1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Frustrations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pkellner, Jan 4, 2007.

1. pkellner

pkellner New Member

So, I looked over the 56 page install manual and decided it might be best if I brought the car to the professionals. I called all my local dealers (I’m in San Jose) and found one that would do it for $550 (it shows $450 on the Toyota web site). I read several places about where the antenna goes and it seems that they all were tucked away in the back of the car. After leaving it with the service advisor, my only “special†instructions were NOT to install the antenna on the dash board because it is butt ugly there. So, guess where they installed it? On the dash board. The service manager showed me the install guide and it showed that is the only option. Can anyone shed some more lighton this for me? Can the factory XM radio use an external antenna out the back?

Also, I tried to activate the service and XM wants some kind of ID number. All it shows me is channel 1 Preview, 6 times. How do I get to the ID number?

Thanks,

Peter Kellner
    San Jose, CA

2. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkellner @ Jan 4 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]371084[/snapback]</div>
    I installed the XM myself, and ran the antenna wire up from the XM receiver and actually put the antenna inside of the spoiler (It's plastic so it doesn't interfere with reception).

You can get the ID number by tuning to channel 0...turn the tune knob to access that channel and it will display your radio's ID number on the screen.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkellner @ Jan 4 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]371084[/snapback]</div>
    Peter,
    I installed mine myself- not that difficult. I installed the antenna, (a micro XM antenna) on the roof by the rear wiper squirter and then covered it and the stock antenna post with a shark fin antenna which covers both nicely and provides a clean appearance IMHO. I too would not want it on the dash.