1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy a new Prius with 120 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ssf1186, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ssf1186

ssf1186 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am searching for 2012 Prius Three Blizzard Pearl/ Dark Gray with Solar Roof Package. There is a dealer has the exact car I want. But the car was traded from another Dealer about 1 week ago. The car was drove to the current dealer. Now the car has about 120 miles on it. Should I buy this one, or I should wait another one. If I buy this one with 120 miles on it, should I get more discount ? I just want more suggestions.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't pay MSRP. Yes, ask for some discount as you can order a brand spanking new Prius and it will arrive ~ one month later with a couple miles on it. I paid $500 over invoice on the car and accessories.

Mike

3. MiMitten

MiMitten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My daughter just bought a 2012 Prius III last month. The vehicle she wanted was at another dealer about 70 miles away. Our dealer traded another Prius from his inventory and drove it to the other dealer, driving back the one my DD wanted. She picked it up with 146 miles and the new car warranty began at 146 miles, not zero.

Common practice. No big deal, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  4. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's not a big deal. It has either been test driven a lot or it was moved from another dealer. Check to see the inspection date on the car. If it's more than 60 days old chances are it was sold once,and the deal fell through. If its older than 60 days I would try to get a better discount, but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine came from another dealer and had some miles on it -- maybe 40.

How far away was the other dealer? They have to drive it to you!

I always walk around/ inspect and then drive the car I'm going to buy prior to signing the paperwork to make sure that example drives correctly.

A car having 120miles on it would not concern me.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    120 miles on a new car is a non-issue, especially when these miles were mostly put on the new vehicle in one trip shuttling it from dealer to dealer.
    It's just not anything to get your BVDs in a bunch over.

This is presuming that you got a good deal on the car. If you're at invoice plus $500 and MINUS doc fees and mandatory options, then I'd take that in a heartbeat....unless the dealer down the street offered me invoice plus $400, that is... :D
    If you're sitting at closer to "MSRP minus $500", which is usually not minus at all ...when you consider all of the above mentioned "extras" then I'd shake off the deal for reasons other than the 120 miles on the clock.

Good Luck!
    Let us know how you make out! ;)

7. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I paid $23988 + TTL for a Blizzard Pearl III a couple of weeks ago in the Bay Area. According to truecar.com, that's about $1200 under invoice.

120 miles is not a big deal, mine had 25 miles on it -- they also had to drive it over from another dealer.

8. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would you really wait a month to have a car with ~100 less miles?

9. Lemooron

Lemooron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I bought a 2011 in December with 128 miles on it. It was a dealer trade from another dealer 120 miles away. I was glad to get it and it has been great. 120 miles is a non issue IMO.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    120mi * $0.30/mi = $36.00. No big deal.

(A Prius might cost you $0.30/mile to run.)

1 person likes this.
  11. Socal Pete

Socal Pete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My car came from another dealer and I had over 100 miles when I got it. I think it's fine.

12. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine had 46 when I took it for the test drive and 71 when I brought it back and bought it. I had to run home to make certain it wouldn't scrape on the sloped driveway.
    I think it's actually good to get one that's had a little use because it keeps the battery in good condition.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not in the market for a new Prius, but my current Prius had 550 miles on it when new, they drove it from LA to MS to sell it to me.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah. I might ask for $200 off because of all the extra test drive miles, but it's not a corvette. I wouldn't worry about it really.

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    120 miles is a non-issue for me, but I would make it an issue for the dealer when negotiating the price.

16. ChaiLove

ChaiLove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought mine with a little over 50 miles on it and I know for a fact that I probably but 15-20 of those on myself from doing two test drives before I bought it. I really don't see this as a big issue. Buy the car!

17. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most cars I've purchased have had less than 10 miles on them. My new 2012 had 124. Carfax shows that it was originally delivered to a dealer in the next town over. My dealer then swapped a BP for my Seaglass. It's about 60 miles from the original dealer to my dealer. Assuming that both dealers took it for a check-out spin, it was also probably test driven a couple of times. I really don't care. It came to me in perfect condition without a scratch on it. I'm perfectly happy.

18. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Really? Now that is being PICKY!

You are going to pass on a car that has 120 miles (From dealer to dealer)? Mine was 350miles away... be thankful you only have 120!

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a non-issue if it is in perfect condition. How long do you think it will take to find another? Do you believe it will be cheaper then? A Prius in hand is worth two on the boat.

Let's say you were shopping before the dealer trade, found the car & bought it. You drove the old car 120 miles to pick it up & drove the new one 120 miles back home. What's the difference?

My 2010 was a dealer trade from MD.