1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WOW!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jul 22, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    did anyone catch the transatlantic tunnel show on Extreme Engineering on the Discovery Channel.

if you didnt you may find what im about to tell you very hard to believe. and if you did, your head is still probably spinning from the outrageous figures the show was throwing around.

the proposal was an underwater tunnel floating at a depth of 85 feet and 3,100 miles long. it would consist of 54,000 330 ft tunnel segments and would cost a mere 15 TRILLION dollars!!.

But the benefits would be tremendous. the design estimates a trip time from New York City to London in 54 minutes!! A Maglev train travelling in a near vacuum would have a top speed of near 5,000 mph.

the project would be ambitious and would take up to 100 years to build. but it would revolutionize travel. one of the possible benefits of such a system would be a person living in New York but working in London. as far out or improbable as this project sounds, the need is definitely there. and who knows what advances technology would bring?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Truly, i think they should put certain projects up for a.. well.. vote.. and if people want to fund it.. they can.. which would help it be done a lot faster. I myself would give to help fund something like that. With enough money, i'm sure they can build it faster.

that would be awesome though.... but wait.. i live in California.. and i'm still waiting for that purposed bullet train from the north to the south. I could really use that about now. I love driving my prius.. but if it took only 2 hours to get to L.A.... and i could see the person who i care for greatly whenever i want... i would be very happy.

Plus.. it's a bullet train... i would still feel pretty green :mrgreen:

3. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    reading that post again.. i think they should just have a world train... a huge train that would wrap around the world. stop in a few key places on each continent. that, would be awesome. We don't want any accidents though.. so the whole thing would be incased.. be bomb proof.. and .. well.. plane proof.. just incase.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is going to float 85' below the surface, maintaining an absolute dead straight point to point tunnel for 3,000 miles anchored to nothing holding it in place? And they are going to maintain this vacuum how? Then of course there is the matter of acceleration/deceleration - 5K MPH? OK, maybe my great great great grand kids will see it but I expect Star Trek type transporters will show up first. :)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone got the math to calculate how many G's would be placed upon the passengers by a train that accelerated and decelerated rapidly enough to make the NY - London trip in 54 minutes?

And who's going to invest 15 trillion bucks in a project that won't come on line for 100 years? Plus, the operating cost is going to put the price of tickets through the roof! Remember Concord? Great idea: London to NY in 4 hours. But it was too expensive to operate.

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. we'll start off simple.. a huge sling-shot... and a capsule you sit in.. with some parachutes... it might work... worlds largest sling-shot

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm, what about the effect of vibration and magnetic fields on Marine Life?

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the acceleration would be hardly felt. the acceleration and deceleration process would take 18 minutes. the middle part of the trip at top speed would last only 18 min also.

vibration on maglev has already proven to be nearly nonexistant.

during the show, there was a computer simulation on how the monitoring system would work if a whale or worse a submarine were to lose control and hit the tunnel.

basically, at that speed, we are talking space shuttle speeds so the tunnel would be monitored all the time. if a collision is imminent, computers would automatically adjust tension to some of the 55,000 retaining cables so that the shock to the tunnel is minimized.

and as for the concorde being a good idea??? the fact that it came from the french should way more than enough clues to realize that the thing would never be useful anyway. its cost and passenger capacity never justified its exorbitant costs.

the thing that got me was that it would take a dozen Boeing 747 jet engines running at full power for 2 weeks to suck out all the air in the tunnel to create the vacuum.

best i can say is to watch the show. it is on cable and im sure will go through the default pattern of being shown about 2-4 times a month for the rest of the summer. they can explain it better than i could. and much of the show is speculation. in fact if you are familiar with the series "Extreme Engineering" you will realize that many episodes deal with the outer fringes of scientific daydreams.

there was an episode talking about a bridge across the bering strights that would bridge the gap between Siberia and Nome Alaska. that was an expensive project and lets face it. we are talking about a bridge over 80+ miles of one of the most inhospitable bodies of water in the world and to top it off, the bridge will start nowhere and go nowhere. the bridge will probably be built by the oil companies in an effort to make it easier to explore for more oil to burn in their SUV's

9. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

Here comes the physics...

Given:
    total distance: 3100 miles
    total time: 54 minutes

The smallest possible acceleration is achieved by accelerating constantly until the midpoint and then decelerating constantly until the destination. So we split the problem in half to see how much acceleration each leg would involve:

distance (d) = 1550 miles
    time (t) = 27 minutes

Given:
    [font=Courier New:1065cb36f4]a = 2d / t^2[/font:1065cb36f4]

Solve for a:
    [font=Courier New:1065cb36f4]a = 2(1550 miles) / (27 minutes)^2[/font:1065cb36f4]

... which Our Lord the Almighty Google tells us equals about 6.2 feet per second per second, or less than 1/5 the acceleration due to gravity.

No sweat. Even the space shuttle only pulls 3 Gs during takeoff -- you'd hardly even notice 1/5 G. If you wanted to give passengers some time in the middle to get up and stretch, you could accelerate a little harder and coast for a while at the midpoint.

That's probably where they got their 5,000 mph top speed. Using my acceleration your velocity at the midpoint would actually be:
    [font=Courier New:1065cb36f4]
    v = a * t = (6.2 feet per second per second) * (27 minutes) = about 6,800 mph[/font:1065cb36f4]

10. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

Blast! You beat me to it! :mrgreen:

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i think that the middle section of 18 min would be at constant velocity so that people can get up and move around as even small acceleration would be enough to leave some a little off balanced.

in fact as you mentioned, the show says the rate of aceleration would hardly be noticeable and would be one of the requirements for widespread acceptance and at a cost of 15 trillion, widespread acceptance would be a must.

12. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

Ah, they used 6.8 feet per second per second acceleration so the numbers would all work out nicely:
    [font=Courier New:0eac633cfb]
    a = v / t
    a = 5000 mph / 18 minutes = 6.8 feet per second per second
    d = 1/2 a * t^2
    d = 1/2 * 6.8 f/s/s * (18 minutes)^2 = about 750 miles
    5000 mph * 18 minutes = 1500 miles
    [/font:0eac633cfb]
    You spend the 1/3 of the trip time accelerating up to 5000 mph (traveling 750 miles), cruise at that speed for 1/3 the time (going 1500 miles), and then spin your chairs around the other way and decelerate for the last 1/3 of the trip (another 750 miles).
    Yeah, that's what I meant about the coasting in my first post.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, so acceleration isn't a problem. What about operating costs?

Or, how about these numbers: (Speculation, of course, just like the concept.)

$15 trillion to build. It takes a hundred years, so we're talking very long-term loans, so let's say 10% interest, means $1.5 trillion per year in interest payments. But since the thing produces no revenue until it's completed, money borrowed early to start it off pays compound interest. Let's be really really generous and say that by completion, they're paying $3 trillion a year in interest. Now let's say that three thousand people a day ride on this thing (population growth and intercontinental commuting). Round it off to a million passengers a year.

They'll have to charge $3 million for a one-way ticket just to pay the interest, and that does not even count the operating costs such as fuel, ticket agents, attendants, maintenance, depreciation of rolling stock, in-flight peanuts, security cops, and military submarines to prevent some gang of malcontents from bombing the tunnel.

It's only $100,000 to ride that new private sub-orbital rocket ship.

Sounds like make-believe to me.

14. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Wasn't the Chunnel suppose to revolutionize cross-Channel commerce and such? And isn't the Chunnel company hemoraging money like crazy?

Extreme Engineering also had a show about a cross-Gibraltar bridge, a giant floating city, and a massive city-tower. They were all pretty cool looking ideas, but seemed completely unnecessary from a practicality standpoint.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya the super tower planned for Tokyo was also a hell of an idea.

one building, 250,000 residents, over 5 times the height of the tallest building on earth...

definitely an ambitious project but i guess they actually had broke ground for it, but now its stalled because of the recession that japan experienced in 2001, crippled its funding.

that project was a bargain at 1.5 trillion.

i guess there was also a problem with the polymer they were going to use for construction. i guess now they arent sure that they can supply it fast enough and that it might not be as wonderful as they first thought or its going to be more expensive than they thought.

you realize that they are in the process of building a mini model of "skycity" in Taiwan (i think) and had to do some major reworking because of money problems so the height which as planned although much shorter, would shrink another 500 feet and the major supports would be reduced in size to save money. and the polymer would be replaced by high tension steel that in proper proportions was supposed to work as well (although it is untested in any buildings that large or tall)

the mini skycity is suppose to house 15,000 so its much smaller than the Tokyo plan.

as far as funding for the transatlantic tunnel, 10%?? for a public works project? i see a much better rate than that. something that big would have to be built by governments.

bonds for something with that kind of investment life wouldnt sell so government funding is the only way. 15 trillion is simply too much money to fund any other way.

for that matter, one trillion couldnt be privately funded either.

16. rflagg

rflagg Member

$15 trillion? Let's just empty Uncle Dick Cheney's pockets, and while we're at it, Ken Lay, Halliburton, the Bush family, and the Bin Ladens. That should probably be plenty enough. :)

-m.

17. Batavier

Batavier Member

Even though these kinds of ideas aren't very practical (and economically sound), it's great to watch those shows. :)

As for the accelerations, I wouldn't mind if it was a bit faster than just 1/5G... :p

And for my holiday to Cornwall I travelled through the Chunnel. It's quite a ride: you hardly notice it. Takes less than 30 mins to go from end to end. I like it. :)

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only way government is going to finance a big project is by selling bonds. But the more bonds you try to sell, the higher the cost becomes, as you need to entice more people to buy.

Now, here's the kicker: nobody's going to buy a 100-year bond. So you sell 10-year bonds and renew them every ten years. But now your renewal bonds are competing with your new bonds, as the project needs continual financing, and as the total debt mounts the interest rate you have to offer skyrockets, and the effects ripple throughout the economy.

Then, in 50 years from now, with no new money available and crippling interest payments, the government finally decides to cancel the project and default on the bonds. After all, they're still 50 years from completion and nobody in power is going to live to see any benefits from the project.

Finally, there's interest to be paid right from the start, and even if you pay the interest with more borrowing, that affects the whole economy by driving interest rates up. What politician or what voter is going to agree to begin paying for a project that she or he will never see completed?

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's a generic way to make money, and if you do it right it's legal, as long as nobody can prove that your intention was fraudulent:

Figure out a hare-brained scheme; convince people to invest in it; set up an office and pay yourself a salary until you run out of money and the project fails. The corporation declares bankruptcy and its assets are sold to pay the investors 5 cents on the dollar. You, as an employee, get to keep the salary you've paid yourself. Since you paid yourself a very generous salary, you can retire.

I suspect that a lot of these projects fall into that category. It looks even better if (like the Concord or the chunnel) the project actually functions for a decade or two before it goes bankrupt, plus you get paid longer.

20. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    So, about the price of a hotdog in 2100, then. :wink:

Not that I believe the thing'll ever happen, but the programme was a fun bit of fantasy (and interesting in the parts where it touches the Real World).

Concorde was an Anglo-French joint venture, and a fairly early experiment in international engineering cooperation. Many of the lessons learnt paved the way for later projects such as the Channel Tunnel (but for a counterexample, see Eurofighter :().