1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you buy this if you were willing to spend a few dollars on the trans. module?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Carole Kelderman, May 14, 2015.

1. Carole Kelderman

Carole Kelderman New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need some advice. I have never had ,a Prius. I need a "disposable" car. One in this price range that I can "use up." It needs to last about a year (not concerned about the high milage.) If I am willing to put a used battery ($600-$800) and/or a used transmission control module, ($100-$200) will I be ok? Also the owner did not have an OBD machine, so this a local mechanic's assesment ( not a Toyota dealer.) I am fairly savey about general cost effectiveness about what to spend on an older car, but I am not a mechanic and do not know Prius. Priusses.Prii. It's an '01 so I assume that's a Gen 1? Would those of you knowledgable take this gamble? He says it runs and drives fine, it just seems to lose power on occasion and at other times gets up to speed and stays there. Thanks!!!

A good project Prius Hybrid. The engine is solid. It drives fine, but the transmission is having some recent intermittent problems. We bought a newer Prius. So we're selling this car. This is a great deal for someone who can tinker with the transmission and fix the other small items. Our mechanic says it is a Toyota-made computer controller. Needs shocks and a muffler, AC heater fan not working. 45 mpg. 247,724 miles. We've had it since 2002 and it has been a sturdy dependable car.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i would not gamble on this car. what would be the point? why not a civic/corolla/etc.?

see the thread by bob wilson, 'who should buy a gen I prius'.

you really can't 'tinker with a prius transmission'.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  3. Carole Kelderman

Carole Kelderman New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, surprise. Thanks. How do I find Bob's thread? I don't know how to use forums really, I'm an older lady. I cannot find any Corollas or Civics etc. or diesel Benz's so I thought this might work. Thanks

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like trouble, especially if you've never owned a prius before

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would recommend against it.

Losing power on occasion is NOT running and driving fine.

I like to read Craigslist used cars ads, where people will often say, It runs perfect except....then provide a horrific laundry list of problems.
    Or looks great except....

I'm assuming that last paragraph is the ad for the vehicle?
    If so there are a lot of red flags. The owner themselves is defining it as a project. And at least somewhat refreshingly is admitting to some problems.

But unless you are a mechanic, and unless you really are looking for a project, I wouldn't voluntarily buy that vehicle.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    .... if it had one
    ;)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) click on 'forums' top left of page

2) scroll down to 'gen II 2004-2009

3) in the first thread, underneath 'gen II prius main forum' you will see 'generation 1 prius discus...' click on it.

4)the third thread down is bob wilsons.

5) all the best.