1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM integrated in MFD Attn: miwaku

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chett, Aug 9, 2006.

1. chett

chett New Member

Hi ya'll - miwaku stated on another thread that you can purchase XM radio that can be integrated into the MFD. Where could you purchase this and who would you recommend install it. I would rather have it in the MFD and not the small carry around. Sure miss it from my previous car -
    Thanks for any information.
    Chris

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know that Toyota dealers have started offering the XM radio installation/integration into the MFD. However, in April I purchased my XM kit online and had it installed by an audio/alarm guy nearby who specializes in Toyota installations. The kit was $250 and the installation was $200...I've seen some threads around here that folks are being quoted $550-600 for a Toyota dealer installation of the XM radio so I feel like I got a deal.

The only downside to my integrated XM is the character limitations on the screen: song names and band names are limited to 10 characters so sometimes it's tough to make out just who is singing that song you've never heard.

Here's where I purchased my kit:

MetroTPN They'll provide you with installation instructions, if you're brave enough to install it yourself. I opted not to, I didn't want to risk screwing anything up, and it gave me peace of mind to have someone who actually knew what they were doing take care of it for me.

Coastal ETech also sells them, but at the time I placed my order, they were having delivery issues/complaints from PC users so I opted to buy elsewhere.

Here's the Prius Accessories link straight from Toyota.com. It says to see the dealer for more details.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP seems to have an '06 Prius. I believe that although the old Solara XM would work, it would still have the 10 character display limit. The new XM for the Prius would have a 16 character display. Feeling too busy and lazy to search it out, but there should be info on the forum with the exact part number and such.

5. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luvmyprius06 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]300204[/snapback]</div>
    I have the VAIS Tech SLX in my Prius.
    http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum46.html

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 9 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]300252[/snapback]</div>
    I heard somewhere on PC that the dealer-installed XM radio for the 06's don't have the same character limitation. I have the 10-character limit on my '06...

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the new Toyota Dealer installed XM radio. It has a 16 character display and integrates with the MFD and steering wheel controls. Works great but would have prefered the antenna installation to be outside instead of on the dash. The XM radio works both in the Prius and the 2007 Camry requiring only a different installation kit.

8. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luvmyprius06 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]300204[/snapback]</div>
    So nice to see the fruits of my (lack of ) labors! You got your questions answered, and I got a few, too! May we all enjoy the glory of XM... B)

Seen on a billboard in Florida in 2003: "How do we provide coast-to-coast radio coverage? Satellites... big freakin' satellites. XM Radio."