1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wow - suddenly got back 0.9mi EV after being out for a couple miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by calbear, Apr 12, 2012.

1. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Got off the freeway with 0EV, car switched to standard HV. Drove stop and go for another couple miles with gas and some EV coasting (in the green on eco mode).

Then, all of a sudden, the EV meter popped up to 0.9mi remaining and let me switch back into EV mode for real . Used up about half of it before parking.

Very, very interesting... must have something to do with its estimation routine. Recently, my max EV has been about 1 mi less because someone else drove the car a few times in the past week and must have messed up my calculations not following my max fuel economy driving style.

And maybe that data just got expunged while I was driving or something, but that's a big chunk to suddenly get back while driving (and already out of EV).

Anyone experience this or have an idea why it happened?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link. I've read it, but still slightly confused... I'd used up the EV completely, not 0.1mi remaining. I've definitely seen it hover at 0.1mi range for a lot longer than 0.1 miles driven - figured it was just an estimate, so it gets down to 0.1 range and stays there until you're certainly out.

But in this case, I was out of EV and had been driving on HV for about 1 mile when it popped back up to 0.9mi EV range. And I've seen where it's come back out of HV into EV with 0.1 or 0.2 regenerated, but this was a 0.9 direct step.

huh.... [​IMG]

4. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine has done that too. I think it happens when your ICE comes on to warm the engine to the 130 for the emissions, but during that time your engine isn't being taxed due to coasting or really low demand on either the ICE or the EV motor, so it has to spin off the excess energy into your batteries. Since the ICE has to keep running for the emissions, it won't allow you to go back into pure EV mode until this is completed. Once the warmup cycle is completed, it sees you have enough stored battery to allow a stint in pure EV, thus the sudden jump in available miles.

5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius Personal Log 560
    3-27-2012 PHV Video.
    "I forgot that turning on the outside vent would result in a lower EV capacity value being displayed on the Eco-Meter. Ugh! It automatically assumes a loss from climate-control usage, revising the estimate shown to a lower value. So when I got to the halfway point, I turned it off (note the 0.7-mile increase)."

or you were stopped long enough for a no or little load battery voltage sample to be taken and the EV range to be updated with this actual value? Perhaps for the reasons stated in your post this just happened to be a significant correction this time.

6. krishkal

krishkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am confused by this. Whether I have it on outside vent, or recirculating, the EV capacity is the same. Am I missing something?

7. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its Fan On vs Fan Off, not Recirculate vs Fresh air

If you have it on, you will lose (estimated) range.

8. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Once the fan is on the computer seems to think your going to use AC and reads about a mile less on the display. If you do turn the AC on you'll notice it doesn't drop more.

9. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

10. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    And now I'm trying to replicate it, and can't... :-( Tried playing with the HV button while 0.1mi EV remaining is showing, but can't get the 0.9 to pop back up again...

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This just means that you were able to regen enough energy that the battery charged up high enough for the car to determine that there's sufficient capacity to enable EV operation.

You might be interested in my thread about this topic: http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...tery-while-driving-my-plug-in-experience.html I started with an effectively fully-discharged battery and ended up getting nearly 10 mi of all-EV range in the course of a 3-day trip.

12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    also, to your point specifically about 0.9: when you're in HV mode, it will not switch to the EV-mode battery display until it has at least 0.9 mi of estimated range remaining. It will not actually engage EV mode until you get ~2 mi of estimated range remaining.