1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My in laws just came down with the flu. I said, “how do you know?”:whistle:

And they both had the flu shot

#221 bisco, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2020
  2. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The VA offers the flu shot every year. The year their shot triggered a 2 week respiratory nightmare I stopped getting them. That was about 15 years ago.

bisco likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    WHO sitreps here:

Situation reports

Newest #24 describes category change. Briefly, confirmed now includes folks with particular features on lung xray and particular travel history. Not only positive DNA tests.

If readers find another source providing additional detail on this shift, please post.

I must say that redefinitions do not explain large daily fatality increase.
    ==
    Concerning thread title, adding COVID-19 is perfectly appropriate. We all participate at the pleasure of PriusChat moderators.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reported the other post mentioning it and asked for a change. I guess they are all either asleep or sick. :eek:

@Tideland Prius are you OK??

5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cough, cough, cough

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do I understand correctly that SARS-CoV-2 is the official assigned name for the virus, and that COVID-19 (for coronavirus disease 2019) names the disease in humans caused by that virus?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    52,000 cases and 1,370 deaths

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did not find that section.

My interests are:
    • latency - time between exposure and initial symptoms
    • clinical assays (I did see use of the SARs to confirm but not rule out COVID-19
    • typical duration of fever, cough, other symptoms
    • when (if) a recovered patient is no longer a source for new cases
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Latest high quality study on this topic:

Effect of Vitamin C, Hydrocortisone, and Thiamine vs Hydrocortisone Alone on Time Alive and Free of Vasopressor Support Among Patients With Septic ShockThe VITAMINS Randomized Clinical Trial

The VITAMINS Randomized Clinical Trial

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2759414

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    come on, you don't believe in scientific studies, do you? big pharma will never give us the truth

12. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As a younger man I tried a detox that included a superdose of Vitamin C. Made my stomach feel like it was burning.

13. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vitamin C powder and IV get filtered out of your bloodstream in an hour. Liposomal vitamin C achieves high blood concentrations around 8x longer. It's more effective than IV for fighting cancer. Also has very subdued acid taste compared with powder (tastes similar to dilute tomato juice).

Make it at home: http://www.qualityliposomalc.com

Pixel XL ?

#233 mjoo, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    George W likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There just trying to pump up the stock price

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    From WHO sitrep 24

"Overnight 14,840 cases, including 13,332 clinically diagnosed cases were reported from Hubei. This is the first time China has reported clinically diagnosed cases in addition to laboratory-confirmed cases. For consistency, we report here only the number of laboratory-confirmed cases. WHO has formally requested additional information on the clinically diagnosed cases, in particular when these have occurred in the course of the outbreak and whether suspect cases were reclassified as clinically diagnosed cases."

I added the emphasis. Other sources defined "clinically diagnosed" as xray plus travel history. Other sources defined "laboratory-confirmed" as presence of genetic sequence(s) peculiar to this virus. I could track down what those were, but I have no doubt in accuracy of either definition.

Please note that this refers to definitions of these categories. I know of no other site than
    https://ncov.dxy.cn
    that is updating "clinically diagnosed" in China. My concern there is that updates are irregular through time (more than once per day) and I do not have a strict schedule for obtaining numbers on that page.

Please also note that I have no way to independently verify any numbers in sitreps or ncov. I use them to inform models not all of which I have yet presented here.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Vaccine @236. This candidate is a DNA vaccine and I will say some things about that. If there are errors, I or someone else could help with cleanup,

Corona viruses have RNA. This one was sequenced in early January and made public. It is (nowadays) trivial to made its DNA version. ACGU -> TGCA, with much complexity and detail omitted. Some chunk of that DNA is selected for future use.

The short unique DNA sequence is not a vaccine. It is first vectored into some friendly bacteria's plasmid with some friendly virus. This is now standard toolbox (believe it or not, and it very much was not when I studied these things in school). That transformed bacteria is the vaccine.

Vaccine enters Bob Wilson's arm (he said he'd volunteer). Now a benign bacterial infection grows in Petri-Bob. That bacteria has in addition to its normal 'load', an otherwise useless DNA sequence that was added as above.

Next part is not quite clear to me, but that DNA is transcribed into RNA which to some extent leaks out of bacteria. Various immune cells in Bob (B-cells and T-cells it seems) create antibodies against that RNA sequence.

Later, if Bob forgets to wear his facemask or wash his hands, maybe this corona virus arrives. Bob's new antibodies against that RNA sequence enter the fight, and super-Bob does not become a statistic.

==
    One can appreciate that several steps lie between existence of that altered bacteria, to immunological protection, without unintended side effects. I suppose mice and some other primate will be Petri dishes before any such vaccine has human trials. Company mentioned @236 and several others will carry out those steps (at some expense) before they have a product to sell.

At least one of the SARS corona virus vaccine candidates worked like that. Completion of their testing was ended when SARS stopped transmitting between humans in the wild.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two Georgetown profs told Judy woodruff that the reclassification of cases was done to employ a clean starting point for the mayor who is replacing the two Hubei officials that xi nixed

20. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Virus reimagined Then obscured, then erased. Nothing to see here.