1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you rather have Earthquake first, then Hurricane?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wjtracy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK we North Easterners have taken quite some humor criticism from the West Coasters for our botched handling of the 5.8 earthquake; we evacuated buildings and did all the wrong things, here in the D.C. metro region. :nono:

Now tell me this: should we have had Earthquake first and the Hurricane, or vice versa? :help:

I am thinking we are lucky to Earthquake and then Hurricane. If we had Hurricane first, with all the rain soaking the ground, and then earthquake, I am thinking more damages.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As opposed to the Hurricane causing flooding and the Earthquake creating drainage holes?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been through both.
    You always want the Hurricane first.
    Earthquakes shake buildings loose (roofs), allowing more flooding from the wind and rain.

Of course.....if earthquakes start fires....then the hurricane can help put them out...:D

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been through many quakes in the last 32 years in SoCal, I would rather have the Earthquake, at least I am not getting blown around and drenched! :eek:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hurriquake!:)

2 people like this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just goes to show Americans haven't learned a thing from the past 10 years.

If we had the earthquake during the hurricane all the Nervous Nellies wouldn't have run out of the buildings. Monty, I want to trade the hurricane (which will be a real problem) for another BFD earthquake last the last one.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We do evacuate buildings on the Wet Coast after an earthquake... who is telling those poor people on the Early Coast that we don't? :huh:

All state employees in this state are required to evacuate the building as soon as the shaking stops, and meet in a "clear" area. We cannot re-enter the building until it has been inspected.

1 person likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've observed wasps learning from their building mistakes by reconstructing in a different location, after the first one failed.

Weather extremes are bound to get worse - we're going to have to adapt our housing standards to be able to survive them.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, an Earthquake just suddenly jumps up and smacks you and then leaves you to deal with the mess.

A hurricane can worry you for days as it approaches, last for hours when it hits you, then you still have to deal with the mess, and it's a wet mess.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think they were implying they left their buildings during the quake.

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Makes me wonder where the safest place in the world to live is? Is there are places hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes are rare?

12. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm with bisco above (hurriquake) or they should be simultaneous that way you get it over and done with quick. Oh, by the way, make sure you have lots of rain the week before the hurricane gets there so the ground is good an saturated.

BTW: that's all BS I'm praying and sending good thoughts your way for safety, hang tight. God Bless!

1 person likes this.
  13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen at least one large article online that ranked metropolitan areas by danger from natural disasters.

If you look for the actual safest areas instead of ranking by metropolitan area, the answers might surprise you. I live in an area of Northern California that hasn't had an earthquake as big as the recent east coast earthquake in recorded history and is on geologically stable ground with a very low probability of a significant earthquake in the future. I live near a small hilltop so no flood danger, on rocky ground so no mudslides and vegetation is well enough controlled that there is no real wildfire hazard.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some areas are safer than others; no question. But we can't all move there. I was also lucky enough to be born in a highly desirable location, but I have too many neighbours already. ;)

Most houses are pretty fragile. We could all take a lesson from the story of the three little pigs, and build something better the next time. Rebuilding the same thing in the same place is not a good idea.

15. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But statistically, your area in California has a much higher probability of having an earthquake then most any metropolitan area in the East coast. See how fickle probabilities can be (especially seeing where the epicenter of the East coast quake was)?;)

[​IMG]

I think what would do in the East coast would be rising waters (since most the population is in metropolitan areas along the coast), tornados and hurricanes (like freak tornado that hit downtown Atlanta a few years ago), and extreme humidity.

2 people like this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, it was a fairly quick quake, so it was not possible to evacuate big buildings until after the shaking for a while 5-minutes or so. But then a lot of people were saying you are not supposed to leave buildings. Maybe we have some mis-info floating around.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great map. It shows that recent 5.8'er did occur in a mid-hazard zone. We in D.C. are blue (low chance) zone. But we did get "all shook up" as Elvis would say. There has been a lot of press coverage saying the East coast geology is different than the West Coast; here the quakes propagate more distance wise.

So although we live in a zone with low chance of being the quake epi-center, we are apparently more susceptible to damage from quakes miles away. We did have some minor quakes last couple years too. But this was this first one I ever experienced.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Luv that creative word HURRIQUAKE - we ought to get that out to the Washington Post for tomorrow's headlines.

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A