1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WWYD? 200k miles, needs $5k repairs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AJP, Sep 30, 2024 at 10:56 AM.

1. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2007 Prius, I've been the owner since 2012. Have put a lot of normal investments into it over the years: brakes, spark plugs, HID bulbs, etc. I put in a new hybrid battery two years ago. Just got the report back from my annual inspection with the following:

Replace HID bulb (these damn things seem to fail ever 2 years): $250
    Cabin air filter: $62
    Engine air filter: $68
    INEM: $82 (not sure what this is)
    Replace water pump: $560
    Replace engine transmission mount: $3,000

The gaskets are also leaking oil but maybe that's the INEM.

My mechanic says that for $5,000, he personally wouldn't sink any more money into the car. I was hoping to take it to 300k miles and have been working really hard on cosmetic restorations, but am wondering if I should just let it go. The water pump will last 2-3 months and maybe a year for the engine mounts. Don't have a job and no funds to buy a new car...would have to go into savings (all of $20k) to afford a secondhand one.

Thoughts?

2. saneesh8

saneesh8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    $560 for water pump ? at a local place? This looks like more than dealer price.

I just did that along with thermostat. Total was $120($54 for water pump with gasket, $22 for thermostat and $20X2 for coolant) including coolant replacement. All parts from local Toyota store.

Mounts, last time i checked with Toyota about a month back, it was as below (might have changed now). Since mine is still ok, i didn't replaced them.
    Center Rod - Toyota (12363-21030) - $77.23
    Insulator - Toyota (12305-21190) - $191.74
    Trans Mount - Toyota (12306-21030) - $108.99

If you are handy, not difficult to replace. All of them. Or find another local shop.

3. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is local, and honest, which makes me sad if their prices are inflated. I can look around and get quotes from other places, although it's scary to go with someone you have never worked with. I am the least handy person on earth, sadly.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Most of that crap the amaco monkey can drop in on a weekend with basic and I mean very basic hand tools I thought I was reading about a generation 3 at first a water pump for this model is like what goes on an old Corolla about five nuts and little bolts and it's in your hand thrown in the trash in the new ones on surprisingly you can get a water pump from manufacturers for this model the one NZ for old $30 on up I would try one of the 45 $50 ones that's like what goes on my Corolla of yore an older model. And that's that The rest of the stuff is all easy silly almost makes me feel foolish that I would even think the pay somebody to do it

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alla h8d to LED last bulbs you will use . The two filters are 30 combined 8 minutes to drop in Even a computer desk jock he can do it

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you lived near me here's what I'd charge at a rate of $50 an hour:

-- Pair of HID bulbs or ballasts online is $45 and 1/2 hour to install

-- Highest quality air filter online $12 and 2 minutes to install

-- Never heard of an INEM before

-- Why does the water pump need to be replaced? I doubt it does...

-- Bad mechanics replace engine mounts because it used to be a failure point in big high mileage V8 engines, but rarely in small economy car engines. However lazy mechanics would rather overcharge to "solve" a rattling engine by doing a mount replacement rather than a proper engine diagnosis.

As I always say, if you have a friend or family member who has basic experience working on cars, us folks at PriusChat can walk them through most any repair.

But if you don't have that and are easy pickings for the scam that is the auto repair business these days, it's time to move on and get a newer car that's not going to make you so vulnerable to getting ripped off.

saneesh8 likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a replace engine price.

I would be sad unless this is a high priced NYC or San Francisco Toyota dealer.

A water pump that will last 3 months is good. Engine mounts that will last a year are good. Both could last five more years or as long as you own the car.

1. What are the symptoms that make you think something is wrong?

2. Where in the USA are you located. Hiding your location makes it difficult to recommend shops.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would just keep driving it until it brakes

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's sad that this is the norm for getting work done at a shop, but it is.

Replace HID bulb (these damn things seem to fail ever 2 years): $250
    A set of these can be purchased online from Onyx performance lighting for <$80. The set I bought from them 6-7 years ago is still going strong. There're good threads in the forum about low quality bulbs to avoid

Cabin air filter: $62 Available at Walmart for <$20 and takes all of 2 min to swap out, including any time to brush away any buildup in the housing.

Engine air filter: $68 Also available at Walmart for <$15 and takes all of 2 minutes to replace. For that price, while they're in that area, they should clean the throttle body and MAF, but they'd probably charge another $200 for that 15 minutes of work.

INEM: $82 (not sure what this is) I'm curious about this also. Maybe it's something like shop supplies, they love tacking on extra fees for that. $82 is a lot of rags and paper towels and environmental fees.

Replace water pump: $560 Nice margin on this job. A gen 2 engine water pump from Toyota (not some third party POS) is only $54 online.

Replace engine transmission mount: $3,000 Very curious about this one. Is this for a complete engine replacement? If so, why even quote a water pump? And if it is for just mounts, I have an air freshener that hangs from the mirror that's available for only $999. That's about the same kind of deal you're getting.

#9 TMR-JWAP, Sep 30, 2024 at 2:43 PM
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 3:45 PM
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    INtake Engine Manifold?

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would love to see a photo of the estimate/quote paperwork.

12. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Symptoms: whining when turning on headlights. Also increased internal vibration noise / revving-noisy engine upon acceleration.

13. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last comment wasn't really warranted, but I appreciate the info above. I'll post a copy of the diagnoses and price quote below, where it list INEM. I don't know why a water pump needs to be replaced--why do they?

They said the front bumper has to come off to replace the headlights. Which is what they did twice over the past two years ($250 each time, once for the left and once for the right).

14. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, this is truly helpful. No, it is not an engine rebuild, although they said to fix the leaky oil gaskets that's what would be required for $5-6k. I'm including a copy of the diagnoses and quote below if it helps.

15. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's because they don't know how to do it right and that's why you're paying them $250 a pop to take the front bumper off it doesn't come off It just slides forward with a few clips off at best so they are taking advantage of you and this is how or one way you know it. Camper gave you the rundown that's the same rundown I would give you You're just too far away to get it done by us or whatever You should be able to find one of us in your area somewhere or you pay or you get a newer car But if you can't make a generation two last 600k well you're not going to do it with anything pretty much and anything after 2010 slice that mileage in half so if you're good you might make 300k maybe but maybe none of this matters maybe it's just better to get a newer car and you know people won't look at you funny and all of that stuff be just like everybody else I guess

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Whining when turning on headlights? Hardly a serious problem. Either the HID ballast is bad or more likely someone has retrofitted aftermarket LEDs. Noisy engine? Fairly typical on a Prius on hard acceleration. Nothing your dealer (?) is repairing based on your quote.

Seems like we are in a sad state of affairs when it’s necessary to keep your city secret. How far are you from State College?

A reseal of the timing chain cover would be $1000 or more and is largely unnecessary.

18. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    extremely close. I had someone impersonate me on social media last year (revenge account) and got spooked about putting any personal info out there. Feel free to DM me too, if you know someone in that area.

19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Go to Pine Hollow Diagnostics in State College. Wait for an opening if necessary. Forget your shop.

Brian1954 likes this.
  20. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll contact them today.

Brian1954 likes this.