suburu Hybrid. There are no better made Station Wagons than the Suburu.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gimme a hybrid Corolla verso or equivalent!