1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you get the AC fixed?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our AC was diagnosed with a freon leak. It's going to cost us $870 to fix it. We use the AC about maybe 5-10 times a year at the most. The hottest it's ever gotten in our house without AC is 82 degrees farenheit. We do have a 3 month old, but he doesn't seem to complain much about the heat. We're just using a fan right now when needed. What do you all think?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in AZ, that's just not a question you can ask ;-)

Bigger question - do you ever plan to sell the car? Or will you travel to areas that do get hotter than 82F?

Also, it's probably humid where you live (if it's Ventura County, CA). Do you run the defroster in the winter time? If so, the A/C compressor cycles to dehumidify the air which helps to clear the windshield much quicker.

It should also be noted that running the A/C compressor dry (i.e. w/o charge and the oil contained in it) could probably damage that too, which last I checked is $7-800 for the parts alone.

Ignoring the problem will likely cost you more in the end if you ever choose to get the A/C working again. I'd find a way to repair it. I'd also get a second quote to make sure you're getting teh best "deal".

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

105 heat index today in Houston. Actual was 95.
    Get if fixed! Think about the car sitting in the sun and how long it would be just to be able to touch the steering wheel.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I understand that you live in Ventura County...but are you saying you never travel south? You are only 45 minutes from my house in Valencia and even less to the San Fernando Valley where temps top out over 100.

I would imagine that living in Southern California, you would take a huge hit in your re-sell value if the car had no AC.

I agree with others, take if a few more places and get a few more opinions (be sure to NOT tell them what you were quoted...as many will likely just try to knock a little off and not really diagnose the problem.)

Once you find out exactly what is wrong - post it here so the techs can give you a better opinion of costs.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you talking about your house?

You can get by without it. Plenty of people do. Ceiling fans are a great investment.

Now....if you sell the house you'll need to fix the air conditioning before you sell. It will sell easier and for more money if you make the investment. That said...why wait and fix it for someone else. If you fix it now you can enjoy it too.

I don't have whole house air conditioning. I have pretty good airflow if I open the kitchen windows (west) and living room windows (east). I do have a window AC unit in my bedroom. I don't have good airflow in there. I have a transom window high on the wall. It's OK to open with the ceiling fan going, but there are times of high heat AND humidity where I just have to get a good night's sleep and can't without the AC. Not that often but enough to be thankful I have it. It is fairly new and an energy saving model.

You'll have to decide whether to fix the AC now and enjoy it, wait until you sell. Or if you want to invest in a window unit instead.

Isn't using freon pretty old? How old is this? Maybe you should get rid of it or replace it with a new, energy efficient model.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 12 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]285483[/snapback]</div>

LOL Godiva! I think you are right! No wonder this was in FHOP! Makes more sense that this was about the house!

In that case, I agree...it is up to you. If you are going to live there a while, and don't care...then don't do it.

If you plan on moving in the near future...a potential buyer may ask for more then the $875 it would take to get it fixed.

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My wife and I have been without A/C in our house since Memorial Day. It's been in the 90's in VA lately. We do have a window unit in our bedroom so we can sleep. We've gotten use to the rest of the house being warm. We do plan on upgrading the unit to a more energy efficient model soon.

Now that you've read my story, let me give my opinion. I'd get it fixed. Even if you don't use it often, you'll feel better knowing that you can use it if you wanted to. Just be sure to get a few estimates before getting it fixed. You also might want to ask what the "cash price" is, as this is sometimes cheaper.

Stay cool...

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My mom lives in Ventura. I don't believe she has air conditioning. But she's on a hilltop with good exposure to the breeze, and she usually has windows open.

Don't bother fixing the A/C if $870 is money you don't have just lying around. But if you don't get a good breeze, then install a whole-house exhaust fan. (Even with A/C a whole-house exhaust fan is a good idea.)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More than likely, if this is your house you're talking about, when you sell your house the buyer will insist on it being fixed before closing or they'll insist on a reduction in the price of the house that will likely exceed the cost of repair.

I say fix it now. If you need it it's there (heat waves do occur and it would suck to be without it. If you don't need it then don't use it, but at least you won't have the headache to deal with later on....plus, it'll probably cost more to fix later.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy I feel like a retard for responding w/ a car in mind. Because I entered the thread from the main page (new posts), didn't even bother to see which forum it was in. I feel worse though for being the sheep that lead the others off the cliff ;-)

When I previously lived in Orange County, my condo never had A/C. We used a portable evaporative (swamp) cooler on the hottest days, and it worked okay provided the humidity wasn't already high, and you didn't let it run out of water. It did get into the 90's though since we were probably 8-10 miles inland. Our bedroom never had a ceiling fan, but some sort of fan ws required in the summer to sleep comfortably. That was then...

Now, I envy your ability to live w/o A/C. My house at just under 2400 sq ft requires two 3-ton A/C units to keep it cool (78 degrees) on the hottest days w/o running at 100% duty cycle. I have ceiling fans in every major room to let 78F feel "comfrotable". If one A/C breaks, the A/C company is out here within a couple of hours to fix. Guess in Phoenix, it's a way of life. Good thing our power is currently cheap.

Anyway, I agree with the other posters - if it comes time to sell (whether it's you or someone on your behalf), most buyers would want it in working condition.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 12 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]285489[/snapback]</div>
    Whew! For a while there I was wondering why this wasn't under warranty. :p

We don't have A/C at our house, but if it were me, I'd have it fixed.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since your house never gets above 82 without A/C, I'll assume you live in a microclimate in Ventura County which cools off nicely on most nights. If this is true, I agree with daniel regarding a Whole House Fan.

I have a Whole House Fan and would not be thinking twice about fixing/replacing it if it broke. ;)
    The thing easily paid for itself in the first year or two. I rarely feel the need to run the A/C . . . and my house is not that very well insulated. Chilling down the house in the morning with the WHF works wonders!
    http://www.smud.org/residential/saving/faq...n_factsheet.pdf

I have installed six of them between family, friends, and my house. Every one uses them religiously. They work that well, and save boatloads of money.

I rigged mine with an Intermatic SCC7C timer and master on/off and high/low switches.
    [attachmentid=4132]
    It is timed to come on at 3am and turn off at 6am (the coldest part of the night). Any other usage, I do manually.

Many utility companies have rebates for installing a WHF. My electric company, SMUD, gives a $100 rebate.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]285472[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, it's the air conditioning in the house. Will we sell our house? Maybe someday. Not in the near future.

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]285472[/snapback]</div>
    Anyway, where I live, the A/C is on almost all year, but some nights. It's the way it goes here in the tropics.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just saw the weather. It's going to be in the 100s (inland) in San Diego and the humidity is going to be high. It's going to last at least a week, lowering to the high 90s by next Friday.

I don't know how it is in Ventura compared to San Diego.

But I'll probably be running the AC at night for the next few days.