1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you give away your HOV sticker to a friend?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Apr 7, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last year we got the HOV sticker but never put them on the car. We really don't have much use for them, but I got them in case we had to go in to the city during rush hour for whatever reason. Well, the occasion has yet to occur. A friend of ours was hell bent on getting a prius specifically so he could get an HOV pass. He's a neurosurgeon and it would really be useful for him to get around to the 3 hospitals he has to cover. He was really bummed when he found out that they were no longer offering these HOV stickers. I told him that if he were still going to get a prius, he could have ours. There shouldn't be any problem with this, no?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would I give mine to a friend?

Well, no. They wouldn't do my friend any good. They are registered to the VIN number of my car and cannot be transferred to another car. So if my friend put them on his car, providing it *was* a qualifying car and for any reason he was pulled over, he'd get a ticket and I'd probably get in trouble too. If he had the accompanying paperwork that is required to be carried in the car that has the stickers, that paper would show that the VIN number of the car with the stickers does not match my friend's car. Plus they'd be able to trace the HOV stickers to me and my car. The question of how my friend got my stickers when I knew he couldn't legally use them would come up.

I don't think I'd like to get my friend in that kind of legal trouble, just in case he's stopped.

I also don't think I'd like to get in that kind of legal trouble for a friend.

So, no, I wouldn't give my friend my stickers.

You could always trade cars with him.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 6 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]419265[/snapback]</div>
    What she said, dangnabbit! :D

Wildkow

p.s. I agree with her on occasion when she is right ;) because I know how much it irks her! :lol:

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 6 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]419265[/snapback]</div>
    As Godiva suggested, if the sticker is worth so much to him, he can purchase a new car and do a straight trade for yours--then both of you could be happy!! It's perfectly legal to transfer the stickers to a new owner as long as they are on the car they were originally registered to.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 6 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]419265[/snapback]</div>
    The only way to do it legally is to sell him your car. Tell your friend you'll accept a brand new Prius as an even trade.

;)

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 7 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]419377[/snapback]</div>
    See how good a friend, he really is. New car trade for yours + stickers, what a deal!