1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM for Prius that is not SAT ready?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jeanne500, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jeanne500

jeanne500 New Member

OK, when I bought my Prius I thought I didn't need all the bells and whistles so I got the basic, no frills package with no GPS, no JBL system no back-up camera etc. So now I would like to get XM radio. My radio doesn't seem to be SAT ready, nor do I have an AUX input in my center console to use a Roadie as suggested in a different thread. Am I SOL? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    jeanne

2. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeanne @ Sep 18 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]321238[/snapback]</div>
    You are far from SOL. Your options might be more limited, but you can still have integrated satellite radio. I sell the Toyota factory kit for $250.00 and that is all you need to make it work. The only thing that will be visible is the antenna. Obviously you would still have set up a subscription with XM, but I can even help with that. I can offer a promotion code that will waive activation and give the first 3 months of service free. It is a promotion that Toyota worked out with XM for their customers. That would save you $45.00. Let me know if you have any other questions.

3. glenhead

glenhead New Member

You can still use the Roady, too, you'll just need to pick an unused FM frequency to run the signal into. I used it for a few days before I got the cable to plug into the aux jack, and it worked fine. I've seen some people talk about a scratchy signal or something, but I had no issues with it. You can get a new Roady2 from eBay for less than $50 including shipping.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeanne @ Sep 18 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]321238[/snapback]</div>

I added an aux input to my '05 for an MP3 player, it could be used for a portable satellite system, but won't be integrated into the display etc. But it might be cheaper/less hassle/easier to take to another car etc.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a Roady, routed through the FM radio like glenhead first had. Like you, I have no AUX jack. I used the mounting hardware with adhesive backing, attaching the mount on the plastic below the CD player. The antenna is behind the factory antenna at the roof edge, with the antenna wire routed through the car in a less than "clean" but fully functional fashion.

I understand the sound quality is better in the integrated unit, which makes sense. With the Roady's signal being received via satellite, then re-transmitted and re-received by the car's FM radio, sound quality is bound to suffer. I hope eventually to buy an integrated unit like Metro and other vendors have, but I gotta pace myself with the mods! Don't forget that someone has to install it, either you if you're adventurous, or someone else if you want to pay them.

Jim

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Sep 18 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]321295[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I did too. I have the DICE, with my portable XM radio in the AUX input.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Sep 18 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]321284[/snapback]</div>
    That's probably because you live in Austin Texas. In the Philadelphia region, there are no unused frequencies. Every frequency has something that is picked up by the Prius radio, either bleed-over from another frequency or a low power or distant station. I even removed the antenna from the roof to no avail. If I found a frequency that seemed to be vacant, a signal would show up after driving a couple of miles away.

I ended up getting the XM receiver from www.metrotpn.com and have been very happy with it.

8. jeanne500

jeanne500 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am ordering the Toyota radio and kit from Metro instead of trying my luck with the Roady. I am excited but not looking forward to the install. Oh husband! He is such a sucker for that stuff.
    jeanne

9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeanne @ Sep 20 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]322344[/snapback]</div>
    There's a PDF on the Metro site that has the installation instructions. However, I think the dash disassembly instructions in it are a little weak. The following link is a real good PDF with very explicit instructions for taking apart the dash to get to the back of the radio. Use a combination of these instructions and the instructions from Metro.

Stereo Accessory Installation Guide