1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WOW! What an improvement!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Banjoman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is the end-all, be-all of audio improvements for a Prius or any other car. You put it inline before your amp and then place the supplied microphone where your head is normally located in the car. Press the calibrate button and it fires a couple short bursts of sound out of each speaker. This process can be repeated with the mic in different locations (seats) in the car. The system then computes the best EQ and time delays for your environment and automatically makes up to 500 individual tweaks to achieve the optimum sound.

When I first listened it sounded kinda thin. Then I realized that the sound image was dead-on center and the sound field was wide and beyond my windshield. The boomy bass was totally replaced by very tight, not overpowering, solidly detailed, musical bass. Vocals really stand out like the singer is sitting on the dash.

After listening for awhile, I switched back to the "before" sound. What I thought was good before is really quite awful sounding now. I'm converted and thinking about trying it on my home theater system. Costs less than a set of good speakers and the best single improvement I ever heard to a car audio system. :) :)

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you do a write up so many others can do the same? I have no experience with audio hardware mods (just B-Quiet Extreme). I would love to do something like yours.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could see that... My home stereo has something similar. I'm sure a proper EQ would make a huge difference. I just didn't realize there were add-on devices for cars. Off to see how much it costs...

EDIT: ~$400? Ouch.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With a username like banjoman, how can we ever trust your opinion relating to music? :D

Tom

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It sounds very promising but .............$400.00 for an electronic automatic parametric EQ?

Besides,it is not suitable for all types of Prius audio equipment with out cutting audio wires lines but, it is direct plug and play for newer Alpine line of amps.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 25 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]530497[/snapback]</div>
    It made enough of an impact that JL Audio dropped the price of their (less featured) CleanSweep 441dsp $100 when the Alpine unit was introduced.

I paid about $259 for my CleanSweep. The $450 for the Alpine unit was a little more than I was willing to pay for a unit which was still an unknown quantity at the time I was upgrading my audio system. If you are serious about getting decent sound in your Prius, and not willing to give up the factory head unit, you're looking at $250 minimum to clean up the uneven frequency response of the JBL amp (unless you're willing to give up a few things and try a LOC with remote volume control off the constant level head unit outputs).

You're going to be very limited to what you can do to upgrade your Prius audio system if you aren't willing to cut a wire or two.

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 24 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]530043[/snapback]</div>

:mellow: For those of us who haven't replaced the JBL system, would it work for us? $400 wouldn't be bad if we didn't have to replace everything else too!

Lee

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 24 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]530043[/snapback]</div>
    Many home theater receivers and processors already have that feature. Pioneer's Elite VSX-49TX was one of the first receivers if not the first to incorporate this (over four years ago), and now the technology has trickled down all the way to the $850 retail Denon AVR-2308CI. Upgrading your A/V receiver or processor is probably a much better choice than trying to add it on.

9. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I paid less than $400. It pays to shop around. It's a bargain for a car, the home version is $2,500! It does much more than EQ. It effectively moves the speakers electronically by adjusting delay times. The more I listen, the more I appreciate this. I'm a classical music fan but also like oldies, James Taylor, and banjo music <_< . Talk radio has never sounded better. It comes from dead center and is much easier to understand the callers. It removes the mud but not the mud-throwing. :lol:

The unit can be setup using a PC or its self-contained calibration system--both work. The PC gives a few more options for the selecting an EQ curve but you can customize the sound with just the unit itself.

The CleanSweep is not the same kind of animal. It only flattens out the electronic signal. The Alpine does that too and then applies compensation for the acoustics of the listening area. This is a significant plus.

Wire cutting is needed to insert it into the circuit. I decided to place it before the JBL amp to preserve all the OEM systems functions (steering wheel volume, fader and balance control.) The downside is that only two channels are EQed.

The instructions suggest it be inserted between the factory amp and your after-market four-channel amp and then to use the supplied remote for volume, fader and balance control. This setup is optimal because the unit would equalize the front and rear speaker individually and also a sub. Since I spent the big bucks for the front speakers, I'm only using the rears to reinforce bass by using the low-pass filter on my amp. I may change to the suggested hookup just for drill. ;)

Where to mount the unit is still to be decided. I've kinda loaded up the under-seat space already with the amp but me thinks I spy a possible space in the general neighborhood.

I'm a little long-winded tonight. Will post more details as the develop.

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Oct 25 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]530505[/snapback]</div>
    It would work for you or any one if you where able to "test" drive the Clean Sweep installed by a pro-installer or some body with a solid knowledge of car audio gear installations to have it done right. If it does not sound with the advertised "excel sound" your decision will be to de-install it at only labor costs expenses. A reputable car audio company will accept the challenge. Besides, more likely it will be other interface supplies involved to implement this equipment.

Installation will be right for the ones with the skimpy JBL external amplifier ( under the passenger's seat) and stock HU.

If the total cost averages 400, it is not a bad investment the addition of the Alpine's Clean Sweep.

In my case, I have the standard HU with all new Infinity gear; pwr amp, sub woofer and replaced door speakers over 2 1/2 layers of Bquiet, the cabin was internally Eq'ed with an spectrum analyzer for a FLAT response and a dual 24 band parametric EQ, adjusting mood settings through my carputer front end.

The sound on the Prii can be improved, and a lot, depending on your budget.

[​IMG]

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 25 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]530537[/snapback]</div>
    If you've adjusted the delays for a person sitting in the driver's seat (it sounds like you have), you've actually made things worse for the passenger, as now the left speaker sounds even farther away for them, while you've positioned yourself equidistant from both speakers. Just something to consider when setting up the time delay feature.

IMHO, every link in the Prius audio chain is weak, and you can't have improved audio without replacing the speakers, adding an amp, and adding equalization. With a good pair of component speakers a subwoofer becomes optional. A new (additional) high-power head unit and component speakers is actually the cheapest upgrade that will neutralize or eliminate all of the weak links in the Prius audio system. Keeping the stock head unit means spending a minimum of $500 for equalization and amplification.

Does the Alpine unit apply different corrections at different volume settings, or is it one curve regardless of volume setting, like the JL Audio CleanSweep? I don't view this as a disadvantage, as I would actually prefer to have the effect of a loudness circuit at lower volumes (which is why I don't use the CleanSweep's volume control).

12. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 25 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]530593[/snapback]</div>
    It's a valid observation that I optimized the sound for the driver since I rarely have the audio system on when I have passengers. (Actually consider it rude. :( ) But the system allows for multiple "sweet spots" and, when following the setup instructions to the letter, you take calibration samples in eight different locations in the cabin including the rear seats. This is its big selling point, improved sound for everyone in the car.

Like the CleanSweep, it wants the HU set to a fixed volume setting and then to use its remote for all volume adjustment. Like you, I decided the loudness compensation of the HU's volume control in not necessarily bad, in fact it's desirable to me.

Tonight I just sat in the car in the garage and listened to some favorite CDs. I'm amazed at the detail I'm hearing in them for the first time. Switching back to the "before" setting is literally like throwing an old Army blanket over the speakers (JL Audio ZRs). (Can you tell I'm very enthusiastic about this? Almost as much as I was when I first got the Prius.)

13. mikeski

mikeski New Member

Banjoman, sounds like you gave up on the steering wheel controls?

This is very timely information...

I just finished installing a mono amp and subwoofer to my 2008 JBL system. The boomy distorted bass that comes from the front door speakers makes the system sound terrible. I should have enough power from the stock amp and my sub to do what is needed in this small quiet car but it needs lots of work before I will be happy.

My 2008 JBL amp has three plugs not two as I have seen in a few other's write-ups. I added a Sony XM-1S amp because it stacks nicely on top of the factory JBL amp under the passenger seat. Sony amps are close to my last choice in amplifiers but this one seemed to meet my requirements best so I thought I would give it a try.

So far it's just OK, seems a bit underpowered but it's hard to tell with such a poor source. I tapped off the rear channels speaker outputs of the JBL amp. I also installed 100Uf caps on the stock speakers hoping to cut out some of the bass. That crossover point/slope is still too low/flat to keep the muddy bass out of the stock speakers. I took this approach with my BMW HK system and had great results, not so great results with the Prius.

I want to keep the factory head unit, I also want the system to operate as it was designed (steering wheel volume, bluetooth through LF speaker, automatic mute for incoming calls, NAV over LF speaker). I like Alpine gear, specifically the PDX amps and Type R subs.

I am hoping the new 2008 JBL amp has pre-amp level inputs, the third plug? I need to test the signal on the thin wires to see what it is and see how it reacts when I unplug the amp. I spend quite a bit of time in my car, I like music, so I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the sound system up to par.

It's just a little disappointing when my seven year old ext cab pickup with used MB Quart speakers, used e-bay thunderform 2-10 box, used e-bay clarion amp, and $199 Pioneer deck system sounds 1000% better than my new quiet car... Total spend on the truck was less than $500.

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the crappy JBL "premium" audio system in the Prius hadn't soured you on the idea of ever putting anything else branded "JBL" into your car:

JBL is set to release a OEM integration processor similar to the Alpine unit at a price point of around $800. Like the Alpine unit, it was announced long ago and is taking forever to make it to the retailers. People were talking about the Alpine unit for at least a year it seems, and its release kept getting delayed (one reason I gave up on waiting for it). The JBL unit seems to have even more capabilities than the Alpine unit (it should, at a 50% higher price point). It seems to have very flexible inputs, and the auto-calibration feature uses three different listening points at each seating position. Apparently you put on this headphone-like contraption and are instructed to sit in each of the seats of your car during calibration and move your head to look in different directions. It has built-in 20 watt amps for the eight output channels, as well as electronic crossovers, and of course time delay and equalization. It looks like you could actually bi-amp both front and rear component speakers with just this unit if you were willing to use the built-in amplification. Here are some useful links:

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/sho...ead.php?t=65668

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/350345.html

http://www.12volt.com/index.php?option=com...Itemid=88889342

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USsrTQzq8xQ

I need to keep convincing myself that I've hit the sweet spot for price/performance and that I don't need to make any further changes to my Prius audio system. Still, it sounds like an impressive unit, and the prototypes seem to be performing well.

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From a thread on diymobileaudio.com, referring to an article on audiogroupforum.com that I can't find:

16. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 26 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]530924[/snapback]</div>
    Boy oh boy, it just shows to go ya that being first on the block with something new will only make you wish you'd waited. But then, if you never get anything, you won't got nothin'. :rolleyes:

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ya know, this whole thing smacks of conspiracy.

First, JBL supplies Toyota with an OE audio system with a frequency response that looks like a silhouette of the Himalayas.

Then, to solve this problem, they offer an $800 device to "fix" the output of the OE system.

I smell a rat.

18. bayareakirk

bayareakirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where did you find the Alpine PXE-H650? I've had one on back order for some time.

Glad to hear it works well.

Please give an update. Especially on mounting and if you have tried hooking it up different ways. I was thinking to put it under the passenger seat and to put my JL amp under the driver's seat, but will probably just run both to the trunk.

19. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noshortcuts @ Oct 31 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]532977[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still lovin' it. I have an amp under the passenger seat on top of the JBL amp. There is just enough room in front of the JBL amp for the Alpine. I'd like to have it on sliders so it can be easily accessed for adjustment and then slid back under the seat. Still working on this part but the unit is connected and running.

I got mine off eBay for $350 including shipping. The seller had several and might still have some. If you're interested PM me for his address.

20. bayareakirk

bayareakirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Alpine unit is finally on the way (a different ebay seller for $340 shipped).

Can you help me understand how I can use it and keep the steering wheel controls.

You say it needs to be installed before the JbL amp to do this, but I can't picture why that works and putting it after the JBL amp (and before the added amp) wouldn't work.

Have you tried it both ways (before and after the stock JBL amp)? If so, what are the pros and cons.

I appreciate any input. Pictures or diagrams would be welcome too ;)