1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you sell your Prius if in my shoes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FishHawk, Nov 2, 2010.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I have 90K miles on my 06 which as posted earlier has 6000 dollars worth of damage from an accident.
    I looked up the trade in value and I would only get 8000 for the car in a trade. The big battery has a life of about 150K miles which would give me 50K more miles on the car before I had to spend about 4000 for a new battery. I would only have to spend about 13K for a new car. Would you guys sell the car for a new one or keep the one I have ? Thanks for the advice in advance . FishHawk

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The big battery has a life of about 150K miles which would give me 50K more miles on the car before I had to spend about 4000 for a new battery

That is just crazy!!!!!!!:eek:

3. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It reads as if you have already made up your mind to get another car. Personally, I wouldn't spend $6K to repair a car that isn't worth much more than that. And you should be able to locate another Prius ('05 or '06) with lower mileage for around $10-11K if you know how to look.

4. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your car is TRASH, sell it and get someting else.
    End of story!!!:cheer2:

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The traction battery is warranted for 150,000 miles. I'd say you have a job ahead of you. How easy do you think it's going to be to sell a damaged car? IMO cut your losses & buy a new one.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I seem to recall that the OP has had a total of $6,000 of repairs on this car. That is sunk money, and not a factor in future decisions, except for any reduction of value for resale.

If this is true, it makes sense to keep this car as long as possible. The longer you keep it, the less the effect of the repairs. Near the end of life, it only matters how well a car runs, not what happened to it a long time ago.

Tom

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few questions:

1) I assume that in lieu of repairing your car, your insurance co would send you a check for $6K. Is this correct?

2) What is the value of the damaged car if you tow it to your local salvage yard "as-is" or otherwise dispose of it?

3) When you sum the numbers in 1 and 2 above, does that total at least $8K? If yes, then clearly you would be better off getting rid of the car now.

4) What new car are you going to get for $13K, and how do its features and benefits compare to your existing Prius?

8. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

The 6K goes directly to the auto body shop. The 13K is what I would have to pay for a new car after it's repaired and with a 8K trade in .
    If the main battery is to be replaced they will total the car.
    Right now I'm leaning towards selling it. FishHawk

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That answers my question about sunk costs. If the $6k isn't already sunk, I would lean toward selling.

Tom

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have to pay $4000 for a new HV battery you're getting ripped-off big time. Re-involt can replace it for less than half that and they will install it as well.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please state your sources about the life of the big battery being 150K miles. Just because that's the warranty mileage length doesn't mean that its life.

Agreed w/earlier posts, $4K is a rip if it were to die. See Prius Battery Change is No Big Deal - Newsroom : Our Point of View Post / Toyota. Many would argue that on a high mileage Prius, one would probably be better off buying a pack from a salvage Prius for much less.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know about your state but here when you trade in at a dealership they will ask you (and sign to the fact) if the car has had major repairs or been in a wreck. It would be up to you to live with any deceit.

I think you would be very hard pressed to get anywhere near "book value" if the dealership knows about the repairs; especially if they didn't do the repairs. Now if you are at the same dealership that did the repairs and are a skilled negotiator, you might do better.

13. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'd probably do ok getting it fixed, but there a lots of low miles 2006-2008 priuses out there for $11-14k so why not move on to a fresh undamaged low miles car that hasn't been messed with? Here's how you could do it:

Contact the claims agent, let them know that you want a check for the damages and you plan to sell your car in its currently damaged state. Insurance adjusters do this all the time, its a standard financial transaction, the repair money goes into your bank account and your car is worth that much less.

Post your car for sale as is with photos on Craigslist. There are a ton of private guys who are very handy and can fix stuff for much less than a shop. They'll gladly buy a damaged prius, probably fight over it. Post a couple of photos and a more detailed description of the damage and I can give you a pretty good estimate of what someone will pay. You'd be surprised.