1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wow, didn't know (gasoline powered) BMW 3-series cars have no dipstick starting ~2006

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was reading thru my July 07 issue of Car and Driver and noticed this letter in the Backfires section. I can't seem to find it online (yet?).

Emphasis added is mine.
    Sure enough, after digging around on the net, it seems that they really don't have dipsticks anymore. I also found gems like these http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_3_series_sedan_...=1&show=otl where people were complaining about oil sensor problems and that being bad on a car w/o a dipstick.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    WOW!!! So if there's no dipstick, how are you supposed to know HOW MUCH oil to add???

I'd never buy a BMW anyway. I think they are the company that has refused, to this very day, to pay back wages to the people who were forced to work as slaves in their factories in WW II.

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds like the dipstick on the new BMW's has been relocated to the driver's seat!

Seriously, if BMW thinks I am too stupid to check my own oil, then they don't need my business.

4. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BMW lost another potential customer. No dip stick??? What a joke. <_< <_<

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Swanny you totally beat me to it! That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm a total oil-changing hold-out. There are a few things that I can do myself and I'm extremely reluctant to give those up.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, consider that you don't have a dip stick on a fuel tank,
    either, but at least you can fill that until it's full and know
    how much is in there. And you get a reasonably reliable [?!] level
    sensor. I bet there's no external, physical way to tell "full" on
    the BMW oil sump, though, and that alone says that they REALLY screwed
    the pooch by foisting badly designed sensor systems onto paying
    customers before thoroughly debugging them. How ... Microsoftian.
    _H*

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well this is retarded. That's just a slap in the face to the customer! "Oh we don't want you "messing" around under the hood".. or is that more like "we want YOU to come to us for anything minor so that we can charge you since we don't get paid as well because scheduled maintenance is included in the price of the vehicle for the length of the warranty" reason? That or more and more stupid people are buying BMWs and is screwing the rest of us over.

oye. Time to get a used BMW lol.

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 4 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]454934[/snapback]</div>
    It must be a german thing because my wife's VW Beetle doesn't have a dipstick for the automatic transmission. I told her if she ever wants another VW they will either have to change that or she will have to get a stick shift.

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 4 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]455247[/snapback]</div>
    My 2001 Mercedes ML 320 doesn't have one for the automatic transmission either. I was told it was sealed from the factory and that the transmission fluid was good for the life of the vehicle. Needless to say, I didn't buy that line and have had the transmission fluid changed once already.

10. B Rad

B Rad New Member

I have one old car (70 MG) And I guess I will keep it forever just so I will have something to play with. I am sure the day is not far away when they will even eliminate the hood. That way they can charge everyone everytime anything is needed. "What about washer fluid,brake fluid.anti-freeze,ect," you say. "Oh, those all have sensors now", they say.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why use a cheap and simple length of metal, when you can begin to approximate its accuracy with expensive and complex electronic circuitry...?

They don't call them idiot lights for nothing.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 4 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]455278[/snapback]</div>
    no Prius has a dipstick for the "tranny" (PSD) either. Check it at the fill plug and then keep an eye open for leaks that's the procedure for checking it.

13. meanboy

meanboy New Member

BMW auto trannys are sealed and the fluid is suppose to last a lifetime. :lol:

Recommended oil changes are at 15k miles or whenever the light comes on. If you are in the free maintenance period the dealer will not change it for you until the light comes on.

Welcome to the land of BMW.

14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2008 BMW - No gas gauge!

P.S. - Don't blame the engineers, this "improvement" had to sanctioned by the highest levels of BMW (mis)management.

15. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

BMW makes most of their profits off of service. I had 2 bimmers before the prius and both times I gave them back when the service ran out because after that it's just good old fashion gouging. Need the brakes done? (You will, BMW brakes wear out so fast) It'll cost $1000+. The service departments are their bread and butter. Maybe in 2010 they will just weld the whole hood down - LOL!

16. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yea the prius hybrid transaxle assy doesnt have a dipstick, but at least you can measure it with the bolt on the side. My tacoma (2006) has no dipstick either, it uses ATF WS, but still i can measure it too

17. HiLaker

HiLaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jun 30 2007, 04:44 PM) [snapback]470592[/snapback]</div>
    It is really funny to read all this stone age nonsence :D :D :D

1) We are talking about NEW models. Someone's experience with second hand 15 years old beemers is null and void.
    2) BMW service is free for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles BMW Ultimate Service
    3) Service intervals are high (10,000 miles or more), by intelligent design.

And, finally: You don't need to add oil between services, in fact you shouldn't do it.

Regarding gas gauge

Must see

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 30 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]470766[/snapback]</div>
    The "free" service is included in the price of the car. You're still paying for it.

After the warranty is up, you pay dearly for service.

As for not needing to add oil between services, sure, on all cars you normally shouldn't need to add much if any, but what would you do if your oil sensor light comes on (even worse if you have iDrive like this guy http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_3_series_sedan_...mp;reviewnum=2)? Would you ignore it even though running out of oil == dead engine or add more oil in the interim to see if the problem goes away? What if your engine has an oil consumption problem or the dealer put an insufficient amount of oil in (and enough was consumed to trigger it)? In any case, it means a trip to the dealer.

It seems like real genius to remove a cheap piece of metal which is a pretty reliable way of checking oil level and replace it with an apparently unreliable sensor.

As for 3), one has to wonder the calibration and criteria BMW uses for their oil life sensors. After all, large % of them are leased (and returned after the lease is up) and the it's in BMW's own interest to keep their costs of "free maintenance" down. The car only needs to last as long as the lease period.

19. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 30 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]470766[/snapback]</div>
    If you were such a BMW expert, you'd know it's BIMMER not BEEMER. Unless of course you are now referring to motorcycles?

1. Nobody was saying anything about old models.
    2. Nobody was saying anything about the services not being covered by the maintenance pkg.
    3. Nobody said anything about the oil having to be changed often or at low intervals.

The point was that it seems self defeating to take the dipstick away. Especially when the new gadget has flaws. Even I can see this and I don't change my own oil.

Thanks.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sassy Pamela @ Jun 30 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]470792[/snapback]</div>
    HiLaker is from Geneva. He spells the Swiss way when he writes.