1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrap-Around Warranty - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jagsterr, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jagsterr

Jagsterr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new here. I just bought a 08 Touring and LOVE it! It was a leased vehicle with 33K miles on it. The dealer is asking me to buy the "Wrap-Around Extended Warranty" for $1796 and also "Pre-Service" for $695 which will cover all the oil changes and tune ups up to 75K miles.

My powertrain is covered to 4/2015.

:confused:What do you think? Would you buy it?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope.
    Not me.

YMMV, but generally speaking buying a B2B warranty from the dealer is a loose-loose deal.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Put the money in the bank. Yes there can be high priced repairs (like any car) . But, The Prius does not have any MAJOR system problems. If like 95% of Prius owners you never use or need the coverage then you still have that money 5 years from now.

Pre-paid servicing is just a major rip-off from the dealer. If you are not paying cash - then you have financed the service cost. Why pay interest on the oil change you will get 3 years from now?

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you sure you have the Touring trim line? I would check to see if you have 16 inch tires with six spoke wheels. I see a number of dealers selling "Touring" models but the picture of the car shows it with 15 inch five spoke wheels. On the West Coast the Turing option only came loaded with every option.

A dealer who starts out misrepresenting the car (and over charging you) can't be trusted. If it turns out that it's NOT a Touring model they should give you the service package for free.

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only reason to buy a warranty is if you are extremely risk averse. They are always money makers for the dealer.

I paid $66 for my last oil change (including tire rotation). Every 10k, until 75k (8 total) is only $528. So, you are paying an extra $167 for the privilege of paying interest on $695 for however many years. Yikes.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're both a total waste of money.