1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WSJ Compares 2013 Fusion Hybrid to Prius - 26 MPG??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by car compulsive, Oct 5, 2012.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jonathan Welsh of the Wall Street Journal recently brought home a 2013 Fusion hybrid and said "...
    it will be a formidable rival for Toyota’s Prius. The Ford is better-looking and doesn’t carry the image-related baggage that has branded the Prius as a statement vehicle for the left-leaning." He praised the smooth ride, roomy interior, and over 40 MPG he was getting when he started his 15 mile commute home from Manhattan. But, some "aggressive passes" and an uphill exit ramp cut his mileage and he was happy to see it roll from 25.9 to 26 MPG as he stopped in front of his garage at home. I hoped that MPG was a typo, but it wasn't corrected.

Really? 26 MPG is going to compete with the Prius?

Review (subscription may be required):

Short Drive: Ford Fusion Hybrid has Toyota Prius in Crosshairs - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Update: Review updated to read 46 MPG. Now it makes sense...

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    quite the obvious typo

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It reads 46. Maybe they updated it since your post.

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Left leaning? I just put a USMA WestPoint license plate frame on ours just to prove them wrong. BTW, I've seen at least 3 Prius here in the LA area with Romney/Ryan 2012 bumper stickers on them. I guess like in the 1960's with the Hippies and their trademark VW buses we have an image to uphold.

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius might have a left leaning image, but DC area conservatives do drive Prii as well ... Last week I saw a Prius c in the parking lot with Tea Party and Libertarian bumper stickers.

The Ford Fusion Hybrid (FFH) has very nice ergonomics and it rides smoothly - but (1) the 2010 FFH MRSP was signficantly higher than the Prius Liftback - unless you qualified for the government incentatives (which I didnot) and (2)the Prius is capable of getting higher fuel efficiency than the FFH, and (3) the FFH doesn't have a very large and active owner/driver community like the Prius. The FFH ergonomics and electronics is much better than Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH) - which Ford is replacing with the C-max hybrid which is really the new Ford hybrid to watch.

6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, I sent him an email yesterday, maybe that did it.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would want to compare the EPA mileage numbers vs. some guy driving around.

At 47 mpg for Fusion, it is more of a competitor for the Camry Hybrid at 40 mpg.

However the WSJ did get one thing right and that is that for people concerned with style, the Fusion and the C-MAX are both good looking feature rich cars that will eat into the Camry and Prius markets.

We know that Prius owners spend thousands trying to give some style to the Prius so there is a solid market there. For those looking for pure mpg, the Prius will continue to get sales.

Hopefully Toyota will respond with more style and features. I waited until the 2010 model year because, prior to that, the Prius was too purposely drab. 2010 added some edge, literally and stylistically and with the 50 mpg barrier broke a combo of mileage and looks.

8. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius is becoming so common that I don't there is much of an image thing any more.
    It is good to have more choices.

Competition is good!

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Common is not stylish.

10. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was referring to the article where it said "image-related baggage". Common meaning when seeing a Prius now it is just another car and not a "Green" statement. I agree with you and the 3rd Gen looking much better and 2012 update is even better. It seems the right is just going after the Volt now.

More choices will let people pick a car that is good looking to them. One place I think the prius is lacking is ride quality and road noise. I know Toyota did everything to save weight to get the ultimate MPG, but to some people top MPG my not be what they are after. It seems the Fusion and C-Max have the Prius beat in ride quality. I think this and style may get more people into hybrids and hopefully with economies of scale hybrid/EV prices will keep coming down.

11. Texas-Prius

Texas-Prius One more Prius to fight terrorism

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless an article is written by Consumer Reports, I tend to read all of them with several grains of salt :rolleyes:

- TP

ProximalSuns likes this.
  12. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree the FFH and the TCH are competiting for the same market - more stylish and more comfortably appointed .
    I like the new Ford C -max hybrid design. From what I seen on of a 2005 FEH, Ford's onboard diagonistic systems are not deeply integrated and the codes are very basic - a mechanic with good diagonistic skills is even more important with the Ford hybrids.

13. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I may be wrong here but I really believe that when the EPA test a hybrid vehicle
    the mpg numbers always seem to lean on the high side.

Wayne Gerdes from cleanmpg.com recently obtained 90 mpg in over 1,600 mile on one tank
    in a 2013 VW Passat TDI, 6 speed manual, hypermiling. I believe the EPA figures for that vehicle are mid 30's for
    average mpg's.

I don't be believe that 90 mpg's could be achieved,even hypermiling, with a Prius.

The main reason why hybrid vehicles are not at all popular in Europe is that they are
    allowed to have several choices of vehicles with diesel engines. Some obtain over
    70 mpg (U.S. Gallons) on the Euro fuel economy cycle.

14. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here are some of Wayne's numbers: (these are all out hyper drive efforts)

220 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Honda Insight-I
    138 mpgUS in a Honda Civic turbo diesel
    136 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Prius-II
    128 mpgUS on a RT loop Hyundai Elantra GT
    126 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Prius c
    115 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Honda CR-Z
    105 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Honda Civic Hybrid-II
    100 mpgUS on a RT loop in a Prius-III

Remember diesel has a higher energy density than gas. Wayne recently tested the Hyundai Elantra GT and got 128 mpg. "This is the first modern day automobile that has surpassed its EPA by over four times its combined rating of 31 mpgUS".

Here is his review of the Elantra GT
    CleanMPG Reviews the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT - CleanMPG Forums

15. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid looks stunning compared to the Prius. I would have bought it over the Prius if my past experience with the Ford Fusion was pleasant. How can anyone link political affiliation with the car they drive? I do not know why people assume that the only reason you buy a Prius is to save the environment.

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    With gas prices headed for $5 a gallon here in California my wife commented about our 2 month old Prius...."Looks like getting the Prius was probably the first intelligent thing we've done since we've been married, and we've been married almost 30 years." And here I thought getting rid of the dog that chewed up the patio furniture on a regular basis was the most intelligent thing we've done!