1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you risk a vacation in Dubai?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jul 18, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know what it's like in the US but here in the UK you can get some real good, almost bargain deals to holiday in Dubai.

It looks a fabulous place - worlds tallest building, amazing structures in the sea and guaranteed sunshine (important for a Brit), but there have been so many horror stories of people being arrested and jailed for the slightest misunderstanding. Alcohol is illegal but freely sold, you can't hold hands in public or give your loved one a peck on the cheek. It's the severity of it all. It gives the impression of being a free and open western type city, yet has a strictly enforced culture from 500 years ago.

Is it best avoided despite the bargain deals on offer at the moment?

How to get arrested in Dubai - Yahoo! Travel UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10637116

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There isn't enough there to case me to risk their oppressive culture, even though the chances of a problem are extremely small if you behave by their rules.

There are loads of places closer to you that are in at least the 20th century and some in the 21st century with sunshine.

I've been to Turkey, Greece and Croatia in the past couple of years, all are reasonably priced, have as much sunshine as you can handle this time of year and treat foreigners well.

Definitely avoid Dubai during Ramadan (in 2010, 11 August-9 September). Because of fasting requirements for the locals during the day, both men and women act like they have PMS after a couple of days. Turkey is much more moderate, and Ramadan wouldn't be a problem for a tourist.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, but why would one go there when they could visit yorkshiredale and harrowsgate?:D

1 person likes this.
  4. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    No deals from here to Dubai - too far away.

You can always get arrested in a foreign country if you disregard their laws - you should respect the local customs wherever you go. For some of the things listed in the links you gave - you will get prosecuted in the US as well. You could even get longer prison sentences. Heck, you can get into lot of questioning and trouble at the airport in the US just for having the wrong skin color ...

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Come on... don't you want to experience other cultures? Isn't that the point of a vacation? Then you can get an even better appreciation of the rights conferred by the U.S. Constitution.

7. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can disregard as many of our customs as you like, nobody will arrest you. :mod:

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course I would. No deals from the states though. Abide by people's laws. Alcohol is dangerous and I dont want to see you people smooching all over.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could understand smooching all over but a European greeting is a peck on each cheek and people have been thrown in jail for that! Ok so I wouldn't do it but my worry is doing something which is innocent and normal to me could land me in jail.

Maybe I'll stick with Yorkshire - Gods own County.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to go there, and I think the risk is negligible. Dubai is very liberal by ME standards. I'd read up on the 'rules' and be careful, but if it's cheap then take advantage of the opportunity for some first hand exposure to the culture and people--might be just a tad different than the view one would get by reading Fred's House of Politics forum!

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's hot and most of the attractions are artificial. Furthermore I don't care for their system of government or many of the cultural values in that area. It's largely the same reasons that I don't vacation in Las Vegas.

I don't consider the risks very high, but since I don't want to vacation there, any risk or cost puts it into the "no" category. If someone wants to give me a free trip I might reconsider. Otherwise Dubai is very low on my priority list.

Tom

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Um, no.

What is the point of a sunny, warm beach if I can't lay out in a skimpy suit? And, I'm sorry, but I'm a tad demonstrative, though I try to behave in public... not holding hands? yeah, that won't happen!

There's a whole lot of beach available all over the world (even ones not covered in oil) where holding hands and smooching one's honey is just fine...

1 person likes this.
  13. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At 111 degrees, your main risk is heatstroke.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you can't have a beer in 111 degree temps, that alone is cruel and unusual punishment, not to mention heatstroke.

2 people like this.
  15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And the temps are less than 111 degrees and you can enjoy a beer in public.

1 person likes this.
  16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and no. Thankfully, I live in one of the most culturally diverse areas of the planet, and I don't have to go far at all for that. On vacation, I try to get as far from humanity as possible. A day's drive followed by a day's hike usually does the trick. There are many places I'd like to visit, and many I wouldn't. Dubai doesn't interest me.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tourist Tips & Advisory

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tourist Tips & Advisory
    There's a lot more to travel than just what you see and do...we can learn a lot about ourselves when we see the world from another POV. I'm disappointed in the closed mindedness of some of the people posting in this thread who's opinions I otherwise really respect.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I quite agree. I'd love to have the time and money to travel the world. Family obligations require that I have other priorities at the moment, and we have to choose our vacations carefully. I understand listening to a dozen different languages at the local coffee shop is not the same as being there, but still, there are places I'd like to go, and other places I'm simply not excited about. Dubai's one of them, along with Las Vegas, as Tom mentioned, and...Texas. :D

But France, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Greece, Mexico, Sweden, Brasil, Cuba, Egypt, Morocco, Spain, England, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Tibet, Nepal, India, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Peru*....bring it on. Plus, there are just a few mountains I haven't climbed in BC that are much cheaper and easier to get to. :)

*Not necessarily in that order.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you get to Nepal, hop over to Bhutan, fewer than 20,000 tourist a year in the entire country. It's beautiful and the people are nice.

I've been in about 30 countries in the past few years, strictly because I wanted to. Moslim, Christian, Bhudist, Huindu and Athiest and enjoyed all of them Dubai doesn't interest me, I seems artificial.