1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wow, u can drive w/o the keys

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Drift Motion, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    iono if this has been covered b4, but i just found out, our prius, once we got the car started, took the key out of the car, and we can still drive the car(about 1hr drive), and the car function normal except the no key warnin light

btw we have the smart key system

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep. Just don't turn it off otherwise you can't turn it back on without the key inside the vehicle.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Right. This also came up during a discussion about if you were carjacked. The carjacker would be able to drive away, but once they shut down that was it.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess your salesman didn't bother to show you this during delivery. Mine made it a point to explain this and demo the yellow light and beeps. He also explained how someone could drive off w/the car and then be stuck somewhere unable to start it if you forget to give them the key.

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

That's still scary, I'm sure they'd know not to shut it down until they were in the middle of Mexico or whatever.

So, as they're driving away, you get the fob out, lock and alarm their doors and try to get the panic alarm going? Or as they were pulling you out, you hit the ready button? Or you just phone your insurance co. later, because your kid isn't in the back seat?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you normally drive with the keys in your pocket like I do, and if you are ever carjacked, keep the keys in your pocket and get out. Of course, if you can and you have the presence of mind, turn the car off and then get out. Or better yet, get out and as you're running away, hit the panic button.

7. kam

kam New Member

That's something I've always wondered about. Does the Panic button still work if the car's unlocked and running?

8. taaustin

taaustin New Member

There was a discussion a few months ago about folks who have left the Prius running in the parking lot without intending to do so. That's a scary enough scenario in it's own right.

A potential thief just slides in and drives away. Talk about your good motivator for making DARNED sure you've turned the car off. It matters not to me if the car leaves them stranded somewhere afterwards. If it's out of my posession, it's stolen.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The panic button won't work with the car on. I tried on the Camry.

Ya know, maybe that's where all the "Prius driving away on its own" stories come from.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Darn, I was really hoping. Being at work I didnt' want to go outside and try it. Also because it's 27ºF and snowing.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, I love that. When I go out to the car, if it unlocks, I know that the key is on me somewhere but I seldom bother to figure out which pocket it's actually in.

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On every Gen2 I deliver I give the new ( first ) owner the following dictum.

"Park ==>Power==>Out" "Park..Power..Out" Make sure you shut down the Prius.

Then I show them how I can 'steal' their vehicle if they leave it running and take the fob inside. It makes the point.

I also go over the 3 warning beeps when the door is closed and the fob is outside the frame of the vehicle and the one long 3 sec beep when the door doesnt lock from the outside. It's part of the one hour final delivery for new owners.

In addition: SKS disable and the jump start process. These are so different from any other vehicle the must be shown and identified.

13. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No need to press PARK before POWER. Just hit power and you're good to go. Park is only needed if you want to leave the car on, but not move.

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know.. It's a good habit though..

15. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i was thinking about that too
    if u somehow out of the blue, just left ur car on, and left, some1 can just drive it away...

i guess basically the key is like a starter thing, u can drive w/o it, just need it to start