1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ws (world standard) transaxle fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, May 10, 2011.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the WS transaxle fluid that the toyota dealers refeer to as world standard....that is labled from torance california.. the same quality fluid that came orignal (from japan) in my 2009 prius transaxle??? I ask only because the oil filter sold by dealers is made in thailande and the orignal oil filter that came on my prius was made in japan and appears to be better quality than the thailande filter. Same question about the toyota torance california oils sold at the toyota dealer is as good as orignal oil sold in prius's.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota ATF WS fluid is produced by a US supplier to TMS USA. I assume that the factory-fill ATF WS was produced by a Japanese supplier to Toyota.

Regardless, I have no information that would lead me to believe that the ATF WS that you can buy in the US differs materially from the factory fill fluid. Unless you are planning to buy this fluid from a Japanese source and pay $$ for shipping, I don't see that you have any reasonable alternative.

It is true that the replacement oil filter is made in Thailand. I believe that the filter is quite suitable for Prius use.