1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy a Prius with 91,000 Miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DrowningGirl, May 19, 2013.

1. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My husband and I are considering buying a 2010 Prius with 91,000 miles on it. The only other car in our budget that we could find was a Honda Civic with 35,000 miles. Not a bad car, but it was the same price and didn't have the gas savings. The Civic was also a basic version. The Prius is pretty loaded, though I am not sure of the exact model. We will get a 4 year/50K bumper to bumper extended warranty.

We just like the Prius better. It is in excellent shape. The miles shouldn't matter with the warranty. At least that's what we are telling ourselves. I know Toyota's are solid cars but I guess I want to hear from some Prius owners.

So, would you get the Prius? Are we making the right decision?

JMD likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Make darn sure this warranty you're referring to is in writing specifically for hybrids. Also, was the car originally sold in New York? If so, it will fall under the extended factory warranty for CARB states which is 10 years/150k from the original date of purchase for the hybrid items. Check the toyota website for specifics.

GOOD LUCK in your purchase!

3. DrowningGirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was originally sold in NY. They told us the battery is covered for 10 years/150k. Does the carb warranty cover more than that? We dint ask if the warranty was specifically for hybrids. That didn't even occur to me. They said it is covered bumper to bumper, everything except standard maintenance. The plan is the "Toyota platinum plan". I will ask about the warrany.

The Toyota financial website lists a bunch of hybrid components under their platinum plan. I included a picture. Based on that, is there anything additional I need to worry about?

Attached Files:

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite frankly...you just joined up today, to specifically ask this question IN Prius Chat?

I don't think you are REALLY looking for an objective answer.

"We just like the Prius better."

Well there you have it.

You are buying an extended warranty and if you are concerned about the reality of a Prius being capable of lasting well beyond 91,000 miles? Well the answer is, Yes they can last and perform well beyond 91,000 miles.

You are getting a lower buy in price because that is relatively high miles for a vehicle it's age. But I have always thought that reality tells you it was reliable and used for the first 3 years of it's life. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd want a Carfax...not perfect but can give you some information. You kind of want to make sure it wasn't a well loved vehicle that has recently been in an accident.

If you have checked these things out....then I basically think in life if given the choice, get what you like better whether that is Store Brand Soda vs. Name Brand.....or Prius vs. Civic.

5. DrowningGirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I just called the dealership and they confirmed that the warranty covers hybrid components. They said it is identical to the original manufacturers warranty, just extended. He said we will get an additional 4 years/50k from the day we walk out the door.

So, considering that... Good idea or bad?

Well, I am looking for an objective opinion precisely because we "just like it better" and obviously are not objective on our own. If someone said its a really bad idea I would certainly consider that opinion because we don't want to regret such a big purchase.

We did look at the car fax. The dealer offered it right up without us even asking. It had one owner, no accidents, and all maintenance done as required and on time. The looks to be in pristine condition. No dents, a couple of paint scuffs they said they would remove, no scratches inside or out. The leather seats are perfect. It has a ton of bells and whistles too. The only issue is the miles.

So yeah, it feels special and we would never be able to afford something this nice with low miles. It's a lot more exciting than the Honda. I am a Honda owner too and have Hondas for decades so its not as if I don't like them. We just loved this car.

That said, I don't have much experience with toyotas or hybrids beyond hearing that they are good reliable cars. This is why I wanted to hear directly from other Prius owners. So far the only person that said its a bad idea is the Honda dealership...of course, they wanted to sell me a car. The Toyota dealership says there is nothing to worry about. Of course, they want to sell me a car. Opinions from friends and family have had no worries as long as I have the warranty. Two of them are Prius owners and said they would buy it. But I know them, so unbiased opinions are helpful when making such a large investment.

Also, I did post this question on a non Prius site as well. The opinions were pretty evenly divided. Just thought who better would know the reliability of a Prius than a Prius owner?

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the price is right! It looks like you have done your home work. I wouldn't let the mileage bother you!
    Enjoy! :)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I like my Prius v, before that I liked my Gen 2 Prius. However no car is right for everyone, so I made a post that tries to warn you about Gen 2 Prius issues. (Your 2010 is a Gen 3 and will not have the bladder gas tank issues, but most of the issues are similar)

considering a Prius | PriusChat

So read this and think 'Is my use of a car short trips on steep gravel roads in snow once every 3 months?' Or one of the other issues, and choose wisely.

8. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the CARB state warranty that has been referred to is just on the battery and other hybrid-specific components. It is not bumper to bumper.

Make sure the extra warranty you are getting is in addition to that, rather than just the CARB warranty misrepresented.

9. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    91000 on a well maintained Prius would not give me pause at all.........if the price is right. Kelly put the value of a level lll ( middle of the road) in excellent shape with those miles at $15,169.

RAL

10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles do you expect to drive a year?

ItsNotAboutTheMoney likes this.
  11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This. Don't be afraid of the miles, the battery tends to age out rather than be used up. Be afraid that you'd not be getting your money's worth, and that includes not driving enough to make it worth a hybrid premium.

But other than that, make sure you're given 2 smart keys and that the tires aren't crappy chinese replacements that will kill your fuel economy. Those are two dealer tricks that are used to earn them a bit more money, but end up costing you a lot more.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius like any car has a lifespan. It will soon start to need part replacements etc. If your driving 15,000 miles a year you will be much better off than driving 35,000 or 50,000 miles a year.

I'm sure people will exclaim they have 200,000 miles plus on there Prius. However those cars have been repaired. The is a Toyota web site that if you input the vin number you can pull the service report. I'd make sure t had the factory recommended service. If no transaxle fluid replacement at 60,000 miles I'd walk away.

I may be the only person who may says if your racking up greater than 25,000 miles a year buy the Honda. Less buy the Prius.

13. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    91k miles is basically new in a 2010 in my opinion. Age is hard on cars also. I would jump on a 2010 Prius at $12000 with 100k miles. I had the chance and let it slip.

14. DrowningGirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The tires are listed as P195/65R15. I don't know anything about tires. Are those good or cheap Chinese replacements?

I cannot find any toyota website to give me that kind if info about the car. They showed us the carfax and it listed all the service and it looked well taken care of. But I don't know specifically about transaxle fluid. They said all the required maintenance has been done. I will ask specifically about that though.

We currently drive about 18000 miles a year. My husband and I share a car though and the same car does all the errands. So that will be split up a bit now. However, we are getting a second car because my husband has stage 4 colon cancer with metastasis to the liver and will be traveling into NYC for treatment at Memorial Sloan Kettering. We wanted the Prius for the gas savings on the longer trip and so he can avoid traffic by taking the HOV lane. We are in a very tight budget so gas savings in any amount will help.

The car isn't quite as cheap as $12000. It's $13772. They said it is package IV. It has leather seats, heated mirrors/seats, Bluetooth, USB iPhone jack, navigation system, etc, etc. The civic was $13500. So same monthly payment but we would spend more in gas.

They are both solid cars. On the one hand we can't afford the extra gas but on the other we can't afford surprise maintenance. The Honda may have less maintenance but the Prius has a year longer of bumper to bumper warranty. My husband is looking at long term chemo...years. So we are trying to make the best decision but its a tough choice.

JMD and BornPriiOrDie like this.
  15. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That's the tire size. I'm sure there are others with more knowledge of tires that can help identify brands.

There are some threads in the Gen 2 forums in which people document 200,000 and 300,000 miles on their cars—very reassuring!

I'm really posting to say your husband is in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes to the both of you in his fight.

DrowningGirl likes this.
  16. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My comments below.

P196/65R15 are the right size, all right, but say nothing about the manufacturer, how much wear, or what all. The usual trick is to stick a penny into the tread; if you can see the top of Lincoln's head, it's time for a new set. There's lots of tires for Priuses out there, but what you want is a LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) type tire; that'll give you a couple-three more MPG, if and when you need new ones. Some people swear by Michilen Energy Savers; there's a fun debate that flares up from time to time as to Which Tires are Best. For you, now, don't sweat it: So long as you've got tread (penny, right?) the car will run.

When you see the magic word "Transaxle" mentally convert it in your mind to "Transmission". It takes good old standard Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). I happen to have a 2010; the maintenance manual says something like 120,000 miles to the first change. However, as you will find out if you hang around here, there are people with severe forms of curiosity (not necessarily a bad thing) who Test Oil. The growing consensus is that the ATF fluid should be changed more often than that, maybe 45,000 miles or so, but it's not a biggie. (Puts on nomex underwear).

By the by: If you do happen to change out the tranny oil, use Toyota brand or something that you're sure can take what the transmission/motors can dish out.

Final "oh, yeah": The inverter on the Prius has a separate cooling system with its own coolant. That gets changed out somewhere, too. People don't seem to be debating about that, though.

Hokay, it's like this. No question that as cars go, the Prius is a reliable car. The engine seems to run rather unstressed in life; the electric motors in the transaxle do what they do; the transaxle, as compared to either a stick-shift or standard automatic transmission is uncomplicated in the extreme; and, weirdly enough, the brakes don't wear as much as those on a standard car since, ta-da!, the regenerative braking that the electric motors does means that the brakes don't have to work as much. It's been noted that brakes on a Prius may last as long as 100,000 miles before the first service on the pads/rotors, which is flat-out amazing.

However, what you're getting is a car with 91,000 miles on it. OK, the battery will last, it's got the warranty, cool. Wheel bearings aren't any different on a Prius than any other car, so Stuff May Happen. Water pumps do wear (on the Prius, they're electric); so do air conditioners, oil pumps (electric, again), steering, etc. In my lifetime I normally take a car to 130,000 miles before selling it; when one gets over 100,000 miles, it's not unusual for stuff to begin to fail.

As risks go: I'd guess this relatively high-mileage Prius may be a bit more unreliable than the Civic, at least on the small-budget items (light bulbs, door switches, hatch struts,, etc.); the big ticket stuff, I'd guess at the Prius being a bit more reliable since, at least to my mind, the various parts run under less stress. But the big ticket items are what the extended warranty is all about. My comment: Buy the thing and cross your fingers.

Yep, that's the loaded version, all right. More creature comforts and the 15" wheels, for sure. (The other Priuses have 13" wheels, which handle slightly worse but get slightly better gas mileage.)

As it happens my son drives my old 2004 Civic (one of the Good Years) with something over 120000 miles on it now. I maintained the thing until I sold it to him in late 2009 and bought my 2010 model year Series III. I've got some 55,000 on the Prius now with nothing but oil changes and an oil flap replacement. No majors, but that's what you'd expect. Same is true for the Civic, except that (natch) it had to have its timing belt and water pump replaced, a recall on the headlight switch (go figure), replacement batteries, and a couple-three brake jobs. And a couple door light switches somewhere along the line. The Prius rides better, the Civic drives snappier. The Prius wins hands-down on gas. My opinion: Go for the Prius. And good luck!

KBeck

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope your husband feels better. My wife is a Breast Cancer survivor 5 years now. She had 2 operations and radiation and Chemo. I can say that she was so weakened by Chemo that I had to drive her back and forth every appointment.

Your husband will enjoy the comfort of being in the Prius and the gas savings will help the family.

He will be OK. Th car will be good also

19. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Level IV 2010 Prius with 91000 in excellent shape Kelly Blue book value ............$17400 :eek: thats more than Id pay but that makes $13772 with a warranty on the hybrid battery to 150000 look pretty good.(y)

RAL

JMD likes this.
  20. DrowningGirl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, all this information makes me feel a little better. I've made a lit of questions to ask tomorrow. This particular dealership has really good ratings on dealer rater and I know a few people who have bought cars there and have had great experiences. So, I *think* they are pretty trustworthy and I doubt they will be pulling fast ones on me. That's not to say I won't ask the questions just to be sure.

I looked up the value of this particular car with the specific features and milage on kbb and it said $18,215 (give or take a few bucks). That is before sales tax and without the extended warranty, I believe. With everything added this car will end up costing exactly $18k. $18k was our absolute maximum budget. We told them we didn't have a penny more. They knocked off quite a bit of money to make it fit in our budget. They were trying to help us out.

We went to two other toyota dealerships and the least expensive Prius otherwise was $15,648 with 74,000 miles on it. We would still need an extended warranty and to pay sales tax on that, plus it didn't have all the extras. This dealership happened to be running a special for $1000 off any car yesterday and we locked it in with a deposit. We wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. They also knocked off about $1200 for the extended warranty.

The only other thing comparable we saw was the civic and even that needed the extended warranty which only bumped it up to 7 years from the year of the car. It was a 2009 so that left 3 years. We are also getting out lot through our credit union and they give interest discounts for newer cars. The lower cut off was at a 2009 which made the cheaper car end up with a similar monthly payment. And Honda literally sold a car we were looking at right as we were sitting in it. Haha. So an even cheaper option went bye bye.

Pretty much every dealer we went to had the same story. Used cars in our range required extended warranties. Or if the car itself was cheaper it was significantly older and had lots of miles. Or it was something like a Hyundai which I considered for a moment but the dealers were awful and trying to bait and switch.

Anyway, the Prius seems like a good deal to me. I will double check everything to be sure though.

JMD likes this.