1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

X goes offline in Brazil

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 31, 2024 at 3:41 PM.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: X goes offline in Brazil after Elon Musk’s refusal to comply with local laws | X | The Guardian

One of the world’s most popular social networks, X, has gone offline in Brazil – the country with the fifth largest digital population – after Elon Musk’s refusal to comply with local laws meant it was blocked by the supreme court.

Millions of Brazilian X users found themselves unable to access the network on Saturday morning as internet providers and mobile phone companies began to enforce the ban.

When the Guardian tried to access the network on its computer and mobile phone, it received a message reading: “Seems like you lost connectivity. We’ll keep retrying.”

Large numbers of Brazilians sought shelter on the rival network, Bluesky, which reported that it had gained 500,000 users in the past two days. “Welcome to Bluesky!” the company posted to its new adherents in Portuguese.

Works for me. In part because I still see no value in X. Yesterday, I took another peek and though the previous jerks were still blocked, the content was thin. For example, a poll of the percentage of Democrats, Republicans, and Independents on X . . . the ranking:
    • Republicans - largest percentage
    • Democrats - about half the percentage of Republicans
    • Independents - just under the percentage of Democrats
    So when Trumps private twitter goes out of business, Twitter/X and be their new home.

Bob Wilson

srellim234 likes this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The 100% ‘say whatever you want’ is not a responsible media business model.
    Refusing to submit information requested by a court is a worse one.

Can you still purchase a ‘verified’ user flag?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At this point, the value in Twitter, similar to Telegram, is in defining how governments are going to deal with social media that doesn't limit abusive users / worst offenders. It's really not that hard. Either you ban trouble makers or governments will ban your product.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That combined with advertisers not wanting their product sandwiched between offensive "free speech." Here is an example:
    upload_2024-8-31_19-20-25.png

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Aug 31, 2024 at 8:08 PM
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2024 at 8:20 PM