1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM and iPod kit mutually exclusive: No solution... yet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Philosophe, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2010 Prius with JBL (w/o nav) and added an iPod kit, which didn't work as installed: the iPod was showing that it was ready to be disconnected and there was no way to see the iPod through the radio.

I returned the car to the dealer this past week to get this fixed and after hours of fiddling with it and trying a second iPod kit, the dealer told me they finally learned that the iPod kit was correctly installed (physically) but that it would only work when the free XM subscription is cancelled. They tried to do it but were told by XM Canada that they needed the owner to call.

So today I did call XM Canada and was told that they were not able to see my radio ID in their system and that I would have to wait at the end of the trial period to call back so they can see it.

So here I am with a XM trial I did not want and a non-functional iPod kit I paid CAN$370... waiting for the subscription to end...

I think Toyota dealers should be made aware of this limitation as they sell iPod kits...

Does anyone have any similar experience/solution to this?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. pinky

pinky New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told that it didn't matter if you had a subscription or not. Non-nav = no iPod. At least from Toyota. So far...

I've tried to get bluetooth streaming to work but can't get it to. I tried a Belkin stalk thingie that has an audio cable to the Aux In and it didn't work well, it developed a short in the base of the stalk where the audio cable plugs in.

Such a nice futuristic car and no iPod hookup. What a disappointment.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same situation & problem, namely iPod & satellite radio playing simulataneously. I had the adaptor installed about a week ago but haven't had a chance to go back to the dealer. I've got an appt this Wednesday, and I'll be curious as to how they fix the problem IF the solution is to cancel the sat radio account.

I've installed an iPod adaptor in my Chrysler minivan using the Chrysler hardware (which allows one to keep the CD changer). There, the iPod appears as a sat radio channel like the Toyota unit. That system requires an external box for sat radio, which I never purchased.

I'll report on what the dealer tells me Wednesday night.

5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed an Ipod plug in a different car using the XM input, In it it works as long as you tune the channel that displays the radio ID as there is no sound on that channel. ANy othr channel and you get the Ipod and XM together. Is that your problem?

6. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope... The radio simply doesn't see the iPod. There is no way to access it or make it play...

I'll have to call the dealer back before the end of the XM trial period... this seems too strange...:confused:

7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Radio ID is on channel 000, and the radio is silent . . . until I plug in an iPod, then it searches for a radio channel and plays that along with the iPod. There's also no display of the iPod parameters as I expected.

I'll see what the dealership says Wednesday.

8. eric0531

eric0531 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anybody gotten the iPod Interface (Toyota Part #PT545-00082) working on a Gen III non-Nav system? My wife surprised me with one of these as a gift last week and I want to make sure things go as smoothly with the install as possible.