1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you trust a car w/ a recent head gasket replacement w/ a 6 month warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by UsedToLoveCars, Apr 9, 2022.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at a 2012 CT 200h with about 130k miles at a toyota dealer. The head gasket is apparently blown, and the dealer is currently replacing the head gasket before they put it up for sale.

I know that a blown head gasket can mean other problems like scoring and ring problems. They're throwing in a 6mo/6k powertrain warranty.

Would you trust this engine? And would any potential problems show up before the warranty is up? I worry that some related problem might appear after the warranty has expired and the engine will have to be replaced.

Thanks

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Don’t these get bad mileage for some reason . Read an article about . As long as dealer determined no bottom end damage . But I cannot personally trust the dealer I’d buy broken and put JDM engine and trans assy in it . Or pay my bud to install as I’m really busy . USA dealer are just marketing . The service depts . Welp don’t service . Cute car though . But I will stick W older Prii uniting time to go full EV . Many years

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And, how good is that warranty? If it starts sounding weird, do they start arguing with you? I'd never want to buy a headache.

4. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    good point. I assume it is a decent warranty because this toyota dealer is well-rated. But yeah, maybe not worth the headaches.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. EH6TunerDaniel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ask them to sell it as is and swap a gen 4 in.

6. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it a good price? If the dealer is doing it and they show they used oem parts to fix it, it could be okay. Although I don't know if a 2010-2015 Prius/CT is a good deal at this age anymore. Especially for the average Joe that doesn't know their secrets. Battery will probably go out soon and the car will have EGR problems for the rest of its life, which is a problem if you live in an emissions testing area.

UsedToLoveCars likes this.