1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you do this?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by opita, Oct 25, 2006.

1. opita

opita New Member

Last June I purchased a 2006 Prius and I intend this winter to drive this vehicle through Mexico and Central America.

My concern is that in those countries south of the border Toyota doesn't sell hybrids and, if the electric engine fails, I can't take it to a dealer to have it fixed.

I understand there are no recalls or special maintenance issues for 2006 models. However, I also understand that for 2004-2005 models there were serious issues and Toyota did recall a good number of Prius because of defects.

Is there any 2006 Prius owner who has experienced problems with the electric engine or softaware?

Even if you haven't had any problems with your vehicle, would you take the risk of driving it to places where it can't be properly serviced?

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I'd rent a car.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Not me as I am way to afraid of the police protection in those mid America countries. I would need to fly over to Lima.

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'd rent a car too. You could rent a high mpg Camry or a similar car :)

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mexico used to have significantly lower octane gasoline than here in the US...don't know if that's still true or if it's even a concern.

Perhaps rent a Prius or Honda Hybrid?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Electric motor is probably one of the least likely things to have a problem with. More likely is that you'd get bad fuel somewhere and have problems with the gas engine.

Chances are you'll have no problems at all, but that means there is some finite chance of having a problem. Anything related to the hybrid system and you're SOL in those countries. I'm not worried for your personal safety so much, but you very well could find yourself in a situation where the car would have to be shipped home or flat-bedded to the closest dealer with a hybrid tech.

Now, if you can find some sort of international road-side assistance or insurance that would get your car home or to the appropriate dealer, then that's a possible option if you're determined to take the Prius.

OTOH, I have to agree with the rest of the congregation (can I hear an Amen!), either rent, or better yet buy a high mileage car specifically for the trip, then sell it when you get home...maybe even for a profit. Something reliable but that you won't care about if it busts an axle in a deep pot-hole or going over a Tope! (I'm not sure a Prius will make it over some of those Topes I've hit in Mexico!). Something less likely to be a target for criminals... a brand spanking new Prius is going to scream "Rich American Here...come take all my money and belongings!"

So, I have very little concern about the ability of the Prius to perform, and in all likelyhood it would get you down there and back without missing a beat. But you're likely to encounter road conditions that could be very hard on the Prius. You're likely to make yourself a target. And, on the very slim chance there is a problem with the HSD you would have very little recourse for repair.

7. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I agree with everyone else. It's quite risky to take a new fancy-schmancy car like the Prius south of the border. It would be fun, but just not worth it, IMO.

Vince

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(opita @ Oct 25 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]338108[/snapback]</div>
    When I moved to Texas a few years ago, our insurance agent was extremely adamant about repeatedly warning us we wouldn't be covered if we drove over the border, but I'd assume you have coverage or are willing to risk it. Of my concerns about driving in Mexico and Central America, obtaining dealer service is probably way down on the list.

9. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Don't chance it - rent.

10. nicoss

nicoss New Member

If you get into an accident in Mexico and you do not have Mexican insurance you will end up in jail even if it is NOT your fault. :angry:
    All US insurance carriers explicitly state in their policy that the coverage is for the continental US. Rental companies state in their rental agreement that you can not take the car outside the US.
    Better off flying south of the border and renting locally. Enjoy your trip. :)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another vote for renting a car.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Evan that the electric motors are not going to give you any trouble. The only case I know of where an electric motor in a Prius burned out was when some chucklehead decided that he "needed" to recharge the battery by revving the engine while keeping his foot on the brake. (You never need to charge the battery. The car takes care of that for you.)

However, there are plenty of components in the Prius that cannot be serviced except by a Prius-trained repair shop (i.e., a Toyota dealer that sells Prius, and the Prius is not sold in Latin America.)

The Prius is a low-to-the-ground car and Latin America is a land of seriously bad roads. If you must drive, take a car with high ground clearance that can be repaired locally.

Personally, I think it's very risky to drive there at all. Your risks are maniac drivers who may accidentally crash into you, corrupt cops who will stop you and demand to be bribed, bad roads that will be hard on any car, thieves who smash windows to snatch whatever they can reach, while you are stopped at a traffic light, and kidnappers who will hold you for ransom.

I would recommend public transporation.

I have lived in Mexico (4 1/2 years) and I would never drive a car there.

And to answer your question: I would not take my Prius to a country where it could not be serviced.

If you do insist on driving there, be sure you have local insurance, and good luck. Mexico is a beautiful country and the Mexicans are among the friendliest people in the world. From what I have heard of Central America, the people are just as friendly, but the roads are much worse.