1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

www.greenermachine.com Help required

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Greenermachine.com, May 9, 2007.

1. Greenermachine.com

Greenermachine.com New Member

I'm looking to write an article for www.greenermachine.com on the merits and failings (if there are any) on the Prius and would appreciate your feed back on a number of points. Coincidentally I'm looking to buy a Prius so your feedback is of particular interest to me.

I'm interested in the following -

- What kind of MPG v's manufacturers claims are you getting?
    - How many miles do you drive your Prius a year?
    - Are you happy with the car?
    - What specific feature or quality of the car led you to buy one? In the UK the London congestion charge probably accounts for many sales alone so in a way the Prius is a form of tax avoidence, but there must be more to it than this?
    - How does having a Prius on your drive make you feel?

Thanks in advance

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenermachine.com @ May 9 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]438198[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at Greenhybrid.com....they have over 1000 people who keep a log of their real-world mpg. That will give you some perspective of the r ange and averages. I, personally, have a lifetime near 54mpg, current tank 71mpg, and for the past year rarely get below 55mpg and usually around 60mpg. But that's b/c I work hard for high mpg.
    ~15k
    ecstatic
    I wanted a car that burned less gas, created less pollution, and felt compelled by the technology. The features such as SKS, NAV, etc. were nice bonuses, but I'd decided to buy a Prius before the Prius II was announced.
    ? Are you actually Oprah Winfrey? I like to drive my Prius....I'm glad I burn less gas and that I'm doing my little part with no sacrifices of convenience, comfort, etc....but I can't really say "how it makes me feel".

3. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I've got a 2002 Toyota Prius and I love it! Here's my answers:
    I'm getting better than EPA mileage: 41 mpg first tank, 44 mpg second tank, 54 mpg third tank.
    I've only had it a month, but based on the first month I'm estimating we'll probably hit close to 12,000 miles in a year.
    Very.
    I bought it for the fuel efficiency. The salex tax exemption was a nice little bonus.
    It makes me feel good that I'm driving a car that burns less petroluem than the full-size Dodge Intrepid I traded for it. It's great to have a car that truly is on the cutting edge of technology (even if it is almost 6 years old :lol:) and I'm planning on getting another one - when we can afford it.

4. chogan

chogan New Member

About 48 mpg lifetime, mostly in short urban trips. That was also the median at greenhybrid.com last time I looked. That's about the new EPA number as well.

About 12,000, almost entirely urban (suburban) driving.

Very.

- What specific feature or quality of the car led you to buy one? In the UK the London congestion charge probably accounts for many sales alone so in a way the Prius is a form of tax avoidence, but there must be more to it than this?
    In this order:
    Environmentally responsible. It reduced my consumption of gasoline.
    Inexpensive. I calculated total cost of ownership for 10 years, for the Prius and several other cars I was considering, and, given that almost all my (wife's) travel is urban (where the Prius' mileage advantage is greatest), the savings on gas made the Prius substantially cheaper than the alternatives. So it was a no-brainer for me -- less pollution and cheaper.
    Different. In terms of everyday driving, as far as I'm concerned, every other automatic transmission car drives just about the same. They are all good. Camry, Taurus, what have you -- six of one, half a dozen of the other. The Prius is different from anything else you can drive. It's an interesting car to drive, just tootling around town. And it requires a little brains and skill to get the most out of it, which also distinguishes it from the pack. You can drive it "point-n-shoot" like any other automatic, or you can think about it a bit, react to the changes in terrain, and get better mileage. I find that the mindset from bicycling carries over well to a Prius - you pay attention to uphill and downhill. Whereas in any other automatic transmission car you have no reason to pay attention to and react to the terrain.

I don't get emotional about cars. It's an appliance. Closest I can come is to say that I feel good that I bought it over the alternatives. It was a good, smart purchase, with both utility and some entertainment value.
    You should pursue the question of how it makes you feel as you drive it. A lot of people here report the phenomenon that my wife and I call "Prius Therapy". Between the CVT and EV mode, and the urge to maximize MPG, it's a very relaxing car to drive. Chill out, watch the scenery go by, have a nice day, you'll get there in all good time. Not that I was ever an aggressive or nervous driver, but for me (and many others) driving the car seems to have a calming effect.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hello, if you are looking for more answers from the UK or Euro, may I mention that there are a couple of Yahoo! groups specific to those areas. You might wish to join there.

There also, you will meet the personable Jerry Whitmarsh, my Prius-pal in your neighborhood.

But in reply, my Prius is 2001 and now with 105k miles. Purchased initially more for low pollution, secondarily for fuel economy. Back then we had real concerns about long-term function, but those have since faded. Faded from the minds of the 'indoctrinated' owners I mean. The Media still manages to find fault, sometimes quite imaginatively.

It *is* different to drive, and it *does* change the way that most of us drive, and think about wise resource use.

More recently and to my delight, I have come to learn that it is quite a simple car to maintain despite all the computers and such. They just do to their business, and I change the fluids as needed.

The overall operating expenses could only be bettered by driving certain reliable small cars purchased used, and getting lucky that their transmissions etc. do not fall out. This was not widely anticipated, either.

It is a jarring step back into the 20th century to drive conventional cars. You would be well-advised never to test drive one, lest you be captured as well.

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenermachine.com @ May 9 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]438198[/snapback]</div>
    Just thought I should point out to you, in the U.S., it's not the manufacturer's claims of mileage that get advertised, but the mileage resulting from testing done by the EPA. This resulted in some higher mileage for the Prius (which quite a number of drivers still meet or exceed). The mileage will officially change for all vehicles in the U.S. in 2008, as the EPA has begun testing vehicles under conditions more akin to everyday driving than the idealized scenarios of prior tests. You can see the differences in mileage by going to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml

We love our Prius, especially with gas over $3.50 a gallon in Chicago. I also like that we're not contributing as much to our poor air quality. I find myself driving differently to get better mileage, and generally feel less agressive and full of needless hurry. Of course the good sound system helps too (and ok, audiofiles, I know the 6-speaker JBL may not be all that great to you, but we'd never had anything close to a high-end stereo in a car before, and the Prius, also running with less engine noise, makes it possible for us to listen to music that requires a bit of quiet, be it classical or Radiohead, and actually hear the soft spots).

7. Greenermachine.com

Greenermachine.com New Member

Thanks fro all your help and advice about the Prius - It's clear you guys love your Toyota. It helped us realise some of the anti-prius things we are reading these days are unfair.

Here's the article....
    http://www.greenermachine.com/index.php?pO...&pPostId=49

Or some of it here...

Prius. For many the word has become shorthand for 'I care about our planet and I'm doing something about it', whilst for others 'I'm damned if I'm going to pay the congestion charge!' is probably closer to the truth....

Either way, when Toyota launched the thing it also introduced the buzzword Hybrid to the motoring masses and then patiently waited for the word to spread and the world to catch up. And how. Toyota recently built its millionth Prius and this most conservative of manufacturers expects sales to continue to rise at an exponential rate - something almost unheard of in the auto industry. Competitors race to produce rivalling products but in a war of hearts and minds Toyota got there first forever rendering the other as also-rans.

For years various promises of alternative fuels and emission-reducing technologies have been bubbling in product development centres around the world but for every potential climate saving breakthrough there have always been smothering effects of rival breakthroughs (which to go for?) and the monopolising status-quo of cheap oil. Toyota saw gathering of legislators and concerned individuals alike and decided to do something. Anything.

For all the praise heaped on the Prius there has been critisism too. Hybrids require 2 engines (one conventional one electric) and weighty battery packs; additional weight that purists argue reduces ultimate efficiency. Doubts have been raised by some as to Toyota's claimed mpg figures, and one claim had it that the Prius was no more or less efficient than an SUV in certain circumstances. For every apparently good idea there are invariably wails of derision, predictably from those who didn’t come up with it first or by those scared by it. Vested interests? Conspiracy theories? Who cares. Some of those claims probably even stand up to scrutiny, there are probably better earth saving technologies than hybrids, there are probably better fuels and better engineering solutions than the Prius. We don’t know. But we do know what matters to individuals who feel compelled to make a positive ecological change to their lives is doing something because doing nothing doesn't seem enough.

In the midst of a hugely complex issue Toyota presented the world with a car that promised to make things better and to most people living a normal life doing normal things who need a sugar coated solution that's more than enough. It has never seemed to matter that the Prius's have never been beautiful of fast, had thrilling handing, nifty folding seats, a myriad cupholders or any of the other usual Unique Selling Propositions so relied upon by the rank and file auto industry, yet coldly appraised as a static object the Prius is average at best. Dull is blended with drizzle of Quirk with not a drop of sex appeal anywhere to be seen. Is this a Bad Thing or not? Well, a million people clearly think not.

It's a discussion best left to Toyota and they clearly have their own opinion as a recent show car s indicates. Although firmly denied as the next Prius auto manufactures use of concept cars as a means of testing public reaction is well known and the generally positive response to this will have been heard it Toyota's HQ. We’ll have to wait and see.

For us at GreenerMachine we salute the Toyota for building the Prius because in doing so they illustrated the need and desire for cars that damage this planet less. Whether the Prius is The Answer remains to be seen, probably it is not, but the effect it has had on the worlds other auto manufacturers has been profound as they race to market newer cleaner rival products to the benefit of us all. General Motors is promising electric cars, new green vehicle manufacturers are cropping up with convincing new products whilst hydrogen and ethanol quaffing cars are available for money at your local dealer right now.

As for the old Prius? Well, there's bound to be a new one along anytime soon and recent show cars indicate Toyota is also unhappy with the current cars average looks. Rumours circulate too that Toyota may launch a new stand alone brand under which they will sell a whole range of hybrids. As for the growing crtisisms of the Prius's eco piousness? Well the new battery technology being employed by Zap, Tesla and others could be just the thing to get the critics off Toyota's back for a while as test vehicles are already delivering over 120mpg.

Looks like Prius is here to stay then.

Thanks again,
    www.greenermachine.com

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I get 45-52 mpg depending on time of year and how aggressively I'm driving.

7,000-10,000

Yes. Very. So much so that I will buy another one in the next few years.

- What specific feature or quality of the car led you to buy one?

MPG. Low emissions. Styling. Comfort (you can't beat the "transmission".) Seats five and still room for cargo. And the Hatchback. I will never buy another car that doesn't have a hatchback. If the Prius is ever redesigned without the hatchback, I'll keep my current one...forever. I have HOV stickers that are good until 2011 so probably won't replace current one until then.

I am much more relaxed. And I enjoy driving more. Before it was a chore; something I had to do. Now I don't dread having to get in the car and drive like I used to. And when traffic is congested instead of being impatient....I just think about what great mileage I'm going to get.

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No sex appeal?
    Never heard of the geek factor, huh?
    My Rudy is VERY sexy... :D