1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wrong inverter pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BuyJapanese, Mar 22, 2022.

1. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently ordered a used "OEM" inverter pump from ebay, apparently I wasn't paying attention to pics. Missed return period. The one I got is the wrong size & shape. I looked them up on rockauto and the one I have is the same as the Four Seasons one shown there, although without the attached bracket.

There doesn't seem to be a way to secure this one to the car. I could connect everything and just...leave it hanging there, held up by the coolant hoses...maybe I can ziptie it to the frame...does the orientation matter to reduce problems caused by air bubbles for instance? Or has anyone installed one of these longer/thinner Four Seasons pumps successfully?

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    BuyJapanese likes this.
  3. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I've done more research since I posted and I believe you're right about that, and the rockauto listing is just confusing. I didn't know the engine had an "auxiliary" water pump; I've replaced the belt-driven one before. It's annoying that the hose fittings and wiring all seem to be the same size as the inverter pump. Oh well.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Doorman and carter in add correct.. four seasons not.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The pump in your photo is neither the inverter water cooling pump nor the engine cooling water pump. That leaves two more options......
    maybe it mounts just below and to the passenger side of the ICWP, or maybe it mounts behind the inverter near the master cylinder....but it really doesn't matter, since it's not an ICWP, which is what you actually need.

6. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you search EBay for used parts, “Prius inverter pump”, you see a lot of the things that I mistakenly bought. Usually they have “auxiliary” in the title. Anyway, the right part is on the way now.