1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WOW!...tires make a "world of difference"....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AOV, Jul 14, 2007.

1. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There was something just not right, a brand new Prius...and something was missing. After reading a lot of postings, I realized that maybe its the tires. Felt as though I was not making a "connection" with the road, especially on turns, so I decided to upgrade. After reading a lot of postings about tire upgrades, I decided to go with the Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads 195/60R15. Priced a few places....Sears was extremely expensive and needed 5 days to stock the tire, Goodyear dealer came in about $50 less. It was Mavis that had the better deal and needed just a day to stock it. They came in $40 less than the Goodyear dealer. I found that interesting.
    Half an hour later, and a few hundred dollars poorer, ....I was on the road and all I can say is "WOW". If I never have sat and driven a Prius for a few months in those skimpy 185's, Integrity's, I would have not noticed the difference, but that was not the case...the difference was unbelievable, and that is an understatement. I even asked them to inflate the tires 40/38 (after reading the suggestions in the postings). It felt as though every inch of those treads were gripping the road. I almost can't wait for a torrential downpour so I can try out the Prius in it. I have driven in one with the "old" tires, and it was scary...could be my driving, but that's another story.
    So now I am thinking....what's next?
    A sunroof! :)

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Whoa there !! Sunroof? I've only seen one poster on here who has done that, but it does seem it turned out well. Why dont you try some other mods that will give your Prius added protection like mud flaps, all weather mats, rear bumper guard, BT Plate, and stuff like that which in the meantime will help keep your baby looking brand new.

I've got to replace the Integrities soon, and I've been looking around as well, so thanks for the tire review. Have you taken a mileage hit? It seems like most people do, at least through the break in period.

Sunroof... hmmmm, sure does sound temping though............

good luck :D :D

3. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The TT's are decidedly different than any tires I've driven in heavy rain. They make an unusual sound as they throw the water from under the tires. It seems much safer driving them on wet roads - probably better traction than driving the integrity on dry roads. The mileage seems to improve on the tires after about 5,000 miles.

Enjoy them.

4. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jul 14 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]478780[/snapback]</div>
    I have given thought to mud flaps, wouldn't they interfere with the mpg's? I am doing great in the mpg's...recently came back from a 370 mile trip, which was 90% highway and did 78mpg average. Now, I am doing 56mpg and just because of some short trips, but...coming back from the tire place...the mpg's did not decrease, stayed mostly the same, if not 1 -2 gain.
    As far as the sunroof....it something I always had in my other cars, and its something I wanted when I was buying a new one, but....I did not get one, I was told that it was not an option. So now...reading that particular posting....I am going to go for it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ Jul 14 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]478782[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, one deciding factor was....those torrential downpours during the summer months in Florida, going this time with the Prius in a few weeks, hoping to stay firm on the road, as one should.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 14 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]478789[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. We have them as standard in Canada. I did a 59mpg tank a few weeks ago

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 14 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]478877[/snapback]</div>
    Could you send me to the right site for this? and also...which ones would be recommended?

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 14 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]478789[/snapback]</div>
    Either your gallons are different than my gallons, or you belong in the record books. 78mpg average? Are you sure?

9. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jul 14 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]478780[/snapback]</div>
    :D Yes, it turned out great, and no mpg hit that I can tell. I'm at 51.9 mpg / 479 miles on my current tank, but I better fill soon, at one pip!.
    [​IMG]

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, what Darell asked! What kind of "highway", with what PSL?
    _H*

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is a great tire rain, snow or shine, larger size or same size. On my prior car (Volvo 850 Sportswagon), I replaced the more expensive OEM Goodyear Eagles with the same size TTs and I thought the TTs provided both better comfort and handling than the more expensive sporty Eagles. They are the best tires I ever had. I've been meaning to install them on my Prius because right now the Prius is the worst handling car I ever had.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Most excellent choice. The FWD Prius puts all the acceleration wear on the front tires and the regenerative braking puts all the deacceleration wear on the front tires. The front tires are really worked in a Prius. The first gen. Prius is even harder on tires since the tires are smaller. Getting a really good tire with really high wear ratings (like the TripleTred's 740) lasts much, much longer than the low end Integrity. Took me too many tire changes on the 01 Prius to learn this lesson. Gave up on Low rolling resistance tires and went to Last-Long-Time-Tires. Glad you figured it out much faster than I did.

13. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 15 2007, 06:01 PM) [snapback]479262[/snapback]</div>
    Oops...a typo....I meant 68mpg (67.78 to be exact). Even I got excited reading my posting :)
    Seriously, that's good mileage. Bear in mind, this was done the morning of July 4th (light traffic), I drove under 70mph, no A/C. Since the traffic was light, there was noone on my tail worth moving for, so I took my time, worked the terrain to my advantage. Coming back, same light traffic. Would have not believed it myself, yet a fill up at the gas station tells the story.
    Sorry for the typo again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 15 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]479232[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: Is that $53 for one?

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 16 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]479587[/snapback]</div>
    Whew. Well, that's a bit more realistic at least. But this was calculated on ONE tank via the "fillup" method? Each time you fill up, you can fit different amounts of gas in the tank bladder. If you didn't fit as much in this time, youre mileage will look great. If you manage to fit a bit more in next time, your tank will seem terrible. Any chance you used the MFD mileage calculator? Did it tell you 68mpg for that trip? I mean that is still amazing. When I drive a steady 55mph with GREAT care, I can get in the mid to upper 50's. Nowhere near as high as 68. That takes some special techniques.

15. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 18 2007, 02:46 AM) [snapback]480760[/snapback]</div>
    A skeptic ? Oh, that's okay, it seems there are a lot of those, especially among the Prius owners.
    I have gotten some great mpg's, just thought that the 68 was worth mentioning. For example, I got 63mpg from the 229 miles I did beforehand, then I won't mention the 47mpg, then before that 55.10, and the one before that 56, 60mph before that, 58 before that.... and it goes on....42 being the worse, and that was two weeks after I just acquired the car, had no idea what I was driving. Presently I have about 5500 miles on the car. Also read that the best mileage starts somewhere after 5000.

Yes, I truly agree....it is "some special technique", and that is what it takes to get the best out of the car. I think personally, I can go even better then I did...I have not even change to synthetic oil yet - I heard that increases the mpg's. Also keeping my tires inflated at 40/38.
    Now...how much off do you think I could have been in the fillup? (not saying I was) Even being off 1/2 a gallon, my mpg's would have been 63.
    Did not use the computers calculations for I reset it 3 times during the trip, to see if my feelings were true. In my previous trips I felt that the trip to my destination was more uphill, and the trip back was more downhill, and I proved that to be correct.
    My most amazing trips are from the gas station to home...it is about 2 miles and I only step on the accelerator initially....I get 99.9 mpg all the way.
    I will be leaving shortly on a long 2400 round trip....who knows what will be achieved then. :)

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ Jul 14 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]478782[/snapback]</div>
    My TripleTreds have started making loud noise on almost all road surfaces after 40,000 miles. Darn annoying but they don't look bad or anything. I'll eventually go in and ask the Goodyear dealer if they are in need of something.

Rotated every oil change, aligned (almost) every other one...

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 18 2007, 04:02 AM) [snapback]480798[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm skeptical of everything. Keeps me healthy. I mean no dissrespect.

If you are making all your calculations on a tank-by-tank basis, you can be off by more than 1/2 gallon - which significantly changes the answer. Your really bad tank may not have been nearly as bad as you think - while your really good ones probably weren't quite that good. The MFD calculation will be closer to reality than taking the measurement from the pump (unless you do what many of us do and record ALL gas in and ALL miles driven over a long period - nothing will be more accurate than that calc). You simply have no idea how much you can shove into the tank. Every pump is different, and the bladder changes size depending on ambient temp, fuel temp and who knows what else.

Would be great to not reset the MFD display for the whole trip, and see what your REAL MPG average comes out looking like!

18. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You said....
    "Every pump is different, and the bladder changes size depending on ambient temp, fuel temp and who knows what else."

And you know this for a fact? and I am especially interested in the "who knows what else" part. :) Its just so happens....I have been going to the same gas station, in fact....using the same nozzle for the last 4 fill-ups. Hey....its the cheapest around, can't blame me. The fill-ups lately have been early in the morning, and it is still the summer temps, and it happens to be my first errand of the day....so....unless the same nozzle pumps differently each time.... <_< ...it is I who is the skeptic now.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 18 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]481317[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. I try not to make things up and post them as fact. I'm not always successful, of course.

And I'd answer if I knew. I just know that it changes. Probably changes with age as well. Also changes with how full the bladder is normally kept. If you pump from a tank that has been recently filled from a tanker truck, the fuel temp will be different than what has been sitting in the ground for a month - even if you use the same pump at the same time after eating the same meal.

Welcome to the club. Start eating right and exercising regularly, and you'll live forever.

I'm wondering what the fear is of using the MFD calc for a few tanks??

20. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What else can effect mpg? A nice tail wind gave me great numbers on a 90 mile trip only to have them erased by the headwind on the return trip. Drafting behind a truck and trailer is sweet on mgp too. Adding passengers takes a toll. I haven't tracked the phases of the moon, but I wouldn't be surprised.... :lol: B)

Please keep acurate records for yourself and brace for the ravages of winter.

Lee