1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM antenna under sharkfin.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jmpenn, May 29, 2006.

1. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

I am thinking about installing the XM radio from Toyota. I think where they officially install the antenna is awfull. On a ground plate in the corner of the dash?!? *shudder*

I know some people have installed the xm antenna under the sharkfin antenna. That's the way I want to go. My question is, once you get the wire through the roof where did you route the wire from there? The wire is going to have to go to under the rear passenger seat. I know I don't want the wire to interfere with the side curtain airbags. Those air bags run the entire length of the headliner. Going anywhere near them is not my idea of a smart move. The antenna wire looks like it heads towards the right front pillar, so wrong direction there.

Any ideas?

2. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ May 29 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]262449[/snapback]</div>
    Where is the Toyota XM receiver? I have the factory interactive and the receiver is in the back, so the wire runs under the roof liner towrd passenger side rear, then down under moulding along the rear hatch.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should take a look at this post to see how they did it.

4. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 29 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]262506[/snapback]</div>
    I did read that thread. All 10 pages of it. :blink: No mention of which way the wire was routed after it came through the roof of the vehicle.

Thanks. I looked a while longer and that seems to be the way to go. Down toward the back near the 12V battery and then forward to rear passenger seat.

5. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ May 30 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]262741[/snapback]</div>
    If you find out how to do this please post up. I'll be trying this next month.

thanks

6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For those still wondering, I installed my XM receiver in the rear of the car inside of what would be the right rear panel, probably in the area just behind the rear wheel. I ran the wire from the inside of the roof right into the wheather seal chanel and then into the space where the trim panel covers the rear quarter panel, where the XM receiver is installed and then connected it up and used some cable ties to secure the wires so they do not rattle around. This is the location that the instructions suggested when I bought and installed the XM unit. It was quite simple actually. Good luck.