1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB Used Razr Phone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Apr 1, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I'm a pretty minimalist and frugal guy. Usually, frugality is the driving factor on most of my decisions. For example, I still have dial-up at home.

Over the weekend I was walking past a U.S. Cellular store (my provider) and I got a thought: what do they do with all the phones that people don't need any more when they get a new one with a new contract? So I walked in and asked. Turns out they recycle them. That's pretty nice.

So I asked if I could have one. Oh yeah, I'm sometimes a little cocky and bold. After all, I reasoned, it requires energy to recycle and it would be a shame if some of their parts ended up in landfills. So the only logical option is to put the functional phones back into circulation where they can continue to serve their designed purpose.

They don't do that.

So I've decided to put it to the populous here.
    If anyone is considering getting rid of their phone (and I have to admit that I really like the Razr and the bluetooth would work with Priapus) please let me know. Now you have to know that I'm not going to offer $100 or some such silly amount (re-read the first paragraph). But I'll give you, let's say, $20 more than U.S. Cellular would give you and I'll pay for shipping.

You can take your phone to any store and they will wipe all information from it.
    I will, of course, have to get it programmed for my phone number.

Now I realize what some of you are thinking: "Here's a guy who wants to pay only $20 for a phone that someone else paid more than $100 for."
    Yeah, pretty much. But if you were going to throw it out anyway, what's the harm?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 1 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]416282[/snapback]</div>
    All you need to do is switch the SIM card from the old phone to the new. That's the beauty of GSM. No programming is required.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with your sentiment, and suggest you even take it to craigslist or other localized sites. I have a RAZR, and if I were planning on getting a new phone I'd definitely hand it off. I do have an older v60i that I'd be happy to part with, but no bluetooth on that one ;)

I think your offer is more than fair though as something like a phone depreciates about 100% as soon as you touch it. Look at deals with cell providers though because I think you can get a RAZR for like $50 now if you give them a pound of flesh. Surprisingly they still haven't noticed the gaping loophole in the "pound of flesh" contract, so you might come out of it ok.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 2 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]416515[/snapback]</div>
    True.....but Tony mentioned U.S. Cellular and that's a CDMA carrier. If he's planning to remain with USCC, he'll need a CDMA Razr.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Apr 2 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]416678[/snapback]</div>
    Oops. :eek: