1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM adding commercials on April 17

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Apr 8, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, XM is adding commercials to some of their most popular stations (like my favorite, XM22). It's a deal with Clear Channel, that owns the majority of FM stations in this country.

On a positive note, they are adding a few more stations that are commercial free, but will they be as good? It may be time to switch to Sirius.

Nate

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so now you have to pay to listen to commercials?

wow am i glad we didn't get into that. i'd switch too if i were you.

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While this isn't good news, it isn't the end of commerical free satellite radio either. XM had no choice in this matter, they didn't really "make a deal", Clear Channel took them to an arbitrator. I'm guessing that when XM's contract to run these stations is over they won't renew this deal.

As you said Sirius remains commerical free and their CEO just stated that the music channels will NEVER have comericals on them. The talk/sports channels and the subscriptions will provide more than enough revenue. I subscribe to both and while I never listened to the stations that are "going commerical" I'm going to call XM and have them block those channels from my receivers just as a small protest...

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This new category will also include Clear Channel programmed music channels Nashville - XM 11, Kiss - XM 21, Mix - XM 22, Sunny - XM 24, plus WSIX - XM 161 (launching soon) with acclaimed country personality Gerry House live from Nashville. Please note that Clear Channel will start carrying commercials on these music channels in May, so they have been grouped separately from XM's 69 commercial-free music channels on our new channel guide.

http://xmradio.com/lineup/

I take it too that XM really wants to seperate themselves from the Clear Channel channels...they, to my knowledge, never really acknowledged that some channels were from Clear Channel, and now they're going to lengths to point them out, put them in their own group, etc.

Fortunately none of those are channels I listen to.

Nate, listen to the new "Big Tracks" on channel 49 if you like the Mix--not much modern stuff but most of the pop rock --sorta combines the 70s-90s channels.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, that stinks! :angry: Of the channels listed, I only regularly listen to XM21 and 22...good thing the husband got me on his account and my XM subscription only costs ~$6/month. Otherwise I'd complain to them about it. At least it's easy enough to switch the channel using the steering wheel buttons if I land on a station during commercial time.

6. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

XM is going to add some new channels to go against the Clear Channel channels that are getting commericals. Not sure if they match up exactly but take a look at the list.

XM Fan

Ken