1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wth? Bush lies about No Child Left Behind, Too!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Apr 20, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

States Omitting Minorities' Test Scores

If this link doesn't work (it doesn't look as if it's going to), please go to the Associated Press site and click Tuesday's stories.

By Frank Bass, Nicole Ziegler Dizon and Ben Feller, Associated Press Writers

"States are helping public schools escape potential penalties by skirting the No Child Left Behind law's requirement that students of all races must show annual academic progress.

With the Federal Government's permission, schools deliberately aren't counting the test scores of nearly 2 million students when they report progress by racial groups, an Associated Press computer analysis found."

The Bush Administration, which never met a lie it didn't like if there's political advantage in it, is revealed to have conspired with states to subvert the major intent of No Child Left Behind. Bush has repeatedly touted NCLB as one of his greatest accomplishments, including during the 2004 election campaign.

34.6% of the 1.9 million test scores undercounted has occurred, not surprisingly, in two states: California, which has hidden 400,000 under Arnold the Republican, and Texas, with 257,000.

Education Secretary Margaret Spellings claims she didn't know about the widespread cheating until seeing the AP's findings. "Is it too many? You bet." she said.

The test scores of minority students, according to AP's analysis, are seven times more likely to have been omitted from required racial categories than those of whites.

A loophole in the law allows for minimal undercounting. However, in the last two years, 12 states have successfully petitioned the Feds for permission to widen the loophole to allow for far greater numbers of scores to be uncounted in the applicable racial categories.

Inder NCLB, penalties for failing to achieve progress in each of a school's countable racial categories include fines, forced curriculum change, the firing of administrators and/or teachers and lengthening the school year.

All of this cheating is done at the request of state departments of education, acting on the requests of various school districts within the states, with assent from Bush's DOE.

Proof positive that this is an election year.

A mush-headed, liberal Democrat plot? Nope. Direct to you from the Masters of Deceit, the no-nonsense, let's-get-tough-and-hold-those-namby-pamby-educators-accountable Republicans.

A story like this probably flies right under the radar of most Americans. I hope someone paid attention.

2. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

I don't believe that the Bush administration did this on purpose :) I believe that this, like a lot of what goes on in this administration is due to "an intelligence failure" :lol: Seems like the majority of the U.S. population is joining the rest of the world in understanding just who's intelligence has failed... ;)

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey. I wholeheartedly support any and all attempts to subvert NCLB. Hopefully, all states will find these loopholes and it will be rendered a lame duck.

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitchbf @ Apr 20 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]242805[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you're not serious. The first time someone in the DOE bureaucracy said "OK" to one of the states' requests to cheat---whether or not Bush gave it his famous wink, which he almost undoubtedly did, since the DOE knew what the consequences would be for their jobs if they violated his intent---was "on purpose".

Under Bush, Cheney and Rove, the hallmark of this administration is iron discipline. Bush knew from minute one who blew the whistle on Valerie Plame, and he knew from minute one about the Dubai port deal. He plays dumb when it's convenient, but he doesn't seem to grasp---or care--- how stupid or crass he looks when the truth comes out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 20 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]242809[/snapback]</div>
    As a liberal Democrat and a certified teacher, I support NCLB and its prescription of Federal/state standards in defiance of the "education establishment". It was long overdue.
    Until this fiasco, only Bush's deliberate underfunding of it has undermined it.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 20 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]242819[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say that you're the first teacher I've come across that supports NCLB. In my (rather extensive) conversations with teachers, I've found that most think that it squelches their creativity and makes them "teach to the test." However, all I have is second-hand knowledge, so I definately respect your opinion that it'd be a "good thing" if properly funded.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wifes a teacher, she does not think the NCLB is a good idea. She teaches special ed, and these children have severe learning issues and still have to take the states FCAT tests.... I get to hear the bitching everytime the FCAT rolls around :(

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most teachers would agree that education needs restructuring, improving, adjusting, whatever.

But...NCLB isn't the solution. Neither is standardized testing.

Our current educational system is based on a way of life that no longer exists. Our students do not need July and August off so they can help the family with the harvest. Neither do our graduates go on to work on assembly lines. Public schools were designed to provide just enough education for a worker to work sucessfully on an aseembly line or in a factory. Schools are no longer teaching what a 21st century graduate needs. But the system hasn't changed with the need. And the WAY information is taught is extremely outdated. Standardized testing and NCLB does nothing to address the problems.

Sure plenty of educational professionals can't agree exactly what can be done. But I'll tell you what's not going to happen.

Class sizes. Teaching the same thing to every child in a classroom of 35 is cheap. It's efficient. And it's ineffective. But it's not going to change because the taxpayer isn't going to pay to cut classes in half. It was good enough to provide workers for Henry Ford....it's not good enough for Bill Gates.

Instructional methods. Currently teachers spew out information in a lecture style format, students then regurgitate it back on a test. Sometimes if you're lucky some learning takes place in between. It has very little to do with the real world. When you work in an office, you look up things, you talk with co-workers. No one has to memorize formulas and equations, they have to know how to use them. If you don't you ask someone who does. That's how the real world works. We live in an "on demand" world. We can't afford the luxury of a "just in case" education.

I know of no job that requires you to bubble in circles on a form all day. I'm sure if Lil' Abner were still in the comics, he'd be bubbling in bubbles instead of being a mattress tester. So a great deal of class time is being wasted on a skill that has no practical application.

But again....neither the government nor taxpayers are going to pay what it takes to change schools from lecture/vomit to guide and explore. You'd need more teachers, more buildings and much lower class sizes. You need different schedules, different materials and resources. Teachers would need more freedom to meet the individual needs of each students rather than one size fits all. Again....lower class sizes. You'd also need to keep current with technology like businesses do. No school can afford to replace their computers every 18 months as they do in the private sector. Or even every 2 years. Or 3 years. Or 4 years. Or 5 years. My school's computers are 6 years old or older. They are Macs running classic 9 and there is no wireless in the school. In fact...the classrooms only have one ethernet port...for the teacher's computer. Why? Because they have to take attendance online.

But the biggest problem is up beyond managment. Yes, the top down model of educational management is also obsolete and less than effective. But up beyond the administrators and superintendent is a Board of Education making decisions about how students are taught. These are usually amateurs. They are elected by the community and for most the only experience they have in education is as students. They've never taught a class. They've never taken any classes about teaching, curriculum or educational philosophy. They're housewives, salesmen, lawyers, whoever has free time and visions of a political career. They serve a few years on the school board, then move on to City Council, State Assembly and then maybe Congress. Boards of Education are also an archaic throwback to a time when teachers were teenagers that had graduated from school and hadn't gone out into the real world to work, or married yet. They didn't know anything about budgets so the local business men had to make decisions. And up beyond them are politicians at the State and Federal level making laws without any background, education or expertise in education. In fact, they will intentionally ignore experts in the field if those experts are opposed to any aspect of what they plan to implement. Because popularity with voters is more important. An even larger group that knows nothing about educational practice.

It is such a huge, archaic, ineffective system in desperate need of restructuring. NCLB is designed to kill public education, not fix it.

Think of it this way. If you have a system that is failing, if you make that system more efficient you only have a more efficient failure. You have to change the system.

Teachers are working harder than ever, in many cases for less than they've ever had. I have fund raisers to buy books for the library because my budget is 0, and it's going to be 0 next year too. But no matter how well teachers do...there is no way to meet NCLB standards because they are quite simply impractical.

Example. Special Education students will NEVER be at grade level. If they were at grade level they wouldn't be in Special Education. They are put in Special Education because they cannot work at grade level for many different reasons. And there is nothing a teacher can do about many of those reasons. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that there will be 20% fewer students with dyslexia every year? That's like making a law that every year there must be an increase in blue-eyed Americans until 80% of the population has blue eyes.

Put simply....it's stupid.

Most teachers would agree that education needs restructuring, improving, adjusting, whatever.

But...NCLB isn't the solution. Neither is standardized testing.

Our current educational system is based on a way of life that no longer exists. Our students do not need July and August off so they can help the family with the harvest. Neither do our graduates go on to work on assembly lines. Public schools were designed to provide just enough education for a worker to work sucessfully on an aseembly line or in a factory. Schools are no longer teaching what a 21st century graduate needs. But the system hasn't changed with the need. And the WAY information is taught is extremely outdated. Standardized testing and NCLB does nothing to address the problems.

Sure plenty of educational professionals can't agree exactly what can be done. But I'll tell you what's not going to happen.

Class sizes. Teaching the same thing to every child in a classroom of 35 is cheap. It's efficient. And it's ineffective. But it's not going to change because the taxpayer isn't going to pay to cut classes in half. It was good enough to provide workers for Henry Ford....it's not good enough for Bill Gates.

Instructional methods. Currently teachers spew out information in a lecture style format, students then regurgitate it back on a test. Sometimes if you're lucky some learning takes place in between. It has very little to do with the real world. When you work in an office, you look up things, you talk with co-workers. No one has to memorize formulas and equations, they have to know how to use them. If you don't you ask someone who does. That's how the real world works. We live in an "on demand" world. We can't afford the luxury of a "just in case" education.

I know of no job that requires you to bubble in circles on a form all day. I'm sure if Lil' Abner were still in the comics, he'd be bubbling in bubbles instead of being a mattress tester. So a great deal of class time is being wasted on a skill that has no practical application.

But again....neither the government nor taxpayers are going to pay what it takes to change schools from lecture/vomit to guide and explore. You'd need more teachers, more buildings and much lower class sizes. You need different schedules, different materials and resources. Teachers would need more freedom to meet the individual needs of each students rather than one size fits all. Again....lower class sizes. You'd also need to keep current with technology like businesses do. No school can afford to replace their computers every 18 months as they do in the private sector. Or even every 2 years. Or 3 years. Or 4 years. Or 5 years. My school's computers are 6 years old or older. They are Macs running classic 9 and there is no wireless in the school. In fact...the classrooms only have one ethernet port...for the teacher's computer. Why? Because they have to take attendance online.

But the biggest problem is up beyond managment. Yes, the top down model of educational management is also obsolete and less than effective. But up beyond the administrators and superintendent is a Board of Education making decisions about how students are taught. These are usually amateurs. They are elected by the community and for most the only experience they have in education is as students. They've never taught a class. They've never taken any classes about teaching, curriculum or educational philosophy. They're housewives, salesmen, lawyers, whoever has free time and visions of a political career. They serve a few years on the school board, then move on to City Council, State Assembly and then maybe Congress. Boards of Education are also an archaic throwback to a time when teachers were teenagers that had graduated from school and hadn't gone out into the real world to work, or married yet. They didn't know anything about budgets so the local business men had to make decisions. And up beyond them are politicians at the State and Federal level making laws without any background, education or expertise in education. In fact, they will intentionally ignore experts in the field if those experts are opposed to any aspect of what they plan to implement. Because popularity with voters is more important. An even larger group that knows nothing about educational practice.

It is such a huge, archaic, ineffective system in desperate need of restructuring. NCLB is designed to kill public education, not fix it.

Think of it this way. If you have a system that is failing, if you make that system more efficient you only have a more efficient failure. You have to change the system.

Teachers are working harder than ever, in many cases for less than they've ever had. I have fund raisers to buy books for the library because my budget is 0, and it's going to be 0 next year too. But no matter how well teachers do...there is no way to meet NCLB standards because they are quite simply impractical.

Example. Special Education students will NEVER be at grade level. If they were at grade level they wouldn't be in Special Education. They are put in Special Education because they cannot work at grade level for many different reasons. And there is nothing a teacher can do about many of those reasons. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that there will be 20% fewer students with dyslexia every year? That's like making a law that every year there must be an increase in blue-eyed Americans until 80% of the population has blue eyes.

Put simply....it's stupid.

8. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 20 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]242825[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate your open-mindedness. I know my position is not a popular one among many fellow teachers.

As a student in the late 50's, then later a teacher in the 60's, in New York, we had Statewide tests (which we called "Regents", named after the State Board of Regents) in most "core" subjects: English, math, history and science. In those days N.Y and CA vied for the reputation of having the best educational systems in the U.S. I don't know how good N.Y. schools are now, as I haven't lived there for 35 years. The CA system has sunk to a much lower level than it once enjoyed.

So as a teacher I started out "teaching to the test". We all had to. But, even though a minority of teachers griped about, as you say, having their freedom/creativity squelched, most recognized we were part of well-developed, high-achieving system. We found ways to squeeze in some creative things we wanted to try/use and satisfy State requirements, too.

I was lucky to have my first teaching job in an upper-middle class suburban school, the kind that No Child Left Behind was not designed for. Most of our kids would have done well on the tests without our doing anything different.

NCLB was implemented largely to deal with the high dropout rates and/or low achievement levels of large urban districts heavily impacted by minorities and/or kids from low-income families. (If saying that qualifies me as racist, so be it.) Like Godiva, I don't believe it's "THE solution". There is no silver-bullet solution to the pervasive attitude problems (on the parts of both students and parents) which plague our urban schools. But, in the absence of anything better, sooner or later a "floor" of learning HAD TO BE established for low-achieving schools. In my opinion, it's at least 40 years too late.

Somehow the burden must be at least partially lifted from our local community colleges to "compensate", usually through "remedial classes", for all the basic skills/knowledge lacking in the students they're (usually) forced to accept, kids who sailed/scraped through school by virtue of "social promotion". CA's four-year universities have to deal with the same problems, only to a slightly lesser extent.

Godiva has raised so many issues that I'm going to try a more comprehensive "education thread" and see who's interested.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought it was "No Child with a Big Behind" program. :huh:

10. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Ghostofjk,

I can't believe you thought I was serious when I said I didn't think the Bush administration did this on purpose. I'm taking 10 points for not reading the whole post. It should be obvious from reading the full post what my true feelings were. Not that I would ever believe that gentlemen like Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et. al. would ever lie to the American public :rolleyes:

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 20 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]242924[/snapback]</div>
    My best friend is a public HS teacher, I've heard many of these very issues discussed time and time again. I summed it up this way:

No one gives a crap about public education as there is no immediate money to be made off it.