1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wow!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Silverlode, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

Total 160 miles on my new 2007 Touring edition.

Drive home from work today (8 miles total) averaged over 72 MPG!!

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silverlode @ Oct 3 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]327653[/snapback]</div>
    How did you do on the drive to work? Since my ride to work is downhill, I only pay attention to round trips.

3. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

After my drive to work this morning, my round trip MPG is around 60.

4. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tracked my milleage since day one but lost part of my records from January '05 (when I bought the car) to March of '05. I hit 60mpg twice during that time.
    However, I also hit 60mpg 3 times since - or to be more precise: 59.75mpg, 60.15mpg, 60.31mpg. I will give a description so you all can track it and see whether u can achieve this as well. I am sure you all have found that it requires an adjustment in discipline from a pure combustion engine.
    Details as follows:

Assumptions: Stock 2005 Prius with package #3 (keyless + 6 airbag). Gasoline Octane at 93. Milleage Trip A set to 0. Full tank of gas. Milleage calculated when refilled to full (including a top off) and divided from Trip counter A. This is from gas station to gas station (as I always do on long distance trips) - All these trips are this year (2006).

Trip 1: LI -> NYC (City/highway)
    Miles Driven: 192.4mi
    Gallons refilled: 3.22gallons
    MPG: 59.75
    Passengers: 2 (incl. driver)
    Time Period: 1 week (well mostly on the weekend)
    Nothing extraordinary. Regular driving... gas'd up before heading into the city... spent my weekend in the city... back and forth and all around from Flushing to Manhattan and back... then to Manhasset Mall... to Roosevelt Field Mall (the gf was on a shopping spree - just because I save a lot on gas money... well it becomes just that much more for her to spend *sigh*)

Trip 2: Westbury, NY -> Andover, MA [No Cruise Control]
    Miles Driven: 279.1 miles
    Gallons refilled: 4.64gallons
    MPG: 60.15
    Passengers: 3 adults (incl. driver)
    Cargo: My mom's bathroom tub - well equivelent. Let's see, there was at least TWO 50pound bags of rice in the car (god only knows why she needs to buy rice from NY to give to my Grandparents in MA.). And probably about another 200-300 pounds of "stuff" - my dad and I had our laptops and a backpack.
    Route Taken: I-495E -> Cross Island Pkwy -> Whitestone Expressway -> (errands in Flushing - & around) -> Whitestone Expressway -> Whitestone bridge -> I-95N (Bruckner Expwy) -> I-95N (Connecticut Tpke) -> I-91N -> I-84E/N -> I-90E (Massechusettes Tpke) -> I-495N
    Conditions, Weather: Overcast/cloudy - no rains.
    Conditions, Roadway: Dry.
    Traffic:
    NY: Heavy traffic (as always) - highway driving similair to city. Short stop & go (0-20mph for about 15miles) so I glided a lot and achieved approx. 70mpg (off the cool mileage calculator). Once passed New Rochelle it was clear driving. Steady speed at 65mph at that point.
    Conn/Mass: Continuous 65mph driving (lots of gliding on the downhills). And the mpg started dropping...

Trip 3: Baltimore, MD -> Flushing, NY (around Labor Day) [No Cruise Control]
    Miles Driven: 247.3 miles
    Gallons refilled: 4.1gallons
    MPG: 60.317
    Passengers: 3 adults plus a toddler... 3.5?
    Cargo: 2 backpacks, a small suitcase, ice chest... and a diaper bag for my friend's kid. Can earplugs count?
    Route Taken: I-895 -> I-95N (JFK Memorial Hwy) -> I-295/Deleware Bridge -> I-95 (NJ Tpke) -> OuterBridge Crossing -> Rt440 -> I-278 -> Verrazano Narrows Brdg -> Belt Pkwy/Eastern LI -> I-678 (Van Wyke Expy) -> Rego Park & Flushing.
    Conditions, Weather: Overcast/cloudy - no rains.
    Conditions, Roadway: Mostly Dry? It was after Hurricane Something...
    Traffic:
    MD -> NJ: Flew... our speeds was, a little excessive (my friend has his Honda Accord and I was in my "little" Prius). So let's say "75" mph. I followed him kinda close (little to no weaving). I "glided" a lot due to our speeds and distance from each other. Soooo I went up and down about 15mph and our bottom speed was around 70mph. *BLUSH*
    NY: All clear - my friend stopped in Brooklyn - so I cruised at around 55-60mph.

===================================================
    My observations: Generalizing
    Anytime I refilled my tank before driving 220miles, I avg'd around 50mpg.
    Filling up around 180miles usually gives me 52mpg's.
    Anytime I refilled my tank after driving 280miles, I avg'd 44mpg.
    Between 220 and 275 it varies - I assume by my driving and/or road conditions.
    The only two times I hit around 36mpg was when I filled up with regular octane (87 octane). I refilled with 87 octane twice in a row (just to see and make sure it was more or less 87 octane).
    Over 274 miles & 7.561 gallons, I got 36.239mpg :/ Driving pretty conservatively too...
    . . . . . .

Total Milleage: 12180 miles

Documented Statistics:
    ===============
    Milleage: 7928.8miles
    Gallons used: 158.48
    Cost of Gasoline: $532.50

Calculated Statistics:
    ==============
    Avg Miles Per Gallon: 7928.8mi/158.48g = 50.03mpg
    Avg Cost per Mile: $532.50/7928.8mi = $0.06716 cpm

I hope you had fun reading this. So all in all, I made 60mpg 5 times... unless u don't count the 59.75mpg :p then 4 times... But only 3 of the trips were fairly well documented. Couldn't believe I achieved some of that milleage going as fast as I was... so good luck to you Tazmanian devils.

-Calvin

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silverlode @ Oct 4 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]327778[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, now I'm impressed!! :)