1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Antenna - require metal plate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GaryGarland, Jun 8, 2009.

1. GaryGarland

GaryGarland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - I've read some posts and I'm unsure if the XM Antenna requires mounting on metal (like a metal plate) - I would like to mount it on the dashboard inside if I can - preliminary tests showed good reception - if it is a problem i'll then go through the whole outside mounting thing.
    question - if i mount inside, is double sided tape good enough, or do i need to get a small metal plate, glue/tape that to dash, and then let the magnet hold the antenna to that plate?
    many thanks for any suggestions!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't think it needs to be if you dont want to use the magnet. And even if you use the magnet, then the magnet needs to be fastened down...

I had mine mounted on the roof, but before selling it I removed everything and as a temporary install to use it for a month I used the antenna off the boom box made for sirius plug and play units... I just stuck it at the bottom of the windshield and where the vents are for the front window defogger and it worked no problems...