1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

would you buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gita, Dec 2, 2006.

1. gita

gita New Member

I'm looking at well-priced 2004 prius that's listed as in good condition at 31K. However, the pricing reflects the fact that the vehicle was in a rear-end collision. Given the battery placement, etc. is this a deterrent?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I tend to suggest "run away screaming." It's hard to say, though, because I'm not there to look at the car. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Seriously, I'm skeptical of any unibody car that's been in a serious collision. In my experience, they are never quite the same.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Dec 2 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]356681[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of assumptions being made here- just because a car was rear ended does not mean it has been ruined forever. Ask for pictures and a copy of the repair estimate to see for yourself the extent of the accident damage. If not available take the car to a Toyota dealer for a pre-purchase inspection and ask then to specifically check the rear structural integrity of the car as well as the batttery pack. If this is not going to be a "show car" :D then who cares if it got hit so long as it was repaired correctly.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Dec 2 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]356687[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I did say it was hard to say without seeing the car. That inspection's a good idea, but I'd still be very skeptical. You might want to check CARFAX or similar on it, too. Good luck!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how long ago was the accident? has it driven fine for months since the accident, or was this a recent thing and the car hasn't been driven since?

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I also believe you should see a written report of what was repaired. Was the frame bent? streightened? are the tires worn in an irregular pattern? You never can tell with a wrecked vehicle, so be very, VERY careful. Ask lots and lots of questions. Regard any hesitation whatsoever in supplying you with answers as a red flag and do not purchase this vehicle...... :blink:

7. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would ask the questions that galaxee mentioned, and have an inspection done. Also, check to see if the title is a salvage/rebuilt title, which might be harder to insure or cost more and be harder to collect on if you would later have an accident. It would probably also void any warranty. What others have said are good points too.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally, I would not buy a car that I knew had been in an accident of any sort. Some people pay a thousand dollars for an extended warranty, due to the perceived risk of something going wrong with a Toyota. I would consider the risk of problems after an accident to be much greater.

But the battery would not be my main concern, as it is well forward of the rear end of the car, and it should be easy to detect damage to it.

Of course, if the only way you can afford a Prius is to accept the deep discount on an accident car, then you have to assess the risks for yourself. Remember, though, that a discounted price means the seller believes the car is worth less, and that suggests known damage. Otherwise, why would the seller not keep the car? The seller is taking a loss, and that suggests the seller has a reason.

Just my thoughts.